Lookee what followed me home today

I do not know if it fits here, but I am happy that it came with me home.

8 Likes

Uh…what is it? The green box in the truck?

2 Likes

Yes, I was buying a 3-cutter planer and a chip extractor.
It does not work properly, but I hope I can fix it.

5 Likes

So, you’re planning on doing some planing? Building something or selling? I 've been thinking about doing something about all the lumber I have stacked too, but it seems I never get to it.

2 Likes

Thought to make floor boards and boards for the outer ceiling.
If the planer works, I get the right dimensions, so it should be easier to sell.

5 Likes

Finally found a little crane. Price a little bit to high, but you don’t see them a lot. Came with the trailer. The plan was to sell the trailer but it will stay. Nice small compact and can take 2 tons. Very happy with it. Had to get it from the other site of the country. I thought I was in Denmark.:grinning:

7 Likes

That is nice looking. Looks like someone mounted an engine crane on a nice trailer. Now you will be looking for things to load.

3 Likes

Ha, that is not a problem. The plan was 1000 kg pellets. But then this happens. I bought it as a combo, but something is not right. And 1 ton hurts if it hits you. The crane says 1.3 ton-meter. It is a little old like his new boss maybe. Anyway, some reinvorcements are needed. 400 kg is no problem.

4 Likes

Joep, you will need to add jack down out rigger corner legs.
You see these on Grid Utility trucks having man lifts.
Yours’s could be for RV motorhomes and trailers.
Regards
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Thanks Mr Steve. It has one, but you can’t turn the crane. Strange situation that needs some changes. Longer and lower. And some legs on the end of the trailer.

This one he did’t lift, 1000 kg. Maybe 900 kg will. But that is still a lot when things go wrong.

7 Likes

Wow.
This is one of those thousand words pictures JoepK.

How you are now is your trailer tires are the forces balance point. Of course it is going to tip.
Add weight to the opposite trailer side would do it. The racing sailboat way. Adding counter balance weight (the commercial crane way) is a non-doer in your case.
So you will be forced to extend your stability leg OUT. To at least the outer edge of your load. This puts you lifting between the jack legs pad end and your trailer wheels.
Your jack leg trailer end anchor point will be subjected to tremendous bending force.
You will have to make that a full meter long heavy walled insert tube.
And once your pallet swings over above your load side trailer wheels your tipping will lift your jack leg up. Expect this. Gives a lot of respect for what the ancients did with their boom lifts.
(Or give up. Break down the pallet. And stevedore hand transfer those fuel bags one at a time!)
Regards
Steve unruh

2 Likes

That is the usual way, want to change that.

Yes, fortunately is doesn’t swing on his own. There is a handwheel. Yes, respect. If this goes, it goes. And it is not even a rock like was done by the ancients.
I keep playing with it, probably next winter it will be finished. Pellets on my back, and the good thing is, firewood can easily be transported

3 Likes

I can’t tell what that skirt is on the back of the trailer so it may make a difference but I have built a fair number of trailers and have done the outriggers like this. I fix a pipe across the back of the trailer, same width. I cut another pipe O.D the same as the I.D on the trailer pipe and weld pipe or square tubing to the ends of the sliding pipe. The down pipe or tubing rides up and down in those with index holes drilled in the down riggers and one hole in the sleeve. Pull the sleeved pipe half way out of the trailer or a little more, drop the vertical pipes down until they hit the index hole closest to the ground, pin it and drive a couple wedges under it to tighten it. You can go with screw jacks but I’m a cheap ass. Anyway that will stabliize any load you can pick with that hoist. When you are done you turn the down pipes up and slide them back into the trailer pipe. Simple and cheap.

5 Likes

If you want max stated lift from a crane truck then try lifting your weights as close to the bed of the trailer as poss , it looks like you are at least 16 inches away and that would lower the lift amount a fair amount , try playing with some known weights and see what i mean starting as close to the bed and moving away .

yes, I did. With the pallet closest to the crane, he still couldn’t lift it. Almost. I guess if I take one layer off, it wil. Or fix the pressurething, but that one can’t be found. Maybe higher voltage, 18 or 20 V? No experience with hydraulics.

1 Like

I am assuming you have an electric motor driving a hydraulic pump. Changing the voltage would only make the pump run faster and the flow rate higher but the pressure wouldn’t change. Their should be a pressure release valve in the system. Typically it is on the control valve and is adjustable. But be careful you can blow a line or the pump if you close the valve too much and dead head the pump. Best thing is to put a pressure sensor in the system to make sure you don’t exceed the pumps rating and then adjust the pressure release. A local farmer or hydraulic transmission repair mechanic should be able to help you adjust the hydraulic pressure. I blew a fitting out of a hydraulic pump recently because I thought I was smart enough to just wing it myself without knowing the pressure. That made for a not so fun repair.

3 Likes

If that’s the case then i would not overload it, its just not worth what could go wrong get half ton pallets and load twice , much safer and easier to handle .
Dave

2 Likes

Safer, sure, but not transportable anymore. The plastic has to get cut.
Next weekend I will take another look for the pressuresensor/valve. It doesn’t need much. Thanks.

2 Likes

CL40 Ford skid steer. cute little V4, but sat outside got full of water. I’m converting to a 3 cyl. Diesel.

13 Likes

Hey AL,

skip to the article bottom and you’ll see little cutie could be made to make 150hp on carburetors. Saab themselves with boost took these out to 200-240hp in some Rallye classes.
Se if you can advertise it on auto parts site to old Saab 96 owners needing replacements.

Wikipedia may not allow anymore cross linking. Direct look up Ford Industial V4 to find. more information.
S.U.

6 Likes