Mazda B2000 Attempt, or Cody's Wackadoodle Builds

I’ve decided on my filtration for the downdraft charcoal. Going to use my tall ammo can and make a sock filter not unlike what Matt uses. For the time being I’ll use a towel or sew up some canvas socks. Gas going in from the top and filtering from the inside of the “sock” outwards. 2 inches in, 2 inches out.

I feel like I remember @KristijanL talking about having the gas enter on the outside of the sock, and finding that it self-cleaned because it formed cakes that could slough off the outside. I am thinking about filters a bit at the moment, so I will be curious to see some pictures of your design.

2 Likes

Something like this but more narrow and longer. With how easy it is to open these ammo cans I figure I can just make a few of these filters and change them out once a week for washing.
https://youtu.be/NHq9kBzmgxw

1 Like

But with how I’m making it, I can always reverse the filter direction.
If I do it like Kristijan does I could even add a bed of woodchips or some other filter media.

Got the body of the filter done. The pipe coming in from the lid protrude a good bit so I can attach a bag filter with a couple hose clamps. If I wanted to reverse the flow and filter from the outside of the bag like Kristijan I’ll probably just make a frame out of coathanger to give the bag shape.

3 Likes

Or do like Carl Zinn with his original laundry bag idea and form a shape you like from 1/4 mesh. Nice and ridged but easy to work with

6 Likes

Got a few socks sewn up. Got them in the washing machine. Couldn’t find my duck cloth so this spare upholstery I got for free will do for now. I’ll probably double them up just in case.
Since I haven’t tried to give the Mazda a taste of chargas I’ll see about testing that this week or weekend. I still need to find a way to get an elbow coming off the snorkel hat adapter to clear the hood. Even with just a simple 3" to 2" rubber adapter it’s hitting the hood. Might have to find a way to rig up something flat.

If I cared less I would cut a hole in the hood :joy:

1 Like

Obviously I could care less :joy:

But why not just leave the hood open just for that first breath? Then if the mood consumes you that you simply MUST drive it, then cut the hood haha

2 Likes

I need to get a 3" elbow and see if that will be low enough for the hood. Then I’ll try to trim out the underside support for some more clearance.
Directing it to the firewall will give me some wiggle room I think.

2 Likes

Cody and Norman:
Looks like a little hood “Cowl Induction” bodywork is called for, or a “Turbo Bump”. Subtle yet intriguing. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ll already have a Mr Fusion sitting in the truck bed, what’s a hose sticking from the hood in the grand scheme of things. :grin:

2 Likes

All things can be taken to the next level for a crazy image…how crazy are we getting???Screenshot_20210518-094959

I have found if you make it look like a crazy enough contraption of road hazardry, cops just give you a thumbs up and drive on by hahaha

2 Likes

Depending on the truck, could just be a snorkel air intake that blends right in :+1:

2 Likes

Y’know I’ve been wondering something.
Since the Mazda is carbureted I would need to upjet if I wanted to run ethanol fuel.
But with the air adjustment, wouldn’t that also allow me to use ethanol(or ethanol blended) fuel?
Since its just a matter of tweaking the AFR I would just be tweaking it from the Air end instead of the Fuel end of that ratio.

It seems like a no brainer but sometimes I’m just clueless about stuff like that.
I’ve been wondering this for a long time and I have a fuel alcohol permit for producing my own for the farm.

Got a 3" rubber elbow. Trimmed it as short as I can while still having 90 degrees to work with. I’m thinking the hood will just smush it down some of the way but hopefully not enough to make it collapse under throttle demand.
After trimming the elbow down it had a smaller inner diameter than the original mouth, so it fits nice and snug on the snorkel hat. Hose clamped down for redundancy.

2 Likes

It’s only a 3" diameter because that’s the size of the snorkel hat protrusion. It’ll be reduced down to 1.5" pipe so I can attach the brass butterfly valve I found at work for air adjustment and for the pool hose I got for free, which will most likely get replaced with vacuum cleaner hose when I get the funds and time for that.
Very close to testing.
I’ve already got the reactor refilled and a full 55 gallon drum of charcoal ready for DOing

1 Like

After dealing with the overheating problem on one of my simple fires I’m going to change over to flex steel lines. The vac hoses I use now are inch and a quarter and so is this stuff so it would be a simple swap using the same fittings.

1 Like

That looks like the same type i got out of the scrap bin Tom , just as well looking at the price they want for it , mine were about 30 inches long length’s 1inch in dia fingers crossed we get more come in again one day certainly worth saving ,
by the way what type of fittings do you have for joining the ends up ?

I think I’ll be fine. I have enough steel that the gas can cool off on before it gets to plastic lines. The gas comes out extremely cool to start out anyways.

She fits! Just barely.
Air adjustment is a 1.5" butterfly valve. I’m going to try to make as much of the filtered gas piping PVC and only use flex hose for bending parts. I think I can get away with it. Passenger side has no heat sources, exhaust is on driver’s side.
The hood does mush down the 3" elbow some but it doesn’t collapse under vacuum of the engine after testing that. Going to put a pod filter on the air adjustment side and get some kind of shutoff valve for the chargas end.
Had to dogsit for my dad this weekend so this is as much work as I’ve gotten done but I feel like it’s a huge step.

2 Likes