Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Good too here you back too work, i ran out of lemons on my christmas visit drive. Good luck with the miles BIO charcoing.

1 Like

Thank you.
What l wanted to say is the engine runs about the same in a range of about 100% open to 30% open on my 3/4" ball valve. Dont know why, but the ā€œsweetspotā€ was conciderably harder to find with a wood gasifier.

Whats your open valve csa?

1 Like

Kristijan, from 30% to 100% on a ball valve you would think there should be a noticeable change. Could you have a restriction in the line some where?
I notice a difference from 30% to 100% on my 3/4" ball valve.
My is adjusting air ratio to wood gas is the difference.
You will see when you get the AFR Meter installed, if you are adding more air or not from 30% to 100% setting on the valve.
Bob

1 Like

Hi Kristijan, Iā€™m glad you decided to ā€œgive it a goā€ before adding more complected devices such as water injection and air metering valves. There is a fair amount of water vapor in the exhaust gas depending on the humidity. Feed too much water and it will not get converted in the reduction zone but pass through and condense out later. One time I was demonstrating the charcoal gasifier on a damp winter day and with no EGR or water drip. Even then, water condened in the filter. Thanks for putting this project together and sharing with us the building and excitement of a successful run on CHARCOAL!
What great stuff!!!
Gary from PA

7 Likes

As what the others saidā€¦ :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:
keep it kisā€¦ it will always workā€¦
also no lemons left hereā€¦ ( i need them after reading all the posts on DOW, for every mile driven without dinofuelā€¦)
and i am enjoying your ride as wellā€¦ Wow on DOW with C

2 Likes

I donā€™t know my CSA, but I think about 2 1/2 turns open on a 5 turn 1 1/2" gate valve. So I guess that would be about .88 square inches. I need to recheck these numbers. It has been a while since my last drive.

I sure enjoy reading your experience.

3 Likes

Thanks for the thumbs up!

Bruce, thats way more thain l use! I guess my sistem is more restrictive.

Done a nother drive today. On char ofcorse! :wink:

Not the best video sorry. you can hear the anoying air valve anytime l depress the throtle pedal.
I ran out of cam memory (again :smile:) l wanted to show you guys driveing at 60mph on good old char :wink:

19 Likes

Impressive driving characteristics, looks indistinguishable from driving on dino, great acceleration, seems to have plenty of power yet to do more.

Very impressive build. Now it will be very informative to see the refinements, maintenance, and long term operating experience. Charcoal consumption per 100km, and eventually a comparison with water added will be very valuable.

I think everyone is looking forward to a walk around video, a startup video, and eventially a regular clean out / maintenance video.

Very impressed and inspired!

7 Likes

Enjoyed the ride very much. Seemed like a lot of traffic on the road. Were you going uphill, level, or down hill most of the time. No one will ever know you are driving on an alternate fuelā€” it appears to run as well on either fuel. TomC

3 Likes

Yes, yes, yes! I like it! :smile: Very impressive!
Congratulations!

Must be a great feeling being back on the road without dino fuel.

What Garry said. Walk around, startup, shut down, clean out videos. We want it all :wink:

Oh, and is that the air mixing valve or the gasifier inlet that makes that sound?
What was the approx speed in the video? Sounds like it has a lot more to give.

2 Likes

Thank you Garry and Tom!

Ha, listen to the anoying shhhhhh sound in the video. Every time it stops, there is a slight downhill :wink:

Well woodgas cars are no racecars, althugh l am most satisfied with the performance for now.

4 Likes

I enjoyed the drive with you very much Kristijan. Beautiful country side, I like the zero clearance between guardrails and the buildings next to the road. That would take some getting use to going 60 mph down the road for me. I Agree with what everyone has said, itā€™s a great accomplishment you have done here with this build, and with the Super Stealth Design.
Bob

1 Like

Ha, dont say JO! Looking at the petrol swich OFF while eccelerating is amazeing.

Aprox speed, 60-80kmh. As for the sound, dont laugh :smile: there is a temporairy 3/4" hose extending in under the driveing wheel with a ball valve at the end, thats my temporairy test air valve :smile:

Its nice thugh. I can hear exactly whats goeing on in the engine. Every minor backfire or valve tick is heard.

Edit; Bob, those houses scare the me allso. They were here long before the road got build, nowdays they wuld never get building permission that close. They are mostly abandoned, you can see why.

4 Likes

Love the video. Way to go!

I went out and rechecked my csa. I drive at 2 1/2 turns on an 8 turn 1 1/4 gate valve. So, I was WAY OFF. My new estimate is .25 square inch.

1 Like

Aha! Thats a more similar numer!

2 Likes

Running good kristijan,CONGRATS ON FINISHING YOUR CHAR GO MACHINE WITH ONE I OPEN.it is amazing how self regulating the air controls are once set.

2 Likes

Hi guys,

This is a unoficial walk around the char powered Mercedes :slight_smile:

One thing l did not mention. Being a cheap l didnt buy expensive cheramic wool insulation to insulate the hearth from the inside. I tested a nother idea l posted a while back.
I soaked the same material 3cm rockwool plates seen on the video as hopper insulation with sodium silicate and lined the inside with them. Loaded corse char in and intentionaly overheated the gasifier with a shopvac (before it was installed in the trunk). The rockwool/sodium silicate mix baked in a strong crust, and prevented the britle rockwool plates from desintigrateing inside. Todays emptying showed no deterioration with the plates that sit maybee a inch away from hell. I strongly recomend this, it only cost me about 2$!

Have a happy new year!

Edit: WRONG LINK! Look at the link below.

8 Likes

I like it !:grinning:

2 Likes

I do like that video but I wonder if you been breathing to much CO. You already uploaded this one before. Or maybe the New Year snaps is talking already :smile:
Good news on the sodium silicate rockwool. Happy New Year :fireworks:

5 Likes

Very smooth running, Kristijan, congratulations. And a Happy New Year to you and yours.
Pepe

1 Like