New Member question on International 1949 KB2 gas pickup

Chris, I am with Bronlin in that I wanted a 4x4. I bought a 97 that was supposed to have the 5.9 engine but it turned out to be the 5.2. I haven’t driven it on wood very much yet , but I did have it up to 69 mph on 100% wood gas. I found a 5.9 engine that I bought that I eventually will put in it but I will just use the 5.2 for now. If you could find a 97-99 Dakota RT that would make a great wood gas truck as they had the 5.9. Trouble is they are usually more money as they are kinda a hot rod.

GC

12 Likes

I wouldn’t go too crazy trying to swap out a 5.9 for a 5.2 unless you really need the new engine. 40 cubic inches is not that big a deal. As usual it’s more about getting any fuel in and out. Heads and exhaust do that. Some thoughts from Uncle Tony’s garage.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=318+with+340+heads

10 Likes

Tom, I agree if I were wanting to get more high end power, but my drag racing days are over and what I want is more low end torque. That’s what the gasifier needs for improved cruising speed at low rpm.

GC

12 Likes

Thanks everyone! So I will not be afraid of getting a 4x4 then. As Wayne said it will probably not be your last vehicle you will do.
What do you all think about manual transmissions? I know automatics are easier. I’ve read you need to keep the rpms up when starting out. I’m totally new to DOW. I have had manual transmissions my whole life so not new to them. Thanks again Chris

12 Likes

Manual should be fine. You’ll have an easier time idling since you can just knock it out of gear at a standstill and turn the idle up, and when you’re going downhill your engine braking will keep demand up on the gasifier to gun it on the uphill. If manual is already second nature for you like you said you’ll be alright.

10 Likes

Thanks Cody! Life just got simpler in the search.

8 Likes

I’m running a 97 dakota sport 4x4 with the 5.9L magnum. Dropped the box and went with a flat bed.

I can’t push 80 like Wayne, but i can run 65mph. Thats running it on soft wood. But plan to try oak here this fall/winter.

Currently not running on wood. Hopper temp gauge has been flaky and i got it too hot and burned the hopper seal.
Planning on replacing hopper temp prob and making new seal… just need to find the time to do it.

Good luck finding a truck!

16 Likes