New to Gasification - Where to start?

When it does go into gasifying mode, this is when you want to load up the firebox as well. Get it going and then throttle the valves back and let it go. Once it stops gasifying its done. You then harvest the coals out of the fire box and thats another 5 gallons worth of charcoal on top of the charcoal in the retort. I probably get around 12 to 20 gallons per batch and its only a 10 gallon retort. If the fuel is too wet then it takes more loads to get it done. So if it has not completed in one day. I will harvest that charcoal for the day and then start with a fresh load the next.

6 Likes

Thanks much Matt. I see several improvements I need to make. Back to work. I drilled breath holes around the bottom of my 55 gal. so I may not be able to control air supply very well on this proto-type. Ill probably replace the 55 gal barrel. Im constantly looking for barrels with the removable tops. They sure are hard to find in my area. I’ll post my progress. Thanks, Joe

11 Likes

Hi ya-all, I finally had success. I took Cody’s advice and re-split to a much smaller size. I ended with a nice batch of coal. I tried to load a picture here but couldn’t get it done.

In the end I think my problems were; pieces too big and my rig is not well balanced. What I mean is I think that the inner retort container (30gal) is a bit too big for the 55gal outer container. It worked really well when 1/2 full of smaller pieces. Eventually I’ll make a new rig.

Thanks for all your kind help. Next step is the charcoal gasifier.

9 Likes

You could check out @Chuckw’s tipped barrel. About as simple as it gets.
Rindert

13 Likes

Wow, that does seem easy.

2 Likes

Yeah, this whole gasification thingy doesn’t need to be difficult, at least if you are willing to accept very basic results to begin with. Like, baby steps and all that.
So now that you have some charcoal to work with its time to start making gas. I made something out of a 5" pipe. Its not ideal but it got my old flat head Briggs geni running. Its based on @k_vanlooken’s thread Some School in Thailand. Just one thing you really need to know: you must have at least 24" of charcoal above the nozzle. I came away feeling like you cant miss, even though I did a bunch of stuff wrong. Heres a link to my experience. LINK
Rindert
DSCN3250

15 Likes

This is a little strange. Did I shut down the discussion?
Rindert

4 Likes

No, im still here. Ive just been distracted with a new puppy and some other projects. I gotta get back to this soon. Thanks for pinging me.

7 Likes

Way cool!
(20 characters)

5 Likes

Hi Dave & Brian, I’m trying to get back to this Simple Fire project. I got a 16 gallon drum today. Was wondering if this is a good size to run Gennie for 4 hours?

Your thoughts or anyones thoughts?

Kind regards, Joe

3 Likes

16 gallon drum might run you about 30-45 minutes.

3 Likes

Humm, any idea how big i’d have to go to get to 4 hours?

2 Likes

I think Gary was getting 1/2 hour out of a 6 gallon can.

2 Likes

I think you’d want to aim for a 100lb propane tank, or a 40 gallon hot water heater tank. For updraft, go more tall than wide.

3 Likes

Dave is the only one I’m aware of that gets those kinds of hours. I have an updraft with a fifty gallon waterheater tank and I assume it would have enough fuel but it has never run unattended for that long. I find it necessary to adjust the metering valve occasionally. I go by the way the engine sounds so if I wasn’t paying attention while doing other things i think it would probably shut down. I assume others with more experience than me have overcome some of those limitations. Matt Ryan’s gasifiers could be run like that but I think it takes the electronics he has incorporated.

9 Likes

Thanks Cody and Tom, I’ll press on with the 16 gal for now and plan to upgrade to a larger one later.

Great advice, Thanks, Joe

5 Likes

I dont have electronics on the charcoal units

5 Likes

A better way to build bigger is to team multiple units into one centralized filter. There are many advantages to this. One of coarse is fuel capacity, but when you have multiple units as a whole it will run more stable. If one unit has a hiccup for what ever reason the otherone will compensate. Another reason is having two or more units in a team allows re fueling on the fly. You install ball valves on the gas out between each gasifier and the filter unit. When you want to refuel you turn off the valve and the other unit will keep things going while you refuel the other machine. Then you switch and re fuel the other one.

10 Likes

This set up here ran for 6 plus hours per hopper charge.

14 Likes

Hey Joe , as everyone has mentioned a 16 gallon wont go very last too long , but its not a game changer as long as you are prepared to top up every 30 mins or so depending on your gas demand , what i can say though is with a bottom vertically aimed nozzle in a 45gal /200 litre drum i can get a run time of around 4 hours and sometimes a little more again all depends on how much power i am needing , a 100lbs propane tank with a horizontal nozzle 6 inches off the bottom used to last me close too 2 hours run time , all my charcoal was put through a crusher that made very uniformed charcoal of between 3mm all the way up too around 16mm , i never used a water drip or egr in my simple fires i managed to get a long run time on the nozzles through experimenting with materials of all types over the years , all nozzles are mentioned in this post that most members have contributed too Nozzles for Charcoal gasifiers, part 2
all the best with your build and cant wait too see your results in pictures and video’s if possible please .
Dave

14 Likes