Onan twin carb connection

Oh yes. Makes for a strong crankshaft at least. “Hopper” (jumps up and down) engine set up.
The one piston up while one piston down side-by-sides can be crank shaft breakers. AND have lopping (unevenly spaced) power pulses.

I am a real late comer into generator and power equipment’s V-Twins.
All in all the best compromises for the smallest footprints and lightest weights in 18hp and up to 30hp, imho.
And I am for the last 10 year 100% overhead valve all of the way. Well worth the extra complexity. Louis Chevrolet was right back in the 1920’s.
Anything I have overhead cams is not because I sought it out. It came with the equipment. Totally unnecessary in small engines, 3600rpm and below. Again imho.
S.U.

1 Like

You probably have a Honda GC series. Its a clone fighter designed to be cheaper to build than a GX clone. Honda has been fighting tooth and nail with clones and not winning. They will probably not stop building a GC engine but I think they gave up and made a cheaper GX called the GP because the GC just was not going to win. ( not a very good engine).

Fundamentally if it had not been for China we would be paying 600 dollars for a GX200, 400 dollars for Briggs and Stratton.

Honda GP series.
You won;t see it here though. The closer to Asia you are the more cut throat the real competition is, but not here.
Here you get this steamer…

3 Likes

right now im running a 2 cycle its one of those capacitor deals im not to up on electronics im still learning in that area but i do wind transformers and mess with capacitors rectifyers i did put a few start capacitors in the circuit it seams to really help the voltage spikes and the little generator just humms along at near idle speeds without the caps it would run erratic on some loads
if i had the materials i would be building a kind of gas flywheel generator i think that would greatly smooth the ac ultimately dc inverter with the generator produceing dc instead of ac then you would get a much better sine wave and store near 90 percent of the power generated into a battery bank i have a big heavy John deere m flywheel you talk about dead weight i think a belt friction issue could be solved with a one way bearing like on a bicycle the ones ive seen on youtube might work for a brief time hence the reason the videos never show it working for long but the scaled up version is kind of impressive and scary at the same time its amazing to me how in the world does india people afford to build these kinds of things that would cost us a fortune i looked at the cost of the type of generator they are using and it would cost a lot to get one shipped but of course they are using a 220v generator and useing a 110 leg to drive the electric motor im sure there they are just happy to run a drill and sine wave/voltage flux doesnt matter it amazing how these people live they reuse everything i have seen guys sitting on a cushion grinding lead from batteries arc welding with sun glasses i feel sorry and privileged that americans have access to ppe and materials in my neck of the woods of ky getting a pieace of steel is practically prying it out of their hands yet it sits around for years wasteing kentucky has a hoard problem many of Appalachia is impoverished but the only true way of getting out of poverty is to make an effort to produce and stop letting the government pay you not to work or grow/farm we have more land whales and on the first of the month the processed junk food isle is cleared out its actually quite sikening to see carts filled with junk food and a 600 pound woman with gut hanging out in leggings its truly sad the obesity epidemic and poverty so they will hold onto scrap like its gold perhaps i could offer ho ho’s and ding dongs for scrap lol
getting a 55 gallon drum is very diffacult so what i make or build has to be carefully planned out here is a video of a scaled up version of a flywheel generator i dont think even a heavy load would phase something of this scale

1 Like

It is more efficient to generate AC then it is DC. You are looking at converting the AC to dc to store in a battery bank anyway, usually they use pulsed dc though.

I doubt you can get 90% roundtrip efficiency with flywheel storage DIY. The commercial products put the flywheels in vacuums to reduce air friction, and use some needle bearings for the flywheel to reduce drag. It is possible to store energy that way, but I don’t know what the energy density would be. I don’t think it is super high.

2 Likes

ok so i have been making bio char in my hot water tank i made a pit under it and i cram sticks and wood debree in it just keep feeding the fire i end up with a good bit of biochar but after i quench it i was wondering if i can turn it into better charcoal/dry it in a tank without oxygen
i read on here about engine grade and such but im confused as to how good does the charcoal need to be?
i get that it has to be dry and of a certain size i have sifters that i made for soil since my area is full of rocks i have a lot of pine from the ice storm while its green i can get it to burn under my hot water tank it has to be cut short in order for me to cram it under the tank i end up with a good sized stock pot each run
since im just going ti run small engine how critical does the charcoal need to be?
this is what i was planning on putting the biochar in then “cooking” it to get the moisture and such out i don’t have a 55 gallon drum to make a fancy setup…
but i want to know what im doing so i dont waste time doing it…the stuff im useing is not firewood quality im getting rid of the many pine trees that the ice storm brought down

1 Like

the well pressure tank outlet rusted through so i cut the hole the dize of the pipe and welded it to the tank then took a flat pieace and welded it to the coupler
yes my “cap” holds water i tested for pinholes orginally i was going to make this setup a plastic pyrolysis setup but decided not to mess with plastic right now so i have an old air compressor tank that i can make my charcoal unit that connects to the onan generator while this would be more ideal for that purpose maybe after a good charcoal run it will be more clean for that purpose

1 Like