Oxy-Acetylene cutting with CNC machine

I modified my CNC machine this week so that I could cut steel. This should make making parts mush easier for a gasifier. Still learning speed rates for best cut.

Scott

Howdy Scott,
That’s pretty Cool, makes a nice cut.
TerryL

Hi Scott,

If you can possibly arrange a water table to cut on, it is a huge step up.

Thanks Terry. I am still experimenting with programming cut speeds and pre-heat times. Overall I am satisfied with it so far. The part on the left was cut at 10 inches per minute and it burnt and slagged out really bad. I increased to speed on the second part to 15 IPM and the edge was really clean and measured within .020 of the drawn dimension. I need to increase the kerf allowance just a little. I would like to add a water table to control smoke/slag but because this is primarily a CNC router I cannot easily build a water table under it. I wanted something that I could switch back and forth in a few minutes. The “dogbone” part allows me to change the torch height in just a couple of minutes. I used the machine in the router mode to machine out all of the aluminum plate parts for the torch addition.

Scott

I love this machine. I built a machine a few months ago, which I use for wood and experiments. I’m I’m doing one for oxy acetylene cutting. I’m curious as to how you lit and out the torch.

1 Like
1 Like