Plumbing vs Electricity

There are people here from all kinds of trades and I have learned a lot from them. This is my shot at trying to give back a little. Plumbers know more about electricity than they realize. So here goes my comparison of the basics between the two
Voltage = pressure
Amps = gallons per minute
Resistance= friction losses
Watts= work done which means I don’t know maybe how fast the pot gets filled with water?
If I fill up a 1 gal pot in my sink using my house hold pressure of 30 psi through that braided 3/8 flex that feeds the faucet it takes me say 1 min. I go out side and use my 3/4 garden hose it takes 30 seconds. Same work done. The difference half the friction losses. OK I don’t know the actual friction losses between a 3/8 vs 3/4 pipe if they are actually half or not but the idea here is to get you thinking.
Pulse width modulation PWM if you are spinning up a pinwheel (motor) by squirting it with a garden hose and are able to turn the hose on and off very fast . You may start by squirting for 4 seconds off for 1 then maybe on 3 off 2 because your pinwheel is coming up to speed on 2 off 2 on 1 off 1 now because its spinning at the speed you want. Put a load on it now maybe you have to throw in a couple 3 sec squirts to keep it at speed . Load goes away now back to the 1 sec sqirts. Confused yet ?
Tomw

5 Likes

The biggest load problem we might have is powering those blowers in the back from our “grid” in the front. 4 blowers @ 5 or 6 amps each works best with 2 - 15 amp circuits wired with a minimum of #14 copper. Minimum loss.

3 Likes

I’m trying to learn more about electrical and that helps!
Voltage- pressure
Amps- volume
Resistance- friction loses
Watts- work
Do I have that right?

1 Like

Good subject.
Water circuit analogy to electric circuit
or this
An analogy - water circuits for electric circuits. - YouTube

1 Like

Yes Herb
On some of the motors on our equipment from abroad they are rated in kW you won’t find a horse power rating on them.

1 Like

Yeah, carl is right. Sometimes Continuous sounds like the pipe are overflowing, and the type of issues arrive. Must visit the plumber or local electrician of your area or learn to solve these common issues by yourself.

2 Likes

And if you have the experiences in Heating, Cooling and Ventilation; buildings or automotive, these comparisons work too.

Although usually it is learning the other way . . . . electricity experiences to then refrigerants and air flow needs to learn.

And then the really tricky stuff.
In the one house the still working 28-year-old Maytag clothes washer now flickers the lights with any loads spinning misbalancing. I do not figure the lighting circuits have changed. That washer motor is going to soon become an issue needing retiring out.

In the other house our outside security cameras system wireless Ethernet bridge will no longer stay synced-up and communicate. It has worked fine through power outages and internet interruptions for nearly a year now. A dying bridge master “box”? A close lighting stike when we were not there?
Or . . . could be the old, old 29-year-old big Amana refrigerator my wife had me put back into service for a family get-together? Hmm. It is on the same 120 VAC branch circuit now that I think about it?

Honestly fellows Life has always been this way. A good Spring and most of the rabbits birthed lived. Then the coyote kits mostly survived too, well fed. Late Autum now and those youngsters emancipated coyotes now have found my chickens. Hungry. Chasing rabbits down is work.
And everybody likes chicken meat!!
Grump. Grump. We are now having to buy out eggs.

Cause and Effects. Ripples in the flows. Self-rebalancing’s. It is easy smooth that is the Abby-Normal. The artificial that we create and maintain.
Steve unruh

5 Likes

I wish I was a plumber

You can drink water
Try that with electricity, you burn your lips

7 Likes

We are nearing the peak cycle right now for small game I am seeing more rabbits and grouse this year then in last seven years past. Grouse are 6-7 year up down cycle, rabbits 3-5. Also seeing a peak in coyote numbers, 2 litters in the locals that all 4 pups survived spring and summer. The natural way is nature comes and goes we just get to live in it and if done properly take the creme off the top of the crop. Deer and elk are abundant in the back yard, but step dad saw black bear scat down the driveway the other day… Calf elk kill in the neighbors field. Several barn cats missing. Who to blame I couldn’t say but some predators will be on high alert from my presence when season comes around. Dad’s chickens are aging out and has lost 3 to racoons this year, in spring new chicks will need protection.

7 Likes

I think there is an out of balance switch that is supposed to shut the washer down when it is way out of balance. I’m guessing the main bearing is wobbling just enough to bump that switch.

As far as your wireless, probably interference, which may be caused by a fridge motor, microwave, etc you might have to switch wireless channels. Reception issues like the antenna direction or a branch wire in the way can screw it up But those types of symptoms also happen with hacked devices. Where there are using the device to spam a server.