Predator 224 6.6 hp

s-l400 (2)

What about this after the tav2? I had a reverse gear box on my first Commuter Sasquatch. It was a blast in the snow

4 Likes

I think the highest horsies these can take is 13hp, so it should be fine. I’ve been wanting to get one.

Technically you put the tav2 driven pulley on that long shaft, but you have to get a longer belt. You could just put a sprocket on there though and run some #35 chain.

2 Likes

And I have become a Harbor Freight Groupie…as I passed through Marquette, I stopped, again, and bought a lonely “Open Box” Predator 212 they had sitting there.
I better find a twelve step program.

@Norman89 , I watched your predator play list. I actually have something from the old days that could use a predator… around here, they were called “Doodle Bugs”…I better post a picture. But basically, it’s an old car frame with a narrowed front and rear axles. Its old. Solid straight front axle. Same deal as the play list though. They welded seats to the frame and had a chain drive apparatus driving the transmission input shaft.

One note from the play list, the fella with the orange D50 said a torque converter didn’t work on his truck.

4 Likes

Yeah the belts slip from the weight and burn them up.

I do know the guy from Robot Cantina has had luck with putting a torque converter equipped 212 and 420 into a Honda Insight, but that’s a small aluminum framed car.

I’d say if you want to put it on anything bigger than a golf cart or big go kart, go with a centrifugal clutch because once it’s at 1500~1800 RPM there’s no slip.

With a centrifugal clutch you also get a little bit of some engine braking until the engine gets below the grab point. On my motorized huffy I had a predator 79cc that I got up to 45mph, I only had the coaster brake for stopping but luckily if I just let off the throttle it would engine brake down to about 25 mph and then I could stand on the pedal to slow down.

1 Like

Immna sleep on this idea. I have a buzz saw with a flywheel. I am thinking of using the a predator and tav2 combo to spin up the flywheel/ saw blade. Its not sexy like a mini bike, although probably a lot more dangerous when the blade is throwing the blocks.
I want see what a constant rpm engine can do with that flywheel through that tav2. Slipping is ok, as otherwise something explodes. I wanna see how the blade catches up to the engine rpm. Whether it’s still all governor or if the clutch ratio trades torque for rpm.
Like this Cat with a Kohler fourstroke…

3 Likes

I wanna say if you got the uneven belt, the ratio goes from 3:1 to .9:1. It’s main advantage is having a low RPM under drive

Edit: I can never remember which side the 1 goes on the colon for underdrive and overdrive.

3 spins of the engine for 1 wheel rotation and .9 engine to 1 wheel.

3 Likes

Comet clutch is still in business. www.cometclutches.com I talked with them when I had an opportunity to by the inventory/assets of a small EV car manufacturer several years ago. I have one of their competition clutches on a Dingo type go-cart I picked up for my son a decade ago.

6 Likes

The went bust in the great recession

I think The same company that bought Tecumseh bought them and returned some of their products back to production but I can not say for certain.
There are a lot of Chinese parts out there and there is a chance some of what you buy branded Comet is a mixture of old and new Chinese parts

From the website:
“Certified Parts Corporation (CPC), based in Janesville, Wisconsin acquired Hoffco/Comet December 17, 2009.”

I’m going to double down on that I was right certified did buy the assets.
They have grown over the years buying the rights to defunct companies keeping the parts flowing.
Mostly in warehousing of old parts but some new stuff is manufactured in China when there is a demand.

http://www.certifiedpartscorp.com/EpiphanyWeb/FlexPage.aspx?ID=201

3 Likes

Your thinking of the Asymmetric belt 30 series.
There was an older 20 that used a V belt and a bigger 40 that uses a v belt.
The 30 series does have the over drive and a wider ratio than the others.

Down side is you lose about 10% of your power to friction for that.
Good for mower karts and minibikes, even utility and garden equipment used them.

2 Likes

I’ve never been a big fan of them, but when you’re making a 3hp engine rotate a 26 inch wheel you need every ounce of the power from the engine. Motorized bike guys have seen it sucks up a lot of the horsepower to run a CVT, plus adds to the size and weight.

I normally run a centrifugal clutch, guys have figured out how to make them work for an automatic 2 speed, or a semi automatic using variators to change ratio.
I just make do with 1 speed typically.

3 Likes

Centrifugal Clutches work just fine as long as you are geared right and keep them locked up.

I had one bike that could turn a brand new belt into crumb rubber in about 15 minutes.
The first 2 minutes of that were the best and by the end of a heat you needed a belt change.

I don’t have any pictures but PIC belt both stink and have a kevlar belt in them that wears funny.
An afternoon can ruin 30 series clutch using one in a high HP application.
Dayco belts are worth the money.

2 Likes

You made it sound like they were out of business. I knew they were very ready and willing to supply a drive train for the vehicles I was considering buying a few years back. It sure did not take long for them to provide specifications for a drive - in quantity - and a unit price. Glad that they are still around in some form. Typically darn tough for a family owned enterprise to survive once the founders pass away. Becoming an addition to another companies product lines can be a major recovery for a company in need of capitol improvement.
If you were to go to the IMTS show in Chicago and see new machining centers machining an entire V-6 automotive engine block in a matter of under 4 minutes - you’d understand how there are times when an ultra modern CNC machining center can produce months - years worth of inventory for a company in a matter of days/weeks rather than the parent company plodding along year around with manual, NC, and older CNC machines. Yes - the parent shop can get the job done but after decades of use - the limitations of the original machines in accuracy and speed become an issue. After decades of use they are worn, slow and support often nonexistent. In a modern world where you need to compete with off shore suppliers who made the high end investment in new buildings and machinery - the little guy struggles. This is one of the reasons I gave up on my machine shop. Just one of my CNC mills is an example. A fine Cincinnati Toolmaster vertical mill. Think of it as a heavy duty Bridgeport. Originally was built with NC control. Upgraded when it had 235 actual hours on the control clock to CNC. It was then only used in a high school training program for 5 years. Then I bought it. I doubt I put 125 hours on it total before the fire destroyed it - melted the servo drives off. The lip seals for the linear scales failed about 8 years ago. That allowed dust into the scales which would result in the computer getting false information from the scales that told it where everything was. The stupidly simple rubber seal material became obsolete. Nothing similar available. Think of it looking like a long piece of wind shield wiper rubber that was sold only to dealers in 150 meter rolls. The only way to repair the excellent condition but slow - 2 1/2 axis machine was to buy new scales with a different lip seal design. Cost for 3 scales - about $8,000. USD. I could use the money for a much newer, faster, more accurate, multi axis machine with factory support - if I wanted to spend the money (my income/retirement). At a certain point it is understood that the investment may not be recouped - ever. Multiply that by dozens of machines - and you get the idea why an old family owned company sells off the product rights and shuts down.

4 Likes

No sure I would have. Unless the blade is fairly small in diameter I fear that you may have too much rpm difference for the tension in the blade. I hope I’m wrong.

2 Likes

They are out of business Certified parts is a company that buys defunct companies to resell their remaining inventory.
They are as dead as Lauson…
Just a brand now.

The good news is Certified parts does have new parts made now and then when demand high, they own the rights to these things and names.
The parts are made by someone in China.

Here is the part of Tecumseh that did not go out of business.

This is the part that did…
Notice the logo change.
All new parts are made in China under contract from LCT.
http://www.lausonpower.com/EpiphanyWeb/FlexPage.aspx?ID=137
I draw a distinction here because I can tell the difference in the parts ( for one thing this is a case where the Chinese parts are actually better than the US version )

Now in Canada and the USA when a manufacturing company goes out of business or restructures their goal is to cut cost and return to profitability.
This means automation and cost cutting and streamline.

It leads to a death spiral ( anyone here want to buy a Chrysler and notice they have trucks on the lots HA HA )
The best employees leave because of wage cuts.
New more advanced products are not introduced so much as existing ones are cheapend slimmed down and sold on.

This is not how its done in a place like Germany or France where you need to keep you best workers and buy new equipment to build new better products to stay alive.
We build the cheapest in the race to the bottom and pay the cheapest.
We use automation to dum down jobs and reduce costs not to improve and enhance worker productivity.

Bankrupt restructured companies do this at an accelerated rate too.
Look at GM and the two tier wage systems they have in the USA.
This is not how you build new cars faster or better.

At least Certified parts keeps parts on the shelf.
But its no substitute for a family owned company that’s trying to innovate and grow.

2 Likes

You speak great truths here Wallace.
The biggest problem with corporate manufacturing America since for the last 60 years has been America Management culture. They have attended the same Universities. Have the same personal wealth building expectations. Many of these the privileged sons of the originators.
After the 50’s they ran out of little fish to eat so by the 70’s began cannibalizing themselves.
S.U.

2 Likes