Properties of a good wood gasifier

Thanks, Cody. I’ll sleep slightly better tonight :slightly_smiling_face:. I don’t think I still have my copy, so checking would be difficult.

8 Likes

Kristijan, I have had my doubts about how time works in Slovenia - getting things done super fast and so on. Seems even your night time habits are already approaching an 80 yo :grin::wink:

13 Likes

have the same syndrom…found this engine in internet market place…should i take it or not??
no sleep till after midnight…pasquali diesel 18 hp with cart traction …so as some experts here are converting diesels to wood-chargas successfully, a big temptation…with electric ignition …?
recently the idea for a gasified motorcycle in the head, the same syndrom…

17 Likes

Giorgio, this is a good machine, the engine is a Lombardini approx. 1000 cc, it has direct fuel injection and CR approx. 1:17, it was tested in hybrid mode by Kristjan, who has an identical engine on his Tomovinkovic
, with some modifications, it can become a 100% wood gas engine, that’s how I intend to adapt the Jenbacher.
20 years ago I had an IMT 509 motor cultivator, this model does not have a differential and is difficult to control while driving, so I disconnected the wheel drive of the motor cultivator for driving, the power transmission only worked at the rear of the trailer. This model has a very fast 4th gear and develops a speed close to 40 km/h, which is an excellent speed for driving on the road, for this machine it is also not necessary to have an exam and it is not necessary to register it, very interesting for legal driving on the road.

13 Likes

Forest Gump would be proud to drive that machine for sure.

8 Likes

tone, i think in slovenia is yet a great paradise if you can circulate free with vehicles like this…
in italy there is no idea about this…you pay everywhere, need a lot of insurances and licenses, actually THEY discuss if they should make obligatory drivers license and so on also for e-bikes…the system is like to try to press out the last drop of juice from a lemon, because you must pay for all and everything…
when i buy this vehicle, i must make registration on my name for it…costs and they have me on the radar as a owner of a “dangerous” vehicle, where a drop of oil can fall from time to time on the ground…terrible, terrible…
actually they have in mind a lot of stupid laws in the EU about vehicles older than 30 years and generally when they have no insurance and inspection more…they think you must demolize them…of course on your own cost…
where we are arrived? …yes, we are arrived…
also wood heating in stoves - in germany- ends in end of 2024 and is forbidden than, like their idea…we will see…

12 Likes

My brother Pavel wrote this:

How can a change in heating, when 1.2 kg of coal is burned instead of 1 kg of firewood, be called a green transition, decarbonization, decarbonization… :interrobang:

and that even with such a justification of the law, :roll_eyes:

and forces the population into this transition.:face_with_thermometer:

Why are people being forced to use a heating source that is the only one that is neutral in terms of environmental impact, as it is renewed all the time, :point_up:
they replace it with a proven non-renewable one that has the highest possible emissions.:interrobang:

Wood is the purest form
storage of the sun‼️

To explain the numbers…

The average calorific value of wood is 4.04 kWh/kg. (source in the comment)

In 2021, TEŠ consumed 2,741,604 tons of coal and sent 3,166,369 MWh of electricity to the network (source in the comment),
which means it produces
1.15 kWh from 1 kg👈 of coal.

If we heat with a heat pump instead of wood, which has
SCOP 3 (which is very good),
and if the electricity for it is obtained in TEŠ, 1.2 kg of coal must be burned to obtain it,
but this does not include transmission losses (power lines, transformers, wires), which amount to an additional 10%…

SCOP is the annual heating number,… which is the actual ratio between the emitted useful heat and all the electricity input in one year.

… “HOW DARE YOU” :fire:

15 Likes

i think, in future, if this future can take place, this is the only car (without combustion engine) THEY will allow us…
bio degradable and healthy, mussel training, fresh air,
jokes aside, those who like to command all of us ( the politicans are only their willing helpers) like to destroy (world economic forum: creative chaos)the actually grown structures, what will help them to reduce population number, as destruction of agriculture, limitation of energy, and so on, because in their sight the big population is the greatest danger for them…
when people are numerous and rise up…than they cannot stop nothing more…
therefore they will also take away cash money for better or better said maximum control of each of us…till comes the plandemic situation, i was not more interested in politics, but than , seeing how they will always more take away our human fundamental rights, i was interested again in this arguments…it is a big concept with only one goal…
seeing this , we can recognize we are in the end times of the bible and a lot of other serious propheties…

12 Likes

Sorry to invade your thread, Tone. I agree with you 99% of the time. This is for Giorgio, one of my less viewed YouTube videos, some of the fast bikes, many are home built, all human power only. (Very healthy humans!! :laughing:)

None of them spilling oil on the track…
Edit: Believe it or not, there is a really nasty hill-climb on this track, my heart and lungs remember the pain well. :face_with_head_bandage: :sweat_smile: :cowboy_hat_face:
Edit II:
I am not one of the competitors in this class, I have only run in stock class with my antique 10 speed upright bike! :rofl:

12 Likes

conversion of the piston to new piston rings …

14 Likes

While I agree in premise, the difference is simply, it is much easier to change the coal for something else. Back in like 2009 we had a similar piece of propaganda against Electric Vehicles, that was based on 2004 data. It was true, half the US actually had greater emissions because of the coal plants, but since then, we have massively changed to Natural Gas for power plants. The Natural Gas allows us to put more variable renewable energy projects on the grid without the need for battery storage.

The second part is it takes forever in the US to get people to change out their heating systems. Requiring now, means when the eventual switch from coal happens, then most people are already on high efficiency systems.

What usually happens, is people switch to wood, then when energy prices fall, they stop using wood and go back to using fossil fuels. you most likely don’t fall in the ‘most people’ category.

The last part is if everyone switches to wood, is there enough wood resources? If it takes 50 years for a tree to grow before harvest, then they need 50 trees growing for everyone that is cut down. And there WILL be a lumber shortage in the next 10-20 years. IF the forest no longer exists, then it is no longer a carbon storage system that offsets the coal…

If you want to be environmentally conscious or even cost conscious, it is probably a good idea to look at solar to supplement your energy needs.

I am not saying the policy is good or bad, just that there are probably other factors being taken into consideration that are beyond simple emissions. It is part of the awkward growth.

2 Likes

Tone,
I don’t understand your pictures. Did you add material to the piston by welding? Tig?
Rindert

5 Likes

The new piston rings are slightly narrower than the original ones, so I had to make new grooves. Tig aluminum welding requires very clean material and a certain width for welding, so I removed one barrier between the grooves and thus got a suitable width and a clean surface. … I slowly welded this part using the tig AC process, …

18 Likes

Now I am sure that under your work clothes you have a cape and a big letter S on your chest. I would never have thought of doing that. What is that bottom groove for? an oil ring?

14 Likes

Yes Mr Steve, you beat me to it.

Excellent work Tone, once again. We just take your adventures for normal. As it seems we want the same, heating the house with a generator. One thing I am fighting with is the fumes. Are you planning to do some filtering? I tried charcoal, haha, the exhaust pulses blow them all out the chimney. Next step is making the pulses go away and taking the heat out. Any plans in that direction?

Thanks Antony, now I can sleep again. :grinning:

9 Likes

Gasifier sealing is the key to good performance, but even more precise and important is engine sealing to take advantage of the high pressure of the expansion of hot gases during combustion, so these days I deal with piston rings, well, today I solve the clearance of the bronze bushing on the piston. The old bushing rotated in the connecting rod housing and the seat became oval, I solved this on the lathe, but now I have to make a new bronze bushing with a tight fit on the connecting rod…

19 Likes

Nice work Tone, this engine will for sure run good on woodgas.

9 Likes

I don’t know what to say, Tone - other than it’s very impressive what you are doing.

14 Likes

Awesome Tone, I’m just curious, are you using oil-impregnated bronze or regular bronze? It looks like regular bronze.
Since it is only a bushing it probably doesn’t matter, I would go for regular bronze but I was wondering what would be best for lubrication since there will be a bearing in there. Or is it the bronze being the bearing on this?

Clever by the way, to weld it onto something to be able to use the lathe :smiley:

Edit: I looked up what an oil-film bearing is called in english and one suggestion was bushing so therefor the questions

11 Likes

Nice work Tone, i’ve said it before: i wish you and i where neighbours, i would probably “hang around” watching and discussin, until you kicked me out the workshop door :rofl: :crazy_face:

17 Likes