Questions about 1995 F-350 with EFI

Hi my name is Dave I am starting my first Gasification project with a 1995 F-350 with a 360 motor and EFI… Is going dual fuel as simple as putting an off switch on the fuel tank pumps and the EFI System or is there more to it than that?

Hi Dave and wellcome to the site!

It depends. Usualy killing the pump is enough, althugh sometimes some systems syphon some petrol. If all else fails injectors can be swiched off too.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

Welcome to DOW.
My personal preference and advice is to go with an injector emulator. ( google search will reveal availability in your region)
Same as you do when you switch to LPG or CNG.
Second in my list, after the above, is adjusting the pump system pressure.
Some people prefer to switch the fuelpump with rheostat or else, but in my experience this leads to siphoning fuel thru the still working injectors, be it sometimes desirable …

2 Likes

My 95 F250 with the 460 has used a rheostat and off switch with trouble free results for 4 years and 12000 miles.

You need to be able to easily be able to add a little gasoline when climbing a long or steep hill.

3 Likes

And they can be switched off and on without damaging them? Or I should say that can this be done on my year make and model?

1 Like

I see no reason why disconnecting them wuld hurt them in any way. However, the computer may not like it. Some report swiching them off is as easy as mounting a swich on the injector fuse, but for my car (2006 lacetti) that was to much for the computer and it went in to limp mode. Try it your self may work or it may not.

2 Likes

What Michael said .

My 95 ram has 50,000 miles trouble free on the switch and my 95 dakota has 20,000 miles

2 Likes

Not sure on the fords of that year but the dodges of that year do good with a gasoline mix. If you try to run too rich the truck computer will lean the gasoline out .

2 Likes

Thanks for the information… I will try to add a switch for turning off the fuel pumps

1 Like

Do you mean that you do not need a rheostat to the pump, the computer in the car is mixing the mixture itself?

1 Like

Your F-250 uses a Rheostat and off switch? Recommended any piticular Rheostat and how to install it? This sounds like exactly what I need

1 Like

Hello Jan .

You do need a rheostat and or switch.

However under some condition like cursing where you are not doing any accelerating or decelerating, or very slowly accelerating and decelerating the computer may since a rich mixture via the oxygen sensor and lean the gasoline . The computer will not shut all the gasoline out of the mixture but I think as much as 90%

1 Like

Thanks Wayne.
Then I think I understand why I need both a contact and rheostat.

1 Like

Why isn’t anyone mentioning PWM instead of reostats. I thought the reostats got to hot. My PWM takes the fuel pump from zero flow to wide open flow. TomC

1 Like

Please explain more about the PWM… I am currently building my first Gasifier and not ready to install… I am open to all suggestions as to how to harmonize it with a 1995 Ford EFI gas system

1 Like

I have allways used a small rheostat but if anyone needs info on them there is plenty on the site . I just searched ( search icon top right of the page ) and there are about 50 threads that mention the pwm.

1 Like

This is what I am using

2 Likes

So Michael Gibb would you put both the injectors and the fuel pump on the rheostat or just the fuel pumps?

1 Like

Just the fuel pump.

When the fuel pump is turned off the engine dies in 1 second so there must not be much fuel getting sucked past the injectors.

2 Likes

So if I mount the rheostat right next to the switch that controls the front/rear tank switch and wire it into that switch… Then I’m in business and all I need is to build the Gasifier and hook it up? Thank you for the information very helpful

1 Like