Simple-Fire

Way to go, Allan! The fun has just begun.

4 Likes

Your looking good Allan :grinning:

3 Likes

Great build Allan, a simple filter and you are set to go.
Bob

3 Likes

Thanks guys.
I’d planned on working on it more today to figure out more about it and get a filter in place, but got sidetracked and helped butcher a cow to fill our freezers.

2 Likes

Time to get the lemons out… :grin:

3 Likes

Hi! Im pretty new to this charcoal gasifiers. Im running a small business producing charcoal and have looked for ways to use the small pieces of charcoal that we screen out. The finer dust we sell as bio-char but the pieces that are 8-12 mm we just didnt know what do do with.
Until i saw a video where Gary Gilmore showed the simple fire!
Ive put one together and have it connected to a 13hp engine. I had some problems with airleaks at first but now it runs fine. The reactor is a 5 gallon bucket and the motor runs 30-40 minutes on each load.
Im planning on using the motor to run our old potatoe/charcoal-sorting machine.
Ive got lots of good tips of charcoal gasification here at DOW, its a fantastic place for lots of knowledge.
Best regards!
Jörgen, Sweden

11 Likes

Hi Jorgen , Welcome aboard and congratulations on finding a use for all of your waste charcoal , when motor fuel can be saved as a by product then it means more savings for everyone .
You say you run a small business producing charcoal , is this for cooking ? normally lump charcoal has a lot more volatiles left in it as its sold by the weight , so keep an eye on your intake make sure you don’t gum up your valves .
All the best and wishing you many hours of run time fun
Dave

4 Likes

Welcome Jorgen, Yes to what you said. The information that can now be viewed and studied on this DOW site is enormous, thousands of thousands of hours to go through it all. It is now the most complete site on Wood / charcoal gasification, and a whole lot more, and still growing.
We are all here to help you.
Bob

4 Likes

Thanks Brian!
We produce our charcoal from Birch in a retort.
Its perfect to use the waste for fuel.

1 Like

You are only human , trees can live a lot longer .

1 Like

Thanks Robert!
Ive allready spent ours reading the posts.
Im planning on another build as soon i got my MIG-welder!

1 Like

Jörgen, where are you at? I’m 18km NW of Borlänge.

1 Like

I forgot to mention our charcoal is for cooking, and we are not interested in how much it weighs just how clean and pure it is. Our coal is smokeless so im pretty sure it will make good fuel!

2 Likes

Hej JO!
Im a bit northwest of you. Im from the norther part of Dalecarlia.

2 Likes

Jörgen, I posted a Youtube on charcoal-making from Siljansfors a couple years ago. That’s not you, is it?

1 Like

Nope JO that wasnt me.
I started producing charcoal about three years ago.
Im about 100km nw from you.

2 Likes

Its encouraging to know we don’t have to worry about tree consumption.

I am a good tree hugger. Plant them, let them grow. Cut them down use the wood for your needs. And always plant more than you cut down to replace the trees used. More trees the cleaner the air. Don’t let a forest get to old or infested with pine Beatles by not doing proper management of the forest.
Bob

1 Like

Up to your same old trick again I see Henry.
Targeting new members with your crap’ola.
Just trying to starve out the DOW for new members input aren’t you?

Sheez man but are you weird. Come to a Use-Wood site and cry Green 1st; Green-Now; and Green last. And it is red blooded Humans who suck. Are the parasite to be eliminated.
After you, man. You first.
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

Okay, I would to get this thread back on the topic, the “Simple-Fire”. To start with what are the advantages of building one and it limits?
To me this is a simple way to introduce people the the world of gasification. By using charcoal to make gas to run a engine that will power something. We have had many do this all ready. This is a easy way to get a 101 introduction to gasification. Starting with @glgilmore Gary who came up with the Simple Fire name and has demonstrated it at Argos many times and on this thread.
To all the newcomers this is the best way to start. You can make a gasifer with out any welding. The cost of the gasifer free if you can find unwanted parts. It is so simple being a up draft gasifer and light weight.
What I like is it will fit on small vehicles, like lawn mower tractors, walk behind tractors, even motorcycles, run Gensets, even Go carts.
Hey members of the Dark Side Charcoal Gasification group, how about posting one picture of your Simple Fire build, to show the new members that have just joined DOW in the passed few weeks.
Bob

2 Likes