Škoda pickup on wood

Yes. Put in one of those rotary knob battery disconnect cable terminals.
At parking or just before next starting up; disconnect the battery to reset the engine control computer to base settings.
Regards
Steve Unruh

10 Likes

This morning the engine did not start at all on petrol. Not one hit. After a hour and a half of cranking, squirting in petrol and propane, warming the O2 sensor etc l found the fault. We had snow forecasted for the night so l parked it in a way l can drive off our steep driveway in the morning. Severely tilted on one side. When l finaly tested if the fuel pump pumps gas to the engine l discovered whats wrong. All the petrol has flown to one side of the fuel tank and pump ran dry :joy: l refueled 2 days back so l eliminated that fault when making a diagnose. Threw in a gallin of petrol, cranked on the first turn. For the next time, l know better.

As for the woodgas part, its my fourth drive to work on woodgas tonight, it keeps runing better and better! Still no speed records but takeoffs are smooth and cruiseing at the top speed of 45mph is what l wuld do on petrol also.
Fuel consumption figures are slowly starting to show. Im not gonna post any numbers just yet but for what l see l am werry pleased!

This evening, l chrushed some dry charcoal for the way to work, wife happened to be near by superviseing our kids playing in the first snow. Instead of water, l threw a few snowballs in the hopper of dry charcoal. I could tell by the look of her eyes she thod l lost it completely :joy:

18 Likes

Sometimes the simple things gets the best of us! Glad to hear it keeps getting better and it’s not just me that makes mistakes :grin:

7 Likes

https://youtu.be/K5ety83ODgY

A little teaser before the official walkaround

15 Likes

I agree. Even “dry” wood has a lot of water in it. It might help to mix wood with your char like Marcus was saying.

6 Likes

Looks like it’s running pretty sweet, got studded tires for the cold weather over there? Just wondering if that’s an American gimmick consumer thing

4 Likes

We got mandatory winter tires but studded ones are actualy ilegal. Too much damage on the roads.

6 Likes

I think in Finland they allow studded tires. There’s a special Finnish brand of nail studded tires you can technically only order in Alaska if you’re in the USA, but they are unscrupulous and will ship to your house. I prefer snow chains, but the road is more covered in ice than in snow around here. The snow melts partially and it all gets a glaze of ice over the snow.

5 Likes

Thank you for the ride Kristijan, you have a nice landscape where you live.
We have studded tires here, and I think these are much better than friction tires on icy roads.

7 Likes

I could imagine your SWEM-face behind the camera, Kristijan :grinning:

6 Likes

Jo, Kristjan is serious and focused on the project, there are no jokes or concessions, they are probably similar to you in many ways. :grin:

5 Likes

I think it’s been about 50 years since we could use studded tires. They were great. I enjoyed the ride K. Always surprises me how much so many other places on the planet look just like where I live.

6 Likes

Here Oregon and Washington states studded tires have still been legal November 1 thru March 30th.
Because of our Cascade mountains East <-> West passes. Because of the many high mountain ski resorts day-trip drivable from the Urban areas.

YES, roads driving from swishy wet and then into pockets of snotty just-barely ice ONLY studded tires will see you safe.
You will not be chained up.
The best modern stud-less tires as in Michelin Ice-x, Blizzack’s, and Nokien do work. Tried the Nokien’s myself on the Honda CRV. Still not as effective as the studded.

And here aways the crying that “those studded folks are destroying our roads”.
It gets louder every year. Studded tire users are only at most 5%. The majority of the no-stud tire screamers will not invest in a separate set of winter tires. Too cheap. Too social/culture distracted. Convinced the All Season tires will do-all. (For half of the year here, yeah.)
Yet it is these same folk who after the most recent rash of icy morning spin-out chain-reaction wrecks with deaths that say our Road Service’s must salt the roads “like everyone else”. We never did this before the creeping expanded “trial” programs started ~2018.
Now state highways and some cities do this. Now I have to slam break off my corroded on, wheels from the hubs!
So it is the stud-less, cheap-skates; the ones responsible for salt rust early aging out our public bridges, highway equipment’s and all of our own personal vehicles.

Grump. Grump. Grump. From the guy having to keep his Home-Visting nurse Wife, out Nursing.
Anyhow, studded tires here can still be had from Korean Kuhomo; USofA Cooper; Finland Nokian. I’ve used them all.
S.U.

5 Likes

The blizzacks are decent, had then on a Honda crx and did very good and have a set for the wife’s car. Don’t know what, she refuses to drive in snow. I’m usually in some lifted wheeler running around on snow days yank strapping people out of ditches at 20$. Can make a full day of it easily with the terrible drivers around here. Got tipped 100$ from a guy in a van with a loaded boat trailer once that was cool. Another guy in a semi jack knifed blocking a road followed me to the gas station and filled my tank for getting him out. Makes for a fun day out doing recovery’s like that. Maybe next year I’ll get to do it in the V10 on wood power :grin:
Hey kristijan, the Skoda is a 2 wheel peel right? Have you ever wood/char gassed a 4wd in all your time?

6 Likes

Hmmm. Thinking about it this whole driving-on-ice/compacted snow is well corresponding to woodgas using.
Number 1 is the operator/driver.
The equipment: the system; helps.
Super-duper one-push-button-gasification just like an all-wheel drive, all-wheels studded can over-help! Nothing as stuck as one of those driven off and buried, belly dragging.

And only a very few will commit to becoming that better bad-roads driver.
A process’s understanding: can-run-any; wood gasifier operator.
And it is now my great pleasure to know a few of both of these.
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

The gas out of a fully warmed up gasifier. Good, but not ideal! Needs some fine tuneing.

https://youtu.be/tpjL6ofcFJE

13 Likes

What would we see that would make that ideal?

3 Likes

The looks like a much cleaner overall flare then mine, a lot more blue color. Now I know the topic of flare color has been beat like a dead horse but I’m just guessing the char gas is overall cleaner since it has been cooked by an expert :grin:

3 Likes

Kristijan,
What is the diameter of your gas pipe?

2 Likes

Steve, the diameter of the pipe is 42mm l think and with this diameter and fan power the flame shuld have no problem staying lit on it.
Marcus, the colour of the flame, slight hint of steam, the fact that it doesent stay lit and the fact that it roars well when lit all point in the direction something is not ideal in the gasifier. I know my charcoal moisture content is not too high and a good balanced sistem shuld crack it, the fact that it doesent suggests some minor adjustment has to be made.
Blue colour usualy indicates either pure charcoal gas, no water or egr added, or too much water in the finished gas. The later is the case here.

This is an example of what l call perfect gas

https://youtu.be/EJeAWbFE63g

At 2min you can see it being lit out of a similar diameter pipe as on my Škoda. The gasifier fuel is also moist charcoal.

8 Likes