Škoda pickup on wood

I could say both would be correct, but since eggnog is my favorite seasonal drink and Jager is my alcohol of choice the few times I have a drink, I might just give that one a go :thinking:

4 Likes

Good to see you’re back Bob. We almost started to worry.
The darkest day of the year past. It won’t be long now before you will have woodgas traction in that driveway of yours :smile:

7 Likes

Thank you for the concerns. The roads are wet and sanded, they also use a de-icer here no salt. But the climb out of my place a chain up for the Dakota with no limited slip. Even with my new limited slip and with both wheels tracking is tough go my 2003 Dodge Ram going up the hill out of my place, no problems in 4×4 drive. If I had studded tires and limited slip on the 92 Dakota I could drive up that hill. I already have about 400 lbs. In the bed of the truck for traction.
Bob

7 Likes

Be glad you dont live more north. JO is having almost no daylight now. I think you do ok? 18.00- 19.00 sun under?

3 Likes

Here at 45-47 degrees latitude, we now still have ~8 hours of “cloud-light”.
Depending on the cloud’s density and morning fogs though it can seem to only be 4 hours of not-dark.
S.U.

5 Likes

Steve, we too are exactly where you are, at 46.

Joep, l sayd it before, if l lived in Jos place l wuld work to death in the summer or sleep to deth in winter. Not a good place for me to live :grin:

At 5 pm its pitch black here… On a clear sky day.

7 Likes

Mmm, wanted to post this in Life goes on, sorry.

We are at 51 degrees and it is dark around the same time. In the summer it is around 21.00 in your place, 22.30 in ours and JO can go sit on the terras from 23.00 until???

No way for me too, the dark winters. Very happy with our climate, I only miss the snow. In the past that used to happen from time to time. Last year did, but it was 10 years of no snow.

4 Likes

Well couple of reasons. You live on wery flat land. Here the sun hides under the hills fast. Second, you live way wester thain we yet we all have the same European time…

Ha, l wuld gladly send you all our snow. It stops being so fun when you need a couple of hours to drive a half mile hill after a hard nightshift…

7 Likes

:sunny: 09:07 :first_quarter_moon:14:48 in theory. Minus mountains. Sun angle at noon is 8°. Latitude 60.5°

I can sit as long as I like :grinning: But in Midsummer the sun sets at 22:35 actually. Up again 03:29.

5 Likes

Yes, that is the other option. You have to get up earlier then we do. JO wins in the summertime

4 Likes

We are at 45 as well. There’s a sign down the road that says as much. Exactly half way between the equator and the North pole, or at least where the north pole used to be. Santa will be living in Siberia soon.

5 Likes

Ha! Ha! Well since this is your topic Kristijan . . . and you want to know. . .
I use old physical globes to see where all of you live.
I had three different well used ~$15.00 USD globe. The girls played one to death. Sigh. And it had the main ocean currents rivers on it. I am still looking for a replacement.
These heat pumping oceans currents rivers can make true latitudes conditions much modified.
North-south mountains chains modify much too. East to west mountain chains channel air-rivers modifying regional conditions as much as true latitude.
True scale seeing oceans and air mass flows across the 3D globe helps much in understandings.
And the globes do not so much distort lands mass scales.
Greenland is NOT huge.
Texas is not huge.
Not in comparison to many of the nations in Africa.
Alaska and Canada are huge.

And with a globe and a narrow bean focused flashlight you set up seasonal sun angles. And see them. Very handy for setting PV, roofs overhangs, shade trees plantings and such.
Greatly helped me understand the US upper mid-west and far NE lake effects conditions.
Regards
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Yup, we are getting your extra clouds that are coming over the mountains from your area from the south west. We did see the last full moon of this calendar year, it was spectacular through the scattered cloud covering. It is going to get cold this coming week. Burrr.
Keeping warm Bob

5 Likes

Yesterday was the first day of winter. Now the days are starting to get longer and that means spring and summer are just around the corner. I Love the four equal seasons we have here where I live. Kristijan is it like that in your area where you live?
Back to your Skoda are you planning on placing cooling tubes on the top of the canopy of the truck or are you satisfied with the gas temp going into your engine?
Bob

6 Likes

Bob, l appologise por a late responce. Yes, we do too. In theory. In reality, last few years we preety much transition towards haveing just summer and winter.

Gas temps are suitible as long as there is air flow in the bed cover. Keep in mind both the gasifier and the filter have large surface area and its only a tiny 1.3 motor. I do plan to install a air scoop on the bed cover thugh to force air on the sistem. Got time till May.

Food for thod. The proof that stainless isnt best gasifier material and why l only use it in my builds as sacrifficial plates.

7 Likes

Interesting, but yes, stainless has a slightly lower melting temp than mild steel. The only advantages are it doesn’t flake, it doesn’t rust and it’s somewhat insulative.
I’ve used 1.5-2 mm ss “sacrificial” plates in all my builds and I’ve never seen any wear on them.
Yours being a charcoal machine may run hotter. Also, I use protruding “nut” nozzles. Even if only protruding 1/4" they may spare the walls some heat.
But hey - they are called sacrificial plates for a reason :grinning:

11 Likes

Yes on my new build, I am building I will be putting the protruding nuts on the nozzles holes with the plates also around them. Mike Gibb, you, and others have all had good results with this in the wood gasifier fire tube. Right, a .25 " is all that is needed to push the heat out away.
Good point to bring out for everyone that is build fire tubes.
Bob

7 Likes