Škoda pickup on wood

@KristijanL, I just realized I have this charcoal flute gasifer on the wrong thread. Sorry for hijacking your thread on the Skoda pickup on wood.
I have moved my design drawing to the new topic "Double Flute Charcoal Gasifer.
Bob

1 Like

Tom,
If you are still interested, there are now details and dimensions in the new topic: The double flute charcoal gasifer - #41 by TomC

2 Likes

Always interested Bruce. Haven’t quite grasped what everyone is talking about but I am very interested in the idea of a downdraft charcoal unit. Kristijan seems a lot like me. I can’t really believe he would want someone else building his design but he says it’s a simple build. I’m a simple man. Seems like a good fit. I’ll take a crack at it when the plan gets a little more firmed up.

5 Likes

Ok guys here is whats happened the other day. My trusty Škoda, who served me dayly for the last year, was wrecked by falling out of gear and handbrake while standing parked on a slope with a 800 pound bale on the bed. Later l investigated and found the cause for both failiures was most likely a small 2" stump l run over and must of torn or pinched the cable. The handbrake did seem stiff when l parked…
Anyway, hit a tree at around 20mph and it wrecked it. I was miserable. Looked for a suitible priced pickup for 3 years and l wrecked it in an instant.

Anyway, by a miracle, wife found a same Škoda the other day :smile: its actualy younger (1995) and in a better shape. The wrecked Škoda luckly only has its distributer crushed, everything else is great for spare parts!

Same 1.3l motor. But! Its not carbourated but mono injected above the TB. This is the reason l got super excited woodgasing it.

Reason being, l think this way wuld fit woodgas real good. Apart from hybriding being possible, probably, l like the fact the jet is over the tb. No high manifold vacuum sucking on the jet, and runing the engine on dino shuld flush any tar if it ever gets made off the tb. Problem is just l belive it has a separate idle jet that has to somehow be cut off.

https://youtu.be/MIWAtYzwdPg

If possible, l wuld ask someone German speaking like @Til to take a look at this. Hint a bit how this could be make usefull for woodgas…

If l get this right the whole thing has a controle module. It might be possible to just cut the power to it? The rest of the car is so primitive it probably wuldnt notice :smile: thods?

5 Likes

Hello Kristijan,
I am watching this in CC, auto translate English. Slovenian is just farther down in the selection listings.
Very clear translation into English.
At 3-4 minutes describes that the idle is determined by an electrical pusher holding open the throttle plate for idle air.
The idle gasoline fuel introduced above the throttle plate by the central injector.

Fellows woodgasing throttle body systems COULD dual fuel with gasoline but found they had to positively fuel shut off gasoline external to the injector feed.
Low pressure from the then sucking wood-gas/air would suck gasoline out of the injector even de-energized
S.U.

7 Likes

Interesting, wondering if there is no similar system on my Suzuki, does Don not have such a system as well?
By the way, how far have you come on your carburetor Steve, a little curious.
Jan
edit. simular?

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
hope that I can find some time this evening or tomorrow to help you with this video.
Til

2 Likes

My 1995 Geo Tracker has multiport injectors instead of single throttle body.

2 Likes

Bom napisal v slovenščini:
-motorna elektronika nadzira delovanje črpalke, ko daš kontakt se črpalka vklopi in če ne vžgeš motorja se za par sekund ugasne, prav tako se ugasne če motor crkne med vožnjo. Najdeš kabel , ki jo napaja , ga prerežeš (obvezno samo + žico) in to vežeš preko sikala, če montiraš plin, ta signal preusmeriš na magnetni ventil.
-šoba za gorivo je prav tako krmiljena iz motorne elektronike, dejansko je to magnetni ventil, tudi tu prekineš samo eno žico , kar prav tako vežeš preko stikala. Pri tem postopku je šoba pred dušilno loputo , to pomeni , da ob majhni obremenitvi ni posebnega podtlaka na šobi , tako tudi ob odprti šobi , ni izhajanja goriva , če pa motor deluje z večjimi obremenitvami , se podtlak na šobi poveča kar rezultira doziranje goriva,… dobro za neke primere

1 Like

Tone per: Google Translate:
I will write in Slovene:
-motor electronics monitor the operation of the pump, when you make contact the pump is switched on and if you do not start the engine it shuts off for a few seconds, it also shuts off if the engine dies while driving. You find the cable that powers it, you cut it (obligatory only + wire) and you connect it via a switch, if you install gas, you redirect this signal to the solenoid valve.
-the fuel nozzle is also controlled from the motor electronics, in fact it is a solenoid valve, here too you break only one wire, which you also connect via a switch. In this procedure, the nozzle is in front of the throttle, which means that at low load there is no special vacuum on the nozzle, so even when the nozzle is open, there is no fuel leakage, but if the engine runs at higher loads, the nozzle pressure increases resulting in fuel dosing. … Good for some examples

5 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
I watched the video. In short, I think Tone described what to do.
Now what I picked up from the video, but I’m no expert in fuel injection systems. So take this with caution.
This system records some engine parameters with sensors:

1. Position of the throttle with a potentiometer
  2. Revolutions of the engine
    With this two values the control unit calculates the duration of the injection for a basic air-fuel/mixture with a characteristic diagram.
  3. Coolant temperature
  4. Intake air temperature
    This two parameters are used to correct the mixture (cold vs hot engine)
  5. Lambda-sond as a last check if the exhaust values are ok.
    This is also used to correct the mixture.

With this values the control unit regulates the pulses of the injector. As I understand, the injector only has the states open or closed, so the amount of fuel is controlled by pulses.

The control unit also keeps the idle on a constant level by closing or opening the throttle a bit.

At last, the control unit regulates the fuel pump.

So as Tone wrote, the best ways are to go in between control unit and injector and/or fuel pump.

4 Likes

Tone and Til,
Correct, correct, correct, correct.

Let me add from the video and real working experiences:
Other calulating imputs needed are the manifold pressure and the outside air pressure.
MAP and Baro. (manifold absolute pressure and barometric pressure)
The video shows these as outside measured at a remote mounted sensor.
SOME systems mount these in above the throttle plate air horn.
If so on your these would be terribly skewed by woodgas sucking.

The injector on-off time will be varied on all systems. Called the pulse width. But on some system the frequency of the on-off cycles will be varied too. Listen for this.

Fuel pressure is varied by the in-upper assembly mounted pressure regulator. Allows for greater pressure cranking no-manifold vacuum for cold starting enrichment. Allows for reduced pressure at high speed little throttle high manifold vacuum fuel leaning out.
This will be affected by woodgas sucking.

And the allowed injector pulse width and maybe frequency is determined by prerecorded look-up values. The represented three dimensional map the videos show.
Two reasons to understand this.
Only pre-recorded values will be allowed. System cannot allow outside these ranges. Even will trip codes and trouble light if outside these ranges requested.
Second reason:
some ignition timing delivered spark will be computor controlled too off of sensors inputs and controller maps look-ups too.

Is yours?
No mechanical weights or vacuum advance pot on your ignition distributor then it IS computer timing controlled.

Steve Unruh

3 Likes

Ok. So the way l look at this is this has a lot of potential to work great for woodgas, but also to then run not so great on petrol…

Thank you guys for now!

5 Likes

Kristijan you will have much less problems going back to gasoline on this TB system than any carburetor system.
Yet still get the benefits of gasoline intake washing down.

Just find the air side source for the fuel pressure regulator and re-route that to outside if the throttle body assembly.
Put in your own string/beaded chain-wire throttle pull for a woodgas idle. That will open up past the range of the computer controlled one. Let it hunt as it will.

If the electronically controlled spark distributor gives a problem. Switch it out for the earlier one.

I have so little experiences working on TB injections because they never needed it. One injector feeding all four cylinders and they almost never clog. Simple filter then too. With wide range of gasoline quality using then possible.
Great systems.
Only dog-chase-it’s-tail into tighter circles with more and more restrictive emissions requirements force changing to individual cylinder injector systems.
S.U.

7 Likes

Likewise Steve, only issue I have ever scene with over the top tbi injectors is the occasional burn injector harness from a back fire since the wires are exsposed in the throttle body. Usually on the early tbi Chevys. No trouble at all, as long as they had a consistent 45psi feeding them they were dead reliable

4 Likes

Look what jumped in the truck yesterday! Now, since its alredy home… I guess its time to make something out of it?

11 Likes

Ah it makes me happy to see a truck bed WELL used! So many soccer mom mobiles with clean shiny paint around here…I have replaced beds on a lot of trucks in our family from being flat out worn out caved in beat up. Are you going to keep the bed cover on for concealment?

3 Likes

Ha, l own this one for a month. The wear is from a previous owner. But l get you totaly. Pickups are extremely rare in Europe. The ones that do have them have them just for show. I use myne dayly. Before l had a tractor, this was my tractor. Strong enaugh to haul a big log yet light enaugh you can literaly (and l done this a couple of times) grab the back side of the bed, lift it and carry it around to turn it in a super tight spot. The whole truck with the driver weights around 1700 pounds!

The cover. Before l had my tractor l neaded a open bed. At the moment the bed cover doesent bother me and even proves useful. I will make the gasifier fit in the covered bed and decide from there later.

8 Likes

Oh, l just noticed. In the 3 sacks there is enaugh charcoal for about 300miles of DOW. Its gonna all be burnt up on someones BBQ but l can hardly wait to dump one of them in the hopper…

8 Likes

Here in the states I catch a lot of crap for my use of vehicles, everything is a truck! My Honda crx hatchback mini car I used it as a mobile mechanic station, wish I still had the pictures! I had a cherry picker, small block Chevy V8 and nv4500 five speed transmission in it all at one time to go install in a customer car :rofl: my Honda Accord I would frequently strap my 14’ aluminum boat on top and go fishing, my motorcycle has been hauling gassifier parts from home to work almost daily haha now I’m really interested with the topper on, another under the radar build :+1: she will be cruising on coal in no time

6 Likes