Small or home made sawmills

Thanks for the info Sean.

Most of the wood was pine , I save the hardwoods and run in my vehicles .

2 Likes

I edited the my response (in case you didn’t see it) Pine will work for gardening char and hugelkultur. While I am thinking about it, the ‘new’ way (current trend) to do weedless gardening is to use woodchips as the mulch. But you probably don’t have a shredder to make it. The carbon in your garden will help a -lot-. It applies to fields as well, but you don’t have that much wood. :slight_smile:

OH and the last thing is if you make it into char, it would be good fuel for the First annual Argos Ox Roast. :rofl:

2 Likes

If it was economical I’d say send it all here! But I don’t think anybody would wanna to pay a logger to send a truckload of slabs to Bufu Egypt, NC :joy:.

Best to put it back in the soil anyways. Give the cows some greener grass to munch on.

5 Likes

Mechanism for easier starting, because it often blew my fuses when starting 16A, the wheels are iron and heavy

13 Likes

Here I am trying to show some details on the saw, the wooden oak guides for the saw blade, cleaning and oiling the surface of the wheels with oil, here is a container shaped around the wheel, with some oil in it, a cotton strip is soaked in it, which slowly raises the liquid and emits it outside under the felt, … but there is also a starting mechanism and a three-phase capacitor for reactive energy compensation, so the conductors are less current loaded and the consumption is probably 10-20% lower

14 Likes

Thought this pretty genius

3 Likes

Trying to catch up on a little sawing .

Wife not hardly fat enough to turn this log ( sorry log with knots as big as hog heads ).

Sawing this one log put a little money in my pocket and enough motor fuel from the scrap to drive a few weeks :grinning:

15 Likes

Sawing big timber . Bigger than I like ! :grinning:

13 Likes

Got to eat a big breakfast to help keep the back tires on the ground. :grinning:

11 Likes

thats a good lookin cant, should make some beauty boards

6 Likes

Hey Marcus .

I wish it were a cant so I could work it down and handle easier.

It is a beam and I am trying to get it on my tractor forks .

8 Likes

oof! ya then thats a mighty heavy things to be maneuvering around!

5 Likes

You could also use reduced voltage for starting. The 75kw induction furnace I had required a low voltage starter due to the mass of the generator. Mine was mechanical with a transformer but I have one from an old grain elevator I tore down decades ago, The elevator was set up to operate on single phase with line shafts. The low voltage starter was one that used rods in metal cups filled with salt water to have variable voltage to the motor as it started up.’

6 Likes

I only have 3kw 1450rpm on my band saw, it’s a bit too small.
I have a new 7.5kw 1450rpm motor, but only have 16amp fuses, any idea if I can use this motor?

3 Likes

Your total consumption on 16A is good for 11kW Jan, so that should be ok as long as you don’t run a lot of other things at the same time

3 Likes

Thank you Johan.
Do you think I need a y d start before I try?

3 Likes

I have the same sawmill that you have, the electric version, but I’m still running the bar and chain. Are you happy with your conversion to the bandsaw?
I am considering to make that conversion too but there is too many things to do before that so I don’t think that it will happen anytime soon.

1 Like

I would try it first, fuses are cheap.
But there isn’t that much mass that needs to start spinning so I don’t think it needs it.
I could be wrong but like I said, fuses are cheap :smile:

2 Likes

Ok, then I’ll buy an electric cord and test if it works first.
Yes, I’m quite satisfied with the band saw, it’s very easy to push against the chain saw, there aren’t half as many chips, but I haven’t got the surface of the wood as nicely as with the chain saw, but I think it’s due to a slight imbalance in one of the wheels.

3 Likes

Ok, I thought it would be much nicer surfaces but lime you said, it could be a wheel or perhaps one or more teeth in the bandsaw blade that got kinked or bent / damaged.

1 Like