Small or home made sawmills

That was interesting Marcus. I have watch the sawyers at the old engine show with a similar looking mill. It take at least four guys to run it. Who knew all that stuff about the blade tension and speed. Another thing along with modern cars that’s way over my head. I thought about trying to make a autofeed and reverse for my little mill but probably from being underpowered I have to feed it much slower through sections with knots. If It were powered it would surely break blades.

5 Likes

I love seeing old mills like this from the early years they are fascination to me what this men were able to build from scrap steel and a stick welder and get full production out of them. I got to tour a couple long dead cedar shake mills the year I spent in Aberdeen working and it was some of the coolest albeit most dangerous equipment I have ever seen. Got to know many people who grew up working those mills, the sawyers, the splitters the packers. I have one piece of that history sitting outside my shop right now a antique cedar shake packer. Ill go take some pictures of it in a second here

1 Like

Buckley old engine show. About 35 miles from where I live. One of the few things that will get me to travel beyond a 17 mile radius. [ that’s how far it is to Menard’s or the Stihl dealer ] It was closed down for Covid in 2020 and I didn’t go last year but I try to most years. Really interesting stuff with a lot of old men walking around looking like they are pregnant in cover-alls.

https://www.buckleyoldengineshow.org/

3 Likes

Very cool stuff Tom! ill have to video our log show this year, we usually have some cool old equipment I think you guys would enjoy. Here is a short video on that machine

6 Likes

If you use Diesel lubricant on a band mill, make sure your belts (including the one around the bandwheels, if they have one) can handle it, as it will eat through most belts over time. The standard for sub-freezing weather is windshield washer antifreeze, though that gets expensive. I mix a quarter cup of PineSol per gallon of water.

5 Likes

I have always called this my One Man Saw Mill.

Looks like I will be forced to change the name :thinking:

10 Likes

Well, when your cutting production numbers :grin: good looking boards Wayne!

8 Likes

Life is good when your working in a field of buttercups

5 Likes

Good morning Marcus and Mike .

The saw mill is just complicated enough that wife had rather be the off bearer than the sawyer .

That is the reason I can’t call it a one MAN mill any more :blush:

Hard to believe this mill is still going after 23 years .

Some of the bigger logs pay over a hundred dollars for sawing and the slabs supply a lot of motor fuel :blush:

14 Likes

My wife is just complicated enough that I still rather put my father to work as the bearer :innocent:
I built this mill 15 years ago. The wodden frame is still a temporary solution.
Milled 1,800 board feet the last two days.

13 Likes

Thanks for the video JO . Looks like you have it going your way !!

6 Likes

Yes, I got some slabs this year too, thought about making some gengaswood from this, but got a little unsure when you say spruce is so bad.

10 Likes

Haha, you remember my spruce allergy.
Spruce works, but I avoid it only because can. Less maintence on the system.

6 Likes

Windshield washer fluid is just 50/50 methanol and water with blue die added.
Rindert

4 Likes

Could always make charcoal from it. It isn’t an ideal charcoal but at least then it wouldn’t have the tar.

2 Likes

JO did you ever calculate how many miles you had to push pull to cut 1800 board ft? 2 trips per board.

7 Likes

I don’t know what the metric measurements are JO but those looked to be around 2x6 by our dimensions. Looked to be 16 footers and mostly clear so here is what they are going for around here now, spruce,pine,fir. SPF. If yours are hardwood that’s a whole different world.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/lumber-boards/dimensional-lumber/2-x-6-construction-framing-lumber/1021774/p-1444422354800.htm

5 Likes

Thanks J.O.
I love the singing sound of your swing-blade mill.
I can smell the sawn-dust from here!
S.U.

7 Likes

Mike, feet to miles × 2 + slabs and edging. It gets complicated for a metric guy :smile: Counting all the miles and handling from stump to finished product even worse.
@tcholton717 Pretty much the same price here right now. $6 for every meter of 2×6. Dimentional lumber is up about 3 times since prior to covid.
If straight enough, I cut the logs 14 ft because that’s what the mill easily allows. I can add another foot, but the log has to be positioned just right.
These logs were all pine, some 120+ yo. I actually cut them 1"1/4×6. I will plane them one side, down to store bought dimention 28mm and replace some porch flooring.
Did the same on daughter’s balcony last week.

@Steve, you still keep your swingblade mill?

11 Likes

Hello Jo, you are not only an artist in the conversion of vehicles to wood gas, but also an artist in woodworking. :+1:

7 Likes