Straight Jacket Engineering here

Absolutely so it would be more of a mechanical art form or Gimmick some people might say. Essentially you would preload the coal tray with some accelerant(ie kero soaked chips or something like that) through a hatch and on the outside of the hatch would be the rear half of a antique revolver and simply be using the hammer of the revolver to strike a 209 primer to ignite the accelerant.

2 Likes

Thank for that information!
Ideal I’d like to use wood chunks near to the same as Wayne’s but alternatives are on the table. This is still in the concept phases but we did bring the truck home this evening

4 Likes

HP electric drives that can produce unlimited toque and RPM is hardly a gassifer rat rod. That’s the whole thing. It will not lack power because all the gassifer is doing is charging the batteries. I totally appreciate what they did, it’s awesome but this and that are so different. A computer controlled electric drive system has unlimited capabilities. I’d really appreciate not have holes shot through an idea that is misunderstood. I came here for the amazing knowledge that I see here and not judgement or to be corrected. This is mechanical art, the slamming together of all generations of technologies as a tribute to all of it. As a 6th generation farmer I learned a long time ago that the closer one feels they are to mastery the further they actually are from it.

3 Likes

Now that is really thinking/tinkering out of the box…

Welcome in my world …

I did read the basics of your questions, setup looks great, lot of opportunity’s to get creative…

The only difficult part i see so far is the meat smoking if it is situated in the gas stream / filter system / or inside
If the smoking is outside the raw gas stream, not so much of a problem…

The idea of charging battery and using electric motor as drive power is perfect, done that on a little smaller scale ofcourse …

You can run a genhead on a higher RPM and rectify the AC to direct charge your battery packs, fit a good cooling system to the genhead, a correct voltage AVR to the set and of you go

using battery packs and inverter to provide home electricity…

WK gasifier is the better choice for your idea yes, and with some smart mixture you can light the gasifier with a blank cartridge if you would like…

Ouch, forgot… welcome to DOW, plenty of great folks around here

6 Likes

I do like the generator charged electric drivetrain idea. That itself could easily and elegantly be done. You’d have the battery as a middleman for the demand of power, so even if you lose some Kilowatts in the generator it’s not as big of a deal.

I have a personal preference to having the least amount of welded things in the body of my gasifier. Welds mean eventual leaks. A special slide out tray just screams “Air leaks!”. Bad news bears especially if it’s fresh air leaking into the newly produced gengas, it will create a nasty hot spot or even burn a hole.

If you were to try this idea, maybe use a 2" pipe welded into the side, with a threaded end, something you can seal up with graphite or copper grease. Lead the pipe to the grate so it would be near the charcoal. A lot of older gasifiers were lit at the grate as often as they were lit right at the nozzles. Vintage gasifier matches actually had thermite in them for intense heat and was somewhat slow burning.

I think a Magnesium ribbon or thermite match would be pretty cool. Open the pipe, turn on the blower, drop that bad boy in there and let it go. Actually with something like that you could still light it as Wayne does by simply wallowing out a hole in the wood with your poker until you can see the char, and drop the lit match on the charcoal.

3 Likes

Which issue are you referring to exactly? I’m curious because I think if you tee off the mainline into the smoker section then use that air to mix with the input airstream the gasifier you dodge one bullet, but It might not be the issue you are referring to. :stuck_out_tongue:

The ideal smoking temp is around 200-250F (93-121C) but you also really want the flavonoids and phenolic compounds for flavor…

It would be easier to divert some of the engine exhaust via a ‘heat exchanger’ heat the outside of a pot and add whatever flavor wood you want. Then you don’t have to worry about leaks in the gasifier system. There is already a cookbook for cooking food on the manifold. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Fun with chemicals… don’t ask what i did already …
Mix pottasium permanganate with charcoal powder and shoot a blank in it… will do the trick…

4 Likes

Like minds on the heat exchanger idea

2 Likes

I love the concept. I really want to see it. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s like comparing apples to hand grenades.

1 Like

Landed this sweet heart. See it still works. Never go Full…

2 Likes

Positive or negative pressure? We use vacuum gauges in Inches of Water.

Negative!!! Which is so sweet for this project

The gauge has Retard on it does that mean vaccum?
Bob

Am I the only one that got the reference :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yep I did, (the ringer):joy: