The double flute charcoal gasifer

I think this tilt platform for the gasifier is going to work.

I still need to level the whole system under the car so the platform is coming out the back of the Subaru level or tilting up a little with the weight of the gasifier and filter on the platform mount.
When I stepped on to the back of the tilting platform with the gasifier, clycone and hayfilter barrel on it, it dropped a half of a inch. But it held me.

12 Likes

Looking good Bob! Is the platform a part of the cooler?

5 Likes

Are you reading my mind Kristijan. Lol, I was just thinking about that, how I could do this with being tilted up and down positions. No cooling rack on the roof of the car that would be nice. The only problem I can see is weight back there. This gasifier build is probably twice as heavy as it should be. Because of all the extra stiff I built into it to make adjustments to it. A simple barrel hopper with a insulated ammo box would have worked, with the two flutes in the bottom of the barrel and a ash clean out ammo box welded to the bottom of the barrel like you said before. Wrapped it up in insulation to keep it hot. Right!

4 Likes

Bob, I was going to ask about the cooler too, but Kristijan beat me to it.
Maybe you mentioned, but what’s your plan on the hayfilter? I noticed there’s a part in the front missing.

4 Likes

That looks awesome mr Bob :+1:
And it really would help to empty the ashes, open the clean-out door and tilt it.
Well, i really like the idea, and found some old-timers, maybe some inspiration for you?

Only bad is they don’t show how they solved the piping?

7 Likes

GorenK I think your first picture does show their gas piping solution.
Rigid piping with a V-clamp loosening slip joint. In-line with the lower right hand platform pivot joint.
The pipe joint no doubt high temperature greased.

Loosen pipe clamp before pivoting. Wooden mallet tap it loosened.
S.U.

8 Likes

Hi SteveU, you got good eyes, i saw it when i looked closer in the book where i snapped the pic, probably as you say, some kind of clamp, close, just below the pivoting point.
I also like how they mowed the bumper backwards, probably to step on when tilting the gasifier, because it’s weight is front of the pivoting point.
The Lion gasifier has it’s weight behind the pivoting point, and “wants” to tilt back when released.
Interesting fact is the first gasifier should be a wood unit, i cant confirm this, but searching facts about it, pretty compact wood gasifier for the time.

8 Likes

I bought a few rolls of this flex pipe a while back. Haven’t gotten around to using it on anything yet but it would certainly still allow a tilted gasifier to connect to a roof rack cooler.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=flexible+exhaust+pipe+2+inch

6 Likes

Thank you Goran for the pictures. I knew it had been done before and you found the prove of it. With those big wood and charcoal units on the back of the cars with cooling, condensation tanks and all. I know they built them heavy duty back in the WWII days.
Steve, you do have good eyes. Yup a V clap at the pivot point.
Yes JO, I am still thinking of putting some of the weight up front like the condensation tank but the piping would then have to over the top of the car. Nothing is final yet that has not been built and mounted.
The newer cars are not built like the older heavy duty cars were built. Engineers have now made them like beer cans easy to crush to absorb impact in case of a accident.
Here is a question for everyone, who built the first-time ever unibody type car? It was in the 50’s.

5 Likes

Tom, I have a piece of fex type hose and was Thinking of put it inside of some silicone hose instead of a V- clamp fitting.

4 Likes

Those older cars probably all used leaf springs, easy to put in some more “blades” to compensate for the weight, they also used to forge the springs to more of a “bow” to make them stiffer. It also gives a sturdyer rear end, not so side-to side unstable as a coil spring, or even a separate suspended rear will end up.
Good thing today is there are lot’s of stuff available to strengthen the rear.
And by the pic’s, when i find some old stuff, i never, ever try to prove that it “has been done” before, more that the re-inventor are atleast as clever, or even more, than the engineers that came up with this forgotten technique. :smiley: :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

The hay filter will probably sit right next to the gasifier, I used my old Charcoal barrel gasifier with the pipe sticking up and a valve on the lid to mockup where it will go and check out the weight on the platform.

6 Likes

Really not that hard to make a bolt through sub-frame with air bags or coil over shocks that would carry all the weight of that gasfier. Still an issue with balance. Front end may feel a little floaty. Wheelies are entertaining to watch.

9 Likes

Yes Tom, the first wheelie making gasifier Subrau going down the road. I can put some dragster retackable wheelie wheels on the back so I do not drag the matal platform frame making sparks off the road. Or retrack them and with a little off gases from the gasifier and now you have balls of flames and sparks going down the road. Nice, now that is what I call nonstealth gasification. Lol

9 Likes

It has been a while now, I was looking for free piece of heavy gage pipe for my new 55 gallon barrel double flute gasifier. I could weld a extra piece of bar on top and drill holes in it for the double flute nozzle. This gasifier is ment to be a very simple design to make. Like Kristjan or Cody has made.
Today Dana and I took a Sabbath walk to the Columbia River. What a beautiful clear no clouds in the sky day it is. The Duck hunters were up on the northern shore line toward the cove as we saw the big decoys out in the water not moving, Marly our dog saw them and was not fooled, so we turn around and walked down stream to the highway 2 bridge about a miles walk. This is what I found on the low water rocky shore line.

A 4’ long pipe with a welded piece of flat bar on it. I remembered I have found this bebore. A strange thing happen when I lifted the heavy pipe up and place it on my shoulders to take it home. All of a sudden I remembered how they did not allow Yesuha Jesus a Sabbath day of rest but made him carry his cross up the hill out of the city gates to Calvary to be Crucified. That was a long walk home thinking of all the things he went through for us all, yes everyone all of humanity that was ever born or will be born.
Now here is the rest of the story. I actually found this pipe of pipe a long time ago, but forgot about it, and were it was at because I could not see a use for it at the time when I found it. But God never forgets anything period, He remembers everything period. Even a heavy gage steel pipe with a welded piece of metal on it. Thank You YEHOVAH Almighty God for Your Word of (Salvation) that means in Hebrew (Yesuha) who is God’s Son.
Tomorrow God willing, I can start making up some Flute Nozzles for free. God is so good to me, because I believe in Him only and trust in Him for my needs. Yes even a Heavy Gage Steel pipe. I’m a Who So Ever person that Calls On The Name Of The YEHOVAH God, and believe in is Word of (Salvation that means) Yesuha in Hebrew language. K.I.S.S. Keep It Super Simple. DOW.

10 Likes

bob, this thoughts about jesus christ i know also, it is what the bible says that his followers “have written his name on the forehead”…will say our thoughts are always with the lord…
a very important thing is to know what “father” and " son" will mean…the bible speaks in spiritual sense…father and son are not two persons…replace the word “son” with the sentence:
“the project of god to become a human being like we are”…
so all the seeming contradictions in the bible about father and son and if they are one or two persons are disappearing…

8 Likes

Yes I only believe in One God. Like St. JOHN said Yesuha (Salvation) God’s Word became flesh the Messiah, Son of God and our Savior Jesus the Chirst born to save all of humanity that wants to be saved. It was my choice, I invited God’s Holy Spirit to be in me in my youth. Now I am a old man 71 years later and for about 60 years He is still there working in me every day, working the salvation of eternal life. It is the joy and the hope that keeps me going every day of my life here on earth. Yes even working on gasification projects. Every good thing I do, it is God’s Holy Spirit continually working in me, to be more like Him and He never stops and that is good.
Following a man’s religion can’t do this it leaves us with no hope no forgiveness of sin and no Blessings of Peace of God with in us. That is what this humanity needs right now in these trouble times.
I know God chose me beforehand. But He still lets me make the choice of do you really want to follow Yesuha, GOD’S Salvation? Yes I still do. Do I still made mistakes yes, and I still find forgiveness in His grace and mercy every day.
God Is Good.

7 Likes

Difficult to understand, difficult to put into words, utmost importance.
Thank you, Giorgio; Thank you, Bob.

4 Likes

not so difficult as we think…the dogma of trinity was invented at the council of nicea in 325 or so
, invented by priests that have lost the guidance of the holy spirit, because they loved more the money and political power…
before in the origin christianity it was well known that in jesus christ god comes personally on earth…only the body, what is materia, and the soul of jesus christ was created by god, how at every human being, and therefore a “son” (or a created thing), but the spirit in jesus christ was god by himself…only way for us to meet god personally…
with the dogma of the trinity the priests has made god to a hangman, though he is the love…
you understand what spirit works behind this dogma?

5 Likes

Walking and living in the Holy Spirit of The Almighty GOD is a relationship with Him, not a religion that is made by man’s dogma and man’s laws to try to please there gods.
Only God The YEHOVAH can show you the truth and show it to us all. It is for all the who so evers that call on His name. He is not a respecter of persons because we all have missed the mark in our lifes and sinned against the Almighty God. So He gave us all grace and mercy of forgiveness through His only Word Yesuha (Salvation) to redeem us from the curse of sin and eternal death by the Perfect blood on the cross. This alone give me unspeakable tears of joy in my heart. Man and his religion did not show this to me God alone showed to me by his Holy Spirit.
Every time I work on my gasification stuff I know He showed and brought me here to this DOW site. God’s blessings are on this site. All the wonderful people here from many different countries and beliefs are here and are being blessed. This is how God works on our level of understanding too of the things we need to know. I know I am on the end of my life and my youth is gone. But at 71 years old I can still leave some knowledge here on this site for younger people. By passing this knowledge on, I can tell I am not alone on this, by the other members here and there input. They too are doing the samethings. Gasification is very important, and I feel for the future and will be used in the next 1000 years ahead for all of the next generations.

10 Likes