The "What followed me home" thread

Hi All,
What has followed me up to our new home location appeared to be a very, very old radio receiver:

Ha! Ha! For years just seeing the speaker horn end sidways I’d thought it was a WWII Japamerse Army helmet brought back.

Penciled in are stations tuned going from 1915 thru 1936.
Unit brand marked Freshman Masterpiece.
Five tubes . . . that means a 12 vdc unit, yes?
S.U.

13 Likes

That is a nice one, SteveU, are you sure 12v dc, i believe these could built for separate batteries, glow battery, 6,3volts. And anode battery, maybe up to 100volts?

4 Likes

There aren’t too many things I’m too young for nowdays, but for this I’m on the edge. At least in the US, tubes (valves) had filament voltages of 1, 5, 6, 12, 50 and maybe 3 and others. If they’re not too old, the first digit or two in the type nuimber would be approximately the filament voltage. “A” batteries were for the filament (or heater) supply, and “B” batteries with voltages of 45, 67.5 and 90 that I remember, probably others, for the B+ (anodes). Amazon will sell you a 67.5 volt alkaline battery for a mere $64.95.

3 Likes

Not necessarily 12v. It may take AC input.

I think this is the radio. Freshman Masterpiece first tabletop model AM receiver. I can’t find the schematic for it atm, but I am positive there is one out there on the interwebs for this.

4 Likes

It appears the 1925 models use two 45v “B” batteries. I know about zero about old radios, but apparently there are a b and c batteries. On other model, they were saying there was no C battery and the A power was 5v (which probably could use a 6v battery).

I think this is the schematic.

masterpiece_first_table_model_422441

2 Likes

@sbowman might know.

1 Like

On the schematic, hard to read, it looks like 5 volts for the filaments, 45+5=50 for the plates (anodes) and 45 volts for the plate of the detector tube. So maybe one 6v battery, pulled down to 5 volts by a fair current for the filaments, one 45v battery added to that for the amplifier plates, and one 45v battery for the detector plate (maybe to adjust detector bias without being affected by the amplifier stages?). Looks like three tuning settings, one for the antenna, two for the radio frequency amplifiers. That may take some fiddling :slightly_smiling_face:

edit: I have no hands-on experience with these, YMMV.

3 Likes

Cody,
You’d probably have to add one or two more "very"s to Steve Unruh’s “very, very, old radio” for me to know much about it. My interest in radios is mostly limited to pre-tube radios and transmitters. As others have suggested, radios of that vintage were generally DC battery powered and likely with multiple voltages.

5 Likes

Well you are right. Not a 12vdc. A needing duel voltage batteries, direct current.
I was misremembering from a visit to the Spark Museum 12+ years ago:
https://www.sparkmuseum.org

According to Steve’s Antique Technology site not much value in these. Shelf display collectors only for pretty, and old. Later AC electric models maybe if a “name”. Crosly; and a couple of others.

Looking closely I think the 1913 and 1915 penciled tune-in’s were actually 1943 and 1945.

I’ll gift it to a 1st cousin who likes these kind of things.
I collect differently.
Thanks for the answers
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

todays Sunday deal was 3 of these beautiful garden fire pit charcoal makers , full stainless steel and clean enough the wife wont complain about the old rusting thing in the garden like what she did with the steel one i had .
1 meter wide at the top and stand 700 high weigh about 50KGs

Dave

19 Likes

Lol all i could think reading that is 700 meters high is really tall…
Those look really nice though should keep the complaints down on the looks aspect.

6 Likes

Wow! What a find. Can’t wait to see them filled with glowing char.

4 Likes

Great find! You could probably suck air out the bottom and it would be an open top gasifier.

Do they come with a lid?

3 Likes

No lids , but its a very thick walled rim around the top about 15 mm thick so a sheet of maybe 2 or 3 mm would cover and be able to be screwed down air tight , they contacted me yesterday to say they had 1 more would i want it , i have sold 1 for a normal fire pit to a neighbor so far and kept 1 for myself , so might get the 4th one as well .
Dave

8 Likes

This followed me home today, a old fire pump.
Free :smiley:

Four cylinder, flathead engine.

It came with transport cart, and some 6" suction hoses.

I didn’t know it came with the cart, so i had to borrow a trailer at work.

What im going to use it for? Well, don’t ask, i will find a use for it :smiley:

14 Likes

That’s very cool!!!

8 Likes

Pretty neat. Uses are endless

8 Likes

Hello Goran, posts like this make me nervous, but I have to control myself so I don’t drag home everything I see. I have a bunch of unfinished projects waiting to be realized,… :grin:
Definitely an excellent find, perfect for assembling an electricity generator, and using the waste heat for central heating, remove the pump and install an asynchronous electric motor approx. 15 kW, if it works independently without a network, it needs a three-phase capacitor 3x150 yF, if it works with a network, 3x60 yF, the best electric motor is the one with 2900 rpm (higher speed - less magnetism for excitation, smaller capacitor, smaller reactive current, less losses)

12 Likes

gratulation, göran!! very nice piece!!
do you know the construction year?
in my youth i was member of fire brigade volunteers…
and now i have again to do with fire…but only in the gasifiers…:slight_smile:

9 Likes

Good ideas Tone, i thought about that myself, this industrial engine already have water-cooled exhaust manifold= more heat recovery.
And for generator i have one already, a little too big, but i don’t need to fully load it. (3×25 amps i believe)
And… i don’t have the self-control as you have, if im going to finish all my projects i need to live to 180 years old :crazy_face:

9 Likes