Thrive Off Grid

OK, That was weird. I never uploaded a freshly taken photo from my cell phone before, but it went!! Here is an Argos 2019 still…

8 Likes

Hi Mat
do you mean injection of pressurized water vapor into the gasifier air nozzle?

1 Like

Off topic comment on Garry’s post #1130 above. If you want to use biochar without a compost pile, don’t forget to inoculate the biochar or it will suck up nutrients the first year in the garden. Urine is full of nitrogen and a great inoculant. A bucket full of charcoal fines is a great odor-free urinal for the shop.

8 Likes

No just steam no pressure, water drip on something that will flash it. Like engine exhaust. You dont even need to flash you can simply drip directly into the nozzle.

3 Likes

i built something similar on my toyota 22re pickup. the “droplets” of water volatilize on the exhaust pipe before being swallowed by the nozzle

6 Likes

I would like to pressurize the steam to produce a venturi effect on the air entering the nozzle (to compensate, a little, for the pressure drop of the gasifier)

2 Likes

here is my source of inspiration. We can see in this drawing a nozzle for the water vapor in the axis of the air nozzle
if the steam jet enters the nozzle at high speed, the air is sucked in by the venturi effect
this configuration pressurizes, slightly, the air in the generator and reduces the pressure differential between the inlet and the outlet of the gasifier . What do you think ? :thinking:

8 Likes

Excellent idea. This suggestion caused me to close the circle on the humanure toilet concept. Ground charcoal added to the organic cover material will greatly enhance the whole system. Odour control will be enhanced. Though not much of an issue in the original system, this will offer enhanced odour control. And there could be no simpler or sounder way to pre inoculate/ pre charge biochar and deal with the human waste problem.

5 Likes

Matt,
Do you have a link for the material you use for high temp gas hose? It looks like probably wire reinforced silicone.

1 Like

Did you find your leak, Steve?

1 Like

JO, I reported on yesterday’s tests in the DOW Driving Habits thread. Everything so far has checked out OK. Next is a cleanout and nozzle inspection sometime in the next few weeks. Some have questioned how much flex exhaust may leak. I use that between my cyclone and filter, so I thought I would ask Matt about his alternative. I’ll report the rest of the story later. Thanks for asking.

4 Likes

I get the high temp hose from McMaster Carr.

Look up High Temp Duct Hose or see this link https://www.mcmaster.com/duct-hose/high-temperature-flexible-duct-hose-for-fumes/

2 Likes

Matt,
Thanks for the link. Wow! that is expensive stuff. Guess I’ll stick with flex exhaust.

2 Likes

This is why I only use it as coupling. Ive gone away from pipe flange connections. Simply mate the pipes together using this as a high temp connection with hose clamps.

On charcoal units I dont offer any attachment kits. I leave it up the user, if they can do it on the cheap than that is great!! Otherwise its all the things like this that drive up the cost and there is really no way around it if you doing things the right way. I dont skimp on the stuff I build and this cost adds up.

2 Likes

Matt,
I’m not sure whether I discovered this company or someone posted the link to DOW. I’ve had this link in my bookmarks for a while. It looks like the same product to me, but with lower price:

5 Likes

Nice find, I now have it book marked too :slight_smile: Yeah when we get into cost cutting we will look for cheaper sources. One at a time build to order; McMaster is cheaper once you factor shipping from all the independent sources.

5 Likes

Ok so work has begun on the Pellet version of the Fusion Stove / Char pellet processor. Its getting colder here in Mich and I will be in need for this very soon.

Im building the pellet version first as it is based on the latest reactors used in the gasifiers and I already know the capability of char production. However, in a stove application I have tuned and modified this a bit to draft from a chimney. This borrows concepts from the Enduro stove as well and features a dedicated cook top making it EPA exempt. Even though I anticipate this thing to blow away any EPA test put in front of it.

I did not add a hot water loop in this one but we can easily implement this in the heat exchange tower.

This has an active grate system just like the gasifiers and can be set up with or with out the auger drag out system. It has a three stage air system. A primary stage, a full combustion stage and a bypass stage for char coal production.

In heat stage the air passed thru the char bed from the bottom. In char pellet production stage the air enters above the grate bypassing it allowing the char pellets to remain in tact and fall through a very passive grate system.

I should have this demo complete today so video should be coming soon. The cordwood version we will start work on as well but this version will need to be put through its paces in development and testing over some time before I can offer it for market. :fire:

12 Likes

Wheewwhh!!! I am beat!!! This thing went from nothing, to design concept to manufacturing infrastructure to CNC manufacture to weld assembly, then paint and then finally full assembly in just 5 days!!!

15 Likes

I’m thinking that working with materials like those would be about like a first class flight to O town.

3 Likes

Matt, that is a really nice unit you got there. Is this just for making charcoal, or is that a crossfire charcoal gas generator?

1 Like