Thrive Off Grid

Matt, just one prospect’s view but I’d really like to be able to run a Predator 670 (670cc) with attached genhead. I know premade inverter generators are much easier to use but I’d want the extra power of the 670cc engine and I’m not aware of an inverter generator that uses that engine.

Ideally I’d want two engines in fact, each with a genhead. That way I’d have an extra for backup or the option to use two simultaneously for “surge” potential.

Do you think the DXF-14 would have enough gas production / low enough vacuum for an engine like that? Seems like it would be pushing it.

3 Likes

There is a funny story of living here in Michigan in the winter time of a person that moved here from the south. Its kind of how a gasifier is.

They start out moving here and then see the first snow fall and how beautifull the snow covered trees are. Then they enthusiastically break out the snow shovel and then clear the drive. Then the damb plow truck flys by and shwooossh all the dirty crappy snow back in the drive. Then the guy is like Hahaha and clears it back out. This then goes on and on through the winter until he reaches the breaking point and throws the shovel at the plow truck. Then moves away the next spring.

A gasifier is just like this. At first its magical almost unbelievable; except you are actually wittinessing this for your self and seeing it with your own eyes. Then the engine stalls and you happily throw your back out re starting it. Then you smile once its back up and running! Then its out of fuel! Then you happily go to process more fuel for it so you can witness this magic again!! Then this goes on and on until its " Oh crap!!" That POS stalled again!! Auuurrrgghhh!! Dang it the valve is stuck!!! or what the hell why wont it start is it clogged?? Ah man that thing ate all that fuel already??!!! Ah man back out in the cold to make more fuel!!

10 Likes

Oh yeah, this unit should run that engine better than any machine we have built prior. I dont push inverter generators. They are expensive and not what you want for off grid. You want an inverter generator only if you are going to use it as a primary power mover. Otherwise its really just a waste of money. If you are using a generator for off grid you actually want the old school units. Becuase the chargers could careless if the AC is dirty. If you have an invereter with the onboard chargers. Then the the charger simply converts to DC and then back to AC even if in pass thru mode or batteries are not employed. For the same money you could get a comparable generator with an off grid power inverter for the same cost as the inverter generators. Ill never buy another one again. I bought the ones we have just to try parralleling them. But we can live without that so next generator I will probably is the WEN 500cc unit.

10 Likes

When we built the 14 inch unit we were like dang that is a BIG gasifier. Now it dont look so big anymore. That 18 incher is massive!!! I can litterally gasify myself in that thing!!!

12 Likes

Just wrapped up design work on the 2024 CFX RTR. This is now the fourth gen crossdraft charcoal system. Ill no longer offer this in a series. This is basically the largest we can produce that is most cost efffective. It is basically a revamped version of the DFX-S4 I sent Bill out in New Hampshire. However it is the same hieght as the S3 as we can get two shells out of one sheet of steel. Verses one and then a drop we have figure out how to make best use of. Plus those larger shells were hard to manage and form. But other than that it has more in common with the S4 than the smaller S3. So it should be more versitile and capabable to run the V Twins. Im not going to claim that just yet until we actually test. But the smaller single cylinder genny’s will be no problem like Bill showed.

Made some changes to reduce the fuel consumption biasing to the front, it will be more even and will make better use of the fuel available in the hopper. It will have two Nozzle arrangement options. The standard 1/2 inch nozzle and the larger 3/4 for the V Twins. The nozzle port is lowered an inch so that should help get a little more run time plus the added 2 inches in width to the hopper. Im speculating it will have an hour longer run time than the DFX-S3 it is succeeding. Its getting a wheel upgrade to the 13 inch wheels. The new Ametek design is also shared from the VFX-14, so it is now removable, you just unscrew it. You can then addapt it to a barrel drum filter to pre cool and scrub the gas. Beefed up the handle and stand struts. Hopper load entrance is much larger. The Fusion is much more refined we look like a manufacturer now.

Yeah basically this is the S4 for the price of the S3.

16 Likes

Ok here is our brand new 2024 CFX Demo unit. The rest of the units for this 1st quarter production cycle will complete starting next week. We have 7 more units to complete and then we start all over again mid April.

17 Likes

Those look really nice.

4 Likes

Yup they are beautiful in person.

3 Likes

I bet they are!! Maybe for a promotional picture take one to the beach today for a the snowy beach backdrop. Or maybe to the ski slope and fire up a nice flame for people to warm up. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Who me? Outside?? Here in Michigan at the end of March??? No Waayy!!!

4 Likes

We are sending one to a high sub Youtube channel.

7 Likes

I figured you would be out in shorts :slight_smile:

A high sub channel would probably be good as well. I seem to pull a lot of them up these days. Hopefully, they do a good review of it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice one Matt , great looking machine for sure

6 Likes

If you really want to market them you have to put boobs on them. Works for everything else.

9 Likes

We are working on it.

Edit: Wait nevermind anything Ive had with boobs was nothing but big trouble for me.

7 Likes

LOL. Well sex does sell. But if you can paint your Name/logo (with or without boobs) and URL on it. Then if people see it in the video, they might go directly to the site.

3 Likes

Im going to get a lazer to etch the side panels at some point. We had a magnetic paint stencil but it was a pain the rear.

6 Likes

A sticker would work but it might burn up in the heat. They make sticker paper and just print it off and cut it out. OR you could get fancy and one of those cnc cutting machines, which I think you can get a laser attachment for your 3d printer. OR Laser engraving which is a bit harder but then you could have a plate that rivets on. OR, if you have a piece of brass, copper, etc. you can do the electrochemical etching.

2 Likes

We will do something. I plan to at somepoint get them on Amazon, possibly this fall. So we will need to put our markings on them along with the URL. I know Ive probably said this before but I think Im done with this companies dev. Im having a hard time moving forward with the VersiFire development. As this is just so much simpler, lower cost and waaaaaaaaayyy less complex. The VersiFire is a lot cost, it will be ton of work and it will be complex. Im just not seeing it as a viable product for running small power generators and dont want to nor will I ever offer anything for any larger. So I think this is it although I do have to complete the initial concept development of the VersiFire. But I think once Im there its going to shelfed and everything will get archived if for what ever reason we can make it viable later on.

7 Likes

I dont think it is that hard to get something listed on Amazon. But they seem to charge quite a bit and you have to take into consideration their return policy, as well as their shipping and charging policy when setting the price. From what I have heard, resellers can take some losses.

The VersiFire, is a neat concept, and could be useful for applications that require control for heating. I was certainly eyeballing it. Regardless of production costs, I wouldn’t want to sell it as a product in the US with the liability laws the way they are.

4 Likes