Thrive Off Grid

Yes that is another big issue; the liability. Thats why I changed the marketing stratagy to for this to simply be for running small engines. This will just be the wood fuel version.

One thing I will experiment with is setting this CFX Demo unit up to the VersiFire and try running wood fuel in the CFX. It that is possible then it may become a more viable product. This will just be a way to make the CFX run wood fuel reliably. Then also if this is posible then that pretty much makes the VFX 14 a lost cause and obsolete.

So we will see, I have two beta units that I do have to complete and I was planning run beta test before bringing this to market. I probably will never market this in way where the gas is moved to a dwelling. As long as I dont market the machine that way I cant be held liable. We put a warning out somewhere in the machines packaging or directly on it warning its not meant for that application.

7 Likes

But Ive not given you my address yet! hahaha.

4 Likes

Ok first run of the year and first run with the CFX RTR.

Had some issues, I couldnt get my lighter to light!! No problem with the gasifier I just could not get my little torch to fire off to light it. So just rolled with it and ended up using paper. That was good anyways as everyone uses torches so some people think you must use a torch lol.

Then I had no hay for the hay filter. So used some fines / mulch and yeah that stuff got sucked through the screen inside the ammo box. So I come up with putting a piece of scotch brite in front of the screen. So I think Im going to add that and install it inside the screen housing on all new builds and there after. It worked great for tonights run. I ran two hopper loads.

So all design changes were successful. The new jet location has solved the biasing to the front of the unit. However the nozzle is more exposed so I do need to investigate to see if there was degradation. But that maybe an easy fix as I can thread in a pipe from the inside to sleave it and protect it.

The new blower mount system we already knew would work as its borrowed from the DFX wood fueled units.

The new Fusion didnt notice any issues there its just a more refined design but still works the same as the old version. It just looks a lot nicer and thankfully they are easier to manufacture. So that part was a success.

Overall had a good run, the second run I timed and I got about 2 hours run time running at a 2 kW load. I got another 25 minutes with the load reduced. Its not really much more than the DFX S3 however it did this with no intervention where as the older unit would need some intervention to move the fuel to the front to get this same run time. Plus doing periodic AFR adjustements here and there.

The new nozzle air intake didnt work as planned though. I have too many holes so not enough volocity. So need to do some tuning. I have six 1/4 inch holes in the face of the cap. I think I think to cut that in half. So planning to just plug weld three of the holes and that should do the trick.

16 Likes

Ok on the water drip tube. I plugged the 3 holes and it didnt really make a difference. So next try was to extend the drip tube further in so that is extened into the nozzle. Where before it only extended into the larger 3/4 nipple. So now its in the nozzle that is 1/2 inch to increase the volocity. That worked! Now I have a nice even coat all the way around the nozzle. Unfortunatly its impossible to get a picture of it

11 Likes

Ok so this is for Matt. This is what i have been working on this winter. New shop, upgraded my plasma cutter and worked on my gasafier. Im sure u can see where my inspiration comes from. Hopefully flare test next weekend.Processing: 20240420_083309.jpg…
Processing: 20240420_083318.jpg…
Processing: 20240420_083336.jpg…
Processing: 20240420_083343.jpg…
Processing: 20240420_083406.jpg…

6 Likes

Your pics didnt load would love to see them!

1 Like

ok well try again

17 Likes

Just returned from the shop. A few more photos.

18 Likes

Man you must really want a job here? lol

15 Likes

I would think that it was a build from Matt’s shop. Good job!

13 Likes

I just watch and pay attention to what works and that is what i strive for. Im getting much better in designing and plasma cutting and welding. I love metal.

16 Likes

Awesome workmanship, I love the smiley face you put in.

14 Likes

Here is a quick video of my charcoal kiln.

7 Likes

matt… do you use a seal on the top of your drums, hopper and filter??

3 Likes

Nope, you cant keep a seal intact at these temps. Its not needed anyways.

3 Likes

ok i tried a bead of htrtv but couldn’t get a good seal. after i removed all i got a good seal.
thanks

4 Likes

Are you talking about the gasifier or the retort?

For the gasifier lid, you need the stock gasket. If that gets ruined you need a new lid. Otherwise you can use ceramic tape with adhesive back. McMaster-Carr

on the retort you dont need anything. The lid just needs to fit good on the drum is all.

4 Likes

the gasafier. i have some ceramic tape left.thanks

4 Likes

Ok first test run was a success. I had to run it on store bought charcoal for now. 30gal hopper is a lot to fill. This was so much easier to run than the ammo can. Next is to get cracking on my own charcoal. This is awesome!!

13 Likes

You are going to have to do something else at the output. We added a gas cooler to the back of those machines. The gas is too hot for that hose.

But very cool to see it working!!

9 Likes