Toyota t100 3.4l Wood gasifier

I’m still going over my possibilities for wood gas projects. I came across a 1997 Toyota t100 with a 3.4l V6 in it. Gets around 190HP. If I lost say 30% of power on wood gas, looks like i’ll get close to 130hp if im not mistaken.
Also a 1998 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 V6. 160 HP
Looks like both engines have metal intakes as well and MPFI
For wood gasification, I plan on using for around town and occasional highway driving, I’m not looking to go 80, maybe 70 if I have to. Anyone have experience with these engines? Thanks all. I’m leaning more towards the small-mid size truck size. Hence my candidates. Also, for future posting, so I dont post a bunch about my truck candidates, I just want to verify, all I really need in an engine for wood gasification to work adequately, preferably Keith’s gasifier, is MPFI, and a metal intake, and a decent marigin for power loss? Thanks all! Glad to be here and learning

9 Likes

The Ranger would be pretty easy to adapt for woodgas, or at least easily shut off the gasoline. It’s also lighter and has some more CFM than the Toyota engine. @trikebuilder57 built a WK for his 98 with the 2.3L engine.

I’d lean to the Ranger if that’s your only decent option. Are there no Silverados or other pickups? When you get your premium side activated I’d take a look at Don Mannes’ S10 and Al Frick’s 98 Ranger build to see ways to keep your gasifier lightweight.

11 Likes

Thank you, I plan on getting the book later this month! I’ll check their builds out.

8 Likes