Tractor with gas?

Someone wrote that he makes and welds a gasifier (JO) while he sleeps, but when he wakes up, he is disappointed, but I dreamed of the construction of a mixer, … :relieved::grinning:

10 Likes

Some details: - the conical element in the middle slides along a thin axis, the spring pushes it into the seat and thus closes the gas inflow in the middle and at the same time the smaller holes for air intake in the conical seat - the pressure, or vacuum from the gas opening is transferred to a small membrane that dampens the air flow, greater vacuum - greater damping, maybe I would add a small spring here to help the membrane, this is how I would adjust and change the ratio,…

7 Likes

Tone, have you looked at vacuum automixers? They are not ideal but you may get some ideas for your automixer.

7 Likes

7 Likes

I think you will be testing a lot of different spring tensions to find just the right one and it will probably be different on different engines so I would make that housing easy to separate.

4 Likes

I think it won’t be difficult for Tone to find a correct spring because he already did this with his propane mixer see Gas “carbourator”.
My question is about the mass of the conical element. If there is a bump in the road will the conical element move and create a bad mixture? Perhaps we should make a very low mass conical element out of thin aluminum?
Rindert

6 Likes

I just can’t see where your going with that

Very simple Wallace,
The real IC engines guys who are maintaining, modifying for thousands of hours of service lifes are the only ones you want to follow.
As they are the only ones who have a relevance to pay-back when bought new and then worked.
Gotten used; restored, then dependably worked.

All else is shallow fluff.
Grandstanding. Noise made by burning up Dollars. Yen, Marks, Pounds, Euro’s.

Real results is measured by hours-worked per every hundred dollars, yen, marks, marks, pounds, Euros spent-out.

Landed fish . . . or cut bait . . . or gut, clean and descale. Don’t watch. Do.
Opt out of the either Entertain; or be Entertained; culture crappola.

Ha! Ha! Last weekend still in heat-days and wildfire smoke I ran max loaded 9500 generator fuel-time testing. 5 miles away I could hear at the old logging rail end concreate sorting yard RaceTrack the fellows were circuit tracing their highly modifieds mostly rice-banger trailered in machines.
Previous weekend it was the 8 miles away the Riverside sand-drags having at it in the volcanic ash sand. I was doing my generator’s unloaded hours to run baseline testing back then.
And mine will operate at out to least 1500 hours service life, aluminum block, cylinder head,
and connecting rod and all. Thiers? Weekend warriors. 10’s of hours. Maybe a few hundred hours before rebuilding on those engines. B.F.D.
One activity has relevance to woodgas for IC engine fueling.
The other . . . .pisstoch as far as DIY woodgasing is concerned.
Steve unruh

6 Likes

Hi Tone , I had a check valve on my truck like what you are planning on building. It got stuck up with soot and tar. Yes it was placed before my hay filter and it used for flaring the gasifier only. I finally could not get it to operate properly so I replaced it with a 2" gate valve. It did work great for a long time and I used hot water to try to keep it cleaned out.
Yours should be okay up by the engine intake. But I would make it a clean able take a part mixing devise. My was not.
I do have a auto mixer on my truck engine and every part can be removed and cleaned or taken a part for repairs. Mine works great keeping my gas to air ratio blanced when excelerating or stopping and idling.
Bob

4 Likes

You are absolutely right Mr Steve. High performance is for hobbyists. Anybody that looks at the tach on their vehicle will see it does all it’s work between a thousand and four thousand RPM and the high end is only momentary acceleration. The performance a person gets from engines built to operate most efficiently at higher RPM-HP ranges will almost always be deter-mental to engines running at normal RpM-torque ranges.

10 Likes

Myopic… And I used to build race engines…
I cant see where your going with that…
Joke man!!!

Pretty sure I have said that before.
I’ve even made point about what engines are best suited to this application and what hodrod parts might and might not be of interest with regards to clones.
And I also build race engines ( leaving that door open a touch in case we start racing wood gas karts or something )

woodgas tractor racing!!!

4 Likes

In the 2 wheel tractor races I think I know who is going to win the towing test and the hill climb…@Tone

2 Likes

Absolutely no joke…

Woodgas racing is a sport that deserves to be revived.

3 Likes

The toyota needs rear end gears for that endeavor…

3 Likes

Thank you Marcus for betting on me, :grinning::grinning:I will try to get you a bet, but the competition is strong in the 500cc group.:muscle::checkered_flag: As I announced, I will try to achieve 5kW load at 2000 rpm first.:fire:

8 Likes
8 Likes

That was a fine looking rig. Is there something about Europe that they have an excess of chromium and don’t know what to do with it so they just turn all steel stainless? Was this whole thing run on that one little can of chips and was the thing with the torch at the start just of get some charcoal primed to start the reaction?

1 Like

JO once described our European mentality well. Forgot wich thread.
Althugh vastly compromised my the capitalism, our mindset is still aimed towards permanentability. It seems, since we have been scredwed for more time thain not trugh out history, we have this inprinted in our brain. Never carry all the eggs in one basket, always hage a plan B (and C, D…), make your work count. Truth is, 8 out of 10 its all overly exhagurated. But we all seem to fall for it.

Its something l did not notice so much while visiting the US.

7 Likes

Your country is much older with many changes over the years. But we are catching up fast, I see it just in my life time the changes.
Bob

5 Likes

Generator test,…

18 Likes