Tractor with gas?

You could always add another barrel - just for safety :rofl:

9 Likes

And then 1-2 more within a four hour period and then you just will not care!
Safety be damned.
S.U.

6 Likes

Tone help, help.
I tested the unit on the tractor yesterday, it does not work to go up in rpm, is it because I drive the gas through the oil cleaner, or is it because I have not changed the ignition, or is it something completely different that I do not understand?

4 Likes

Hi Jan , as far as I can make out from the video , you have restricted the diesel pump and set the demand lever to Max , which should suit , then you try to raise the revs by enriching the mixture of wood gas and air , which should work . But the Lucas diesel pump , grrrr , how I hate it :angry: , if I think carefully about the principle of operation , I find that the stop lever and the speed governor springs operate on one element and that is the metering valve which doses the diesel fuel from the low pressure to the high pressure , in this case it is set to a certain minimum opening , which is sufficient to keep the engine running at lower revs , but when the revs would increase, there is not enough flow through this opening and there is no ignition in the engine. Grrr , ā€¦ Youā€™ll have to loosen the stop lever a bit so that the engine only revs with diesel fuel , ā€¦ when you load the tractor (say with an electricity generator), you will only see the power of the wood gas. :grinning: :thinking: :fire:

6 Likes

Yes, I looked at this this morning, do you think it would work if I regulate the diesel outside the pump?

3 Likes

Jan, I think the sky is the best, just increase the stop lever limit a bit.

1 Like

I think introducing gas after the air filter is better because that way there is a little more suction on the gasifier.

It seems the governor for the injection pump is sensing the effect on RPM of the wood gas and is further reducing the injected fuel to keep the RPM set at specific range.

If that is the case you will need to find a way to lock the governor at low speed.

Do you have something you can load the engine PTO with?
Maybe a generator???

Set the governor under load then try to add woodgas to see if this works better.
I never thought about how to work around a diesel injection pump set to constant speed governor before like this that was not on a generator.

1 Like

Yes, as I understand it, G closes the diesel, by the rod goes to the right, and presses M. M presses N to the left and stops the rpm on the engine, if I can put a fork in the spring P and pull it to the right, so would not the engine rpm stop?

2 Likes

Why add a fork, since the lever K stretches the spring J, which pushes the spring P, which presses the position of the dosing valve O over the lever N to the limit previously limited by the lever G. The centrifugal regulator will still limit excessive speeds or set speeds .

I do not think I understand this, but if I were to remove the spring and shaft P, would not the engine go up in rpm on gas then? Then there is nothing that holds against the regulator?

The preload tension of the spring P presses the position of the dosing valve to the limit position set with the lever G, the amount of fuel should be sufficient so that it can rotate unloaded to the final speed, and wood gas will give useful working power.

But how do I know if Iā€™m using gas at all, and not just diesel?
If I am idling with the wood splitter or generator, will I use any gas at all then?

2 Likes

Diagrams with letters on the parts. Even I can understand what you guys are talking about. :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

Hi Jan, on any gasifer system if you are pulling a vaccum on it, and incoming air is going to the nozzles you are using the gasifer gases and they are going into your engine diesel or gasoline.
When I am running hybrid mode I make sure I see some vaccum on the gasifer, how much depends on the ratio I want to burn in the engine. So put a vaccum gauge after the grate on the cooling rails or a convenient spot where you can see the vaccum gauge when driving.
You still have to deal with the regulating of the diesel fuel. Sorry I have no experience in diesel injection pumps.
Bob

2 Likes

For an easy flow verification on a smaller engine such as this a fellow could use a Robert Bosch/Nippon Denso vane type air flow meter.

This was done on an American TV program Mountain Men. 90% was faked. But that a separate Nippon Denso vane flow meter was junkyard sought out and used; and that it did make woodgas enough to at least idle run their Toyota pickup truck was real.
S.U.

3 Likes

Do you mean Eustace Conwayā€™s FEMA pickup?

I had suspicions that build was already dubious.

Iā€™ve been up there once, before the TV show. My cousin visits the preserve more often than I do.

3 Likes

Jan, watch the video well, on the left is the stop lever, on the right is the speed adjustment lever, below is the spring that returns the stop lever to the operating position and at the same time the speed adjustment lever to the minimum position, so if you install a suitable spring on the stop lever and so you limit the amount of fuel, this limit would vary depending on the position of the turn lever, so it would optimize diesel fuel consumption, I hope you understand.

4 Likes

Today I made some progress on my gasifier, ā€¦

11 Likes

I think I understand what youā€™re saying, but I do not understand how the pump works.
If O is locked in idle mode (is the amount diesel?)
And N is completely gone.
And K in high rpm.
Would rpm then go up on the engine with the help of the gas?

1 Like

Ideja je, da O ni v popolnoma zaklenjenem načinu, ampak minimalno odstopa na več goriva, ko se K premakne v visoke vrtljaje, s čimer se poveča odprtina za gorivo, tako da motor dobi dovolj goriva za visoke vrtljaje. Krmilna črpalka za gorivo s svojim regulatorjem zagotavlja stalen tlak na dozirnem ventilu O, ne glede na Ŕtevilo vrtljajev, zato je treba ta ventil za velike hitrosti Ŕe malo odpreti. Ko je traktor v obratovanju, boste videli, da se pri tako omejenem gorivu skoraj ne more premakniti z mesta, kaj Ŕele vleči kaj za seboj, ko pa dodate plin, razvije delovno silo.

2 Likes