U. S. A. Cross Country trip

Hi Everybody
My Dad and I have been throwing around the idea of a cross country trip on wood. Theoretically next spring or summer. that should give me enough time to build another truck. Our idea of a route was from Savannah GA to Corvallis Or where Dr. Larry lives. From there to around Detroit MI to Mobile Al. If you happened to be close to our route would anyone have wood, beds, showers, etc…

7 Likes

Hi Jacob, I live north of Corvallis Or. And so does Mike Gibb, In Kent WA. I live in East Wenatchee WA. It is about 7 hr. drive. Mike lives closer. I have a place for both of you here, with hot showers, and food on the table. And lots of wood to drive on. Just let me know.
From my house you can take highway 2 to Spokane hook up on I-90 and take the northern routes or go southern route on highway 82 to 80 across the central part of the USA. That’s the route that Mike I took this year. Next we will probably take the northern I-90 route.
Looking forward to this epic journey across the USA. This should have a live feed set up on DOW so we can go along on the journey with both of you. Maybe something like the friday hangout. @Chris would know how to set it up for DOW.
Bob

3 Likes

This was my idea of a route. I am Just going to have to find wood between you and Bill.
I will probably try to bypass Chicago.

3 Likes

Good morning Jakob.

I am close enough to you that I may not be much help but you know the welcome sign is always out.

3 Likes

While still in the planning stages, you might consider making it an international trip, I’m sure you could make a trap line of refueling stops in one part or another of Canada, and no doubt get some good press coverage in the non climate change denying north…

3 Likes

I guess you know Bill’s new place is real close to the Canadian border, i.e. not in Ramsey.

3 Likes

Just off I80 between Omaha and Lincoln Ne exit 409. They might get I 29 open by the time you make your trip. Just for reference 2 hrs north of Kansàs City

2 Likes

Wayne, Not sure how much wood you would be willing to put into the project, but one idea was to stop and reload at your place on the way south to Mobile and skip our place altogether to save a bunch of miles.

Personally i like the idea. Have to consider the snow and polar bears up there and camping in the cold etc…but also, how would legalities be for that and driving in a wood truck etc. Do you have any mroe info on those kinds of subjects?

Didn’t remember that actually, thanks.

That would be a welcome pit stop considering the long trek to Oregon with few contacts in between. Would you have access to a good bit of wood and/or a way to process it? I have an uncle in Wichita that would be about the same way along as you. And then maybe a stop in Colorado, and one maybe in Boise, Idaho. . But we have few contacts in that part of the world.

3 Likes

Polar bears aren’t found unless you go some 1500 km north of here near Hudson’s bay. Also a great drive up to Gillam, I’m sure it would be the furthest north a wood gas vehicle has ever gone. Unless @jo-ollson has a challenge for that. Even Gillam would be a rare winter sighting only, once in years. Black bears I can fairly assure you, as they chew on my doorknobs. And also a good chunked wood supply, bur oak is as dense as walnut.

It would be good to consider an international journey. I am quite sure that with preparation on FB you would be made almost an honourary Canadian. There is no more amenable foreign territory for an American to go to. We are the same people.

5 Likes

Hello Jakob

I should be able to put you on all the wood you can haul :grinning:

5 Likes

[quote=“BillyAlabama, post:8, topic:4644”]
Personally i like the idea. Have to consider the snow and polar bears up there and camping in the cold etc…but also, how would legalities be for that and driving in a wood truck etc. Do you have any mroe info on those kinds of subjects?

Shouldn’t be any snow between May and the end of September. Harsh country for sure, but it keeps the unwanted nasties out. When it’s warm, with 18 hour days, t’s really warm, and things grow phenomenally. With winter being the opposite

I don’t know of any issues regarding fueling of the vehicle. I would probably aim like Steve U recommends, run on gasoline at the border, the border folks will most likely just see a rack and stuff. And even if you explain it, their eyes will probably glaze over. I don’t believe there is any federal issue with fuel, or running on the road. Technically there could be an issue with federal tax on fuel, which is why I would recommend running on dino at the border.

Other than that, I expect you would be seen as a hero up here, probably make a pile of friends…

5 Likes

Jakob, I’m about 2.5 hrs south of the canadian border. I live near Brimson, MN. From here you can take Hwy 2 straight across to WA.
My concern going to Canada is taking wood across the border. They are pretty particular about organic material going from one side to the other. However, You could maybe cross the border in Thunderbay and get wood from @Dustin and head over to @Calvin_rader and come back over the border to head to WA. Depending on when you do this, I may join up with you.

5 Likes

Even scrap lumber in lumber yards could be used or old stickers from saw mills. You might want to put your new wood chunker in the trailer and haul it with you.
The Highway 2 route across the USA to Brimson MN. is mostly two lane road. I have never driven it pass the State of Montana. Beautiful country up there.
Bob

4 Likes

I have thought about it but this thing is really heavy. With tires and tongue my 1000 lb lift will barely pick it up. That kind of weight would slow me down a lot unless I decided to build a bigger setup.

3 Likes

Yup that chunker is way to heavy to pull up over the Rocky Mountains and passes. Well there is always a light weight table saw, chain saw, and the hatchet. I think @Wayne used a table saw on his race out of L.A. a few years back.
Bob

5 Likes

Hi Bob, we will chunk wood for you here

6 Likes

I’ll get wood ready in Manitoba, probably bur oak for maximum mileage. Just let me know what plans may develop.

3 Likes

Bill, our thought was to be heading the other direction, But maybe we should rethink that. It would likely depend on what time of year and if we were chasing spring or running from frost, etc.

It seems we could pretty easily get to Missouri to someone there, Maybe Gregg’s place, etc. with wood from home or Wayne. Then maybe somewhere in Kansas or Nebraska. I have an uncle in Wichita, maybe he could round up enough wood to get us to his gold claim in Colorado. But then there is a big jump to Corvalis Oregon where DR. Larry lives. WWe would need to find some help around Boise, Idaho or something like that. From there we can get to the coast and then up to Mike and Bob in Washington.

You Canadians are a persistent bunch. Do you know others along a route from Washington (Bobmac) to Minnesota (Bill Schiller) that could help with wood.?

Looks like we could make it to Calvin’s place from Bobmac’s without having to process wood on the road. Might be close to the maximum distance.

Garry, how far are you from Calvin, and then to Bill Schiller? If you’re not too far north, it might could work. Maybe better than staying in the States with fewer contacts across those northern states.

Bill may be able to get us to Ron’s place in Bourbon, IN who would be able to get us to Wayne’s, which would get us to Mobile and home.
Or we might find some help in Wisconsin. If La Rosa’s family would have a place to store his wood, we could just burn it I guess, from Linden, then to Indiana.

2 Likes

Well, you know you would definitely find a welcoming here in Litchfield, Maine, with plenty of wood to go, warm meals, showers, beds, and anything else you need.

2 Likes

Robin, that might be a few minutes out of the way, but we’ll keep it in mind. LOL. How are things going these days?

1 Like