Volkswood 1971 bug-truck with Imbert gasifier

i just ordered a 29" saw blade and im going to mount it to my tractors axle and im going to build a table around it so it makes a huge table saw then i will put a spinning death wheel with the rottating hook so the saw will make cookies and the spining death wheel will break them up =)

1 Like

Xoie; Do you have a PTO or a auxiliary pulley on your tractor? Up here if you go on Craigslist, you can find saws that are made for cutting fire wood, with about a 30 " diam. blade and a table that tilts back and forth to cut logs into fire wood chunks. They usually mount on a three point hitch and a driven by a belt. You can cut as long of a puck as you want. They sell for about $100 to $250.
Then, I don’t have the video available right now, Johnathan in Sweden had the puck drop into a space below. On one side of the puck was a single cylinder engine crank/rod/ piston that was rotated with a motor. The piston pushed the puck up to the other side of the chamber which was a round wood split er with cross bar blades which cut the puck into four chunks.
With a system like that you don’t have to disrupt your tractor so much. You can unhook it and use it as usual. TomC

1 Like

my tractor is home made it has a hoda 5 hp motor conected to a 5 speed ATV trans and them a double underdrive it was originaly going to be a snow loader but aperently snow is alot harder to move than one thinks and even tho the tracto weighs a few hundered pounds its still no match for the plow berms there like driving into a brick wall =/ then the sys that opereated the bucket gave out so now its stuck as i cant lift the bucket to to get some usefullness out of it i will take the bucket off so it can drive then ill convert it its not like i cant put the tire back on and it will drive again i just dont have much use for the tractor the way it is

BTW i have seen the wood chunker you speek of and ys that a nice sys =)

1 Like

here is the lattest video if my “Volkswood” retrofit. my sys was in storage for a little wile as gas was affordable. now that it has gone over 4$ again, we will be using it again. the retrofit is taking a wile b/c i am addressing some of the issues i didnt like b4. like now there are no bottle necks its all 2". now instead of the gas starting on one side and going around the bed rails and coming out the other side, it now goes up both sides and exits up front. the cooler was too small and instead of just spending money and making another one, i decided to test weather it makes a difference adding more flow. if it works i will make a new one. i live in the mountains @ aprox 5757’ so power is diminished as opposed to driving @ sea level. the fastest i have ever got it to climb the mountain is about 35 MPH on the flats it goes as fast as you want. im hopping the improvements will help it go a little faster but it dosent really mater the speed limit is 35 i discovered wood gas in 2008 and i didnt have the internet at the time it took me 5 years of tril and errors with the open top units until i made my first imbert and it all finally worked (no tar) then we built this car i specifically chose a VW b/c you can take the pistons and cyls off the engine and replace them at a relatively low price if some thing should happen it started as a beelte and i did the custom body the top is removable in two years i put over 300 miles on it with the gasifier it isnt much but were i live nothing is far apart and i dont believe in driving it unless i need it =)

7 Likes

this is exsiting i got the wood gas intake manifold done i used a subaru throttle body now it kinda reminds me of the Total Recal chick b/c it has 3 intakes lol =)

5 Likes

these are my new wood gas intakes from experience i have found it works better if you pipe in under the carb (if carbureted) and run a separate throttle body ill be using the TB off a subaru i got it for free and that makes it the right part =)
here is the video link

6 Likes

Xoie,

I combined your threads into one. It’ll be easier to keep track of responses this way, for you and for the rest of us.

Nice looking ride!

5 Likes

right so we are done with the gasifier. now i just have to pack the bed filter, build the cabin controls, and those block offs for the exhaust. then i have to make some wood, i have some oak and some western red cedar and some hickory lump charcoal to pack the bottom of the reactor for the initial start up. maybe next week. =)

6 Likes

all i can say is DONE!! if one has questions just

ask =)

6 Likes

Hi Xoie, looks great. But I see that the intake air supply and control valve is in side your cab. When your the engine is not running the Imbert gasifier will build pressure and the wood gas smoke will come out. That is (poison) carbon monoxide gas. I would reroute the intake and have it go back out to the out side of the cab to be safe. The rest looks good on the location of the control valve. Also break up the charcoal into smaller pieces no bigger than a one inch in size, smaller pieces are better to make a char bed so you will make good gas at start up.
Looking forward to see your Volkwood Rat Rod going down the road.
Bob

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Bob.

I had just started to type and I see you have beat me to the draw .

Hello Xoie .

Thanks for the video very much but I must agree with Bob .

CO is some serious stuff .

3 Likes

Xoie, here is a drawing of what I’m talking about.

Hope this helps.
Bob

1 Like

when not in operation the control valve is closed so no gasses can come back and this car has no side windows i think its sufficiently ventilated and yes that coal will have to be broke up i have the control valve there b/c it offers precise tuning with no linkages to get slop =)

most of the time it dosent even have the top on it so i think its well ventalated becided i allready put 300 miles on it in this configuration with no problems =) but i get were your going and i would never leave the valve open when not in operation =)

1 Like

ok here is a redacted vertion of my running on wood video we loaded up the core with the lump charcoal and then put in some old block (bad idea it tured out to be really wet) and then topped it off with new block and lit it up took us a second to get it started b/c the litting port was cloged and of corse the moment we start to flair the camera loaded up so this is it just flairing and starting and running the full length video will come out after my “new” cammera man edits it all this is the first time the sys has run in 3 years so there will be and are wrinkls to iron out i had to reduse the quality of the video so i could up load it my connection here in the forest is poor at best =/

3 Likes

Hi Xoie, neat looking machine you have there. But l have a friendly advice. The woodgas you flared and run the engine with looks full of tar. First, the white smoky woodgas is not water vapour (althugh water can be a cause for this!) but is actualy smoke (tar). Second, the flame colour. A healthy flame colour is wery hard to describe but a true woodgaser recognizes it right away. Its cler, blue-violete-orange in colour.

Its not my intention to “salt your wisdom” as we like to say here, its just l have destroyed a engine before runing eaven cleaner gas thain this and wuldnt like anyone to repeat my mistakes.

7 Likes

look i know what collor the flame is suposed to be for “my system” and your wong i addmit the collor of the flam was a bit yellow but there was no tar in the sys and my car has never made you blue flame nor has any other WWII gasifier they all make the same flame orage to redish dispite popular belife hydrogen burns RED not BLUE thats CO (reference a episode of MR.Wizard were he burns raw hydrogen and its RED) my sys produses more H than CO it has all ways been this way and do you see any tar on my sys NO so you see and tar in my flar stack NO!! this is not a new gasifier this is a old sys with a few hundred miles this is NOT a WK gasifier they work completly different so i hate to lash out but dont tell me how to run my sys that has run this way since its inception so please keep your mouth shut about something you dont understand and i mean my car not wood gas in genneral i kinda take it as an insult to say my reactor made any tar it didnt and it never will and never has its an imbert and it had hard wood lump coal in the core with wester red cedar another wood you would not understand as it only grows on the west coast and it it self has a differnt collor flame than any other wood i have seen (noted in a you tube video of mine) and that old blod block i put in was wet like it got water dumped on it and it STLL worked TAR FREE!!! im sorry but i feel insulted buy your comment sir i put 5 years of reserch into this and know a hell alot more about it than your aveage wood gasser and you think your going to educate me!! NOT COOL!!!

1 Like

BTW in the five years of reserch i did i NEVER destroyed an engine even on a fema with tar all my engins STILL and like i said b4 do you see TAR smeared all over the car like others not one drop!!!

1 Like

watch this this car has a MANUFACTURED gasfifier relic as i call them from WWII and it dosent have ANY blue flame not even a sutained flair but is it working YES!!!

2 Likes

once again no blue at all and i think this guy knows what he is doing

1 Like