Volkswood 1971 bug-truck with Imbert gasifier

Forgive me if my reply seemed like a insult, this was not my intention. This is a forum and its purpose is for people to give you thumbs up on good things and eaven more importantly for people to help get you better on things you did wrong. I am honored if someone recognizes my flaws in any of my videos becouse l miss them my self. I have learned so much here, not just WG related. Most from honest critique.

If you noticed l mentioned the flame colour as a second reason why l think there is tar in your gas. Thats becouse l know flame colour can be deseaveing. As a first reason l presented the fact your unburned gas is smokey. This is never a good sign. If your engine runs good on it, great! Hope it stays that way.

Oh, and l too run lmberts.

Again, l apologise if l insulted you. I only wish to help. I am making woodgas mistakes for 11 years now and l dont plan on stoping anytime soon. Hope others get by this.

9 Likes

im sorry i was insulted i just get upset buy the amount of people that will com eon a nd say some thing and have acctualy no experience (not you) like one time this guy told me something he felt i was doing wrong with my model T and i asked him do you have a model T and he goes no and i never have i was like so were do you come off telling me im wrong any way im sorry i lashed out im just that kind of person i moved to the forest b/c i dont get along with other very well lol =) i guess it shows lol =)

7 Likes

No worryes :slight_smile: you wuld be surpriced how much advise l get from people that saw woodgas for the first time in their life on my sistem… but be sure you will NOT encounter this on this site. Here, when someone replyes, its always from hard learned experiances. It took me some time to learn this too…

6 Likes

some times i forget that there are actually people with brains lol they are few and far between but they are out there and yes when i take it to shows i get people telling me for instance (why dont you run some sugar pine in there) i was like your not even supposed to burn sugar pine in the fire place b/c of the sh!t it puts off the physics of these gasifiers like you said is super hard to explain to some one that dosent understand science but once you learn it for your self you get this understanding of whats going on and its almost intimate =)

2 Likes

Good morning Xoie ,

Thanks much for the video.

For the last 15 years woodgas has been my daily routine , travailing and farm work . This includes driving through most states in the US and under almost every driving and weather conditions . I have gasified about 15 vehicles but have also gasified very small lawnmower motors, generators, farm tractors and on up to a couple of the biggest pickup truck motor I know of ( 8 L V-10 ) . The best I can figure I have been lucky enough to travel the distance around Earth about 16 times .

I don’t want the above to sound like I am boasting or bragging in any way . I have had a lot of luck but many more failures and have learned that pain is a wonderful teacher !

Any comments on this DOW site are meant to help and in no way meant to criticize.

Even as I think I am a seasoned woodgas driver there are a lot of people on this site that I like to follow their comments, advise and post very carefully .

When they talk , I listen .

Kristijan is one of those .

Thanks
Wayne

18 Likes

i said sorry =) i jumped the gun =(

11 Likes

ok so i went out and took the unit open in a few spots and holy crap everything is WET like dripping water out no tar just a ton of water and b4 the filters its black water but ther is no tar b/c i can touch it with my fingers and it wipes off cleanly and it dosent stink!! i hate the smell of wood tar!! lol =) i didnt realize it untill it was too late that 1/3 of the block got like water in the bin wile it was in storage so the block was like litteraly WET! =( LMAO it still ran =)

4 Likes

i finally found the video i was looking for this video has the core built but nothing else on it and i describe the dimensions and theroie video was made 2 7 14 so when i said this car was made in 2013 i was mistaken it was made in 2014 =) this car won 1st place rat rod at the show that year =)

3 Likes

Your nobody in the car world untill you intake looks like a mile high monument of some sort lol my liberization from the naturaly asperated energy cast is almost completeit has a car and a throtle body b/c the carb is so it can run gasoline and the throtle body is for running it on wood…i think it looks awsome lol =)

10 Likes

It does look awsome. What kind of blower are u using?
Rindert

1 Like

its an AMR 500 =) they are used on minis and subarus =)

2 Likes

Thats so tall you might need guy wires to keep it from blowing over in a storm.

4 Likes

Actually a micro roots! Cool. I worked on devo of turbo for 1.9 TDI.
How much boost? Do you get back all your power compared to dino?

1 Like

Another option is the VW turbo off the 1.9 PD engine.
The waste " picket style " gate system on the older ones lets it spool up faster than a normal wastegate turbo.

You do not want a lot of boost here.
Especially on gasoline without internal modifications, but the high octane of producer gas and slow flame travel mean it will run with 3 to 5 PSI and you can recover all your lost power without the parasitic loads a super charger brings.

Cheap too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2003-2004-2005-Volkswagen-Beetle-Jetta-GTI-1-8-Turbocharger-Turbo-/273504256246

Looking at this and I am scratching my head for a moment.
That just does not look right.
Because it is not…

WATCH OUT
Aftermarket replacement, but not the same as the OEM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PD-Jetta-Golf-Beetle-1-9-TDI-BEW-04-05-06-KP39-Turbo-OEM-Borgwarner-Volkswagen/173709731260?hash=item2871e825bc:g:00UAAOSw9tlb0PjO:rk:10:pf:clock1030:
And noe more thing it has that madening electronic waste gaste possition sensor.
There is a simpler version used on the pre 2005 TDI.
You do need vacuum to operate this too requires a Vac booster or a very clever man to use the vacuum created by a gasifier/filter drop to drive the control. ( I would still use an over boost sensor of some sort maybe add an arduino and keep the electronic wastegate sensor… all this adds complexity in order to safe a few pounds of wood… )

3 Likes

its suposed to do aprox 5lbs of boost @ 2:1 overdrive =)

2 Likes

ya the super is self regulating it will only produce aprox 5lbs no regulation required i used this sys as opposed to the turbo dew to the lack of complexity

2 Likes

Hmmm. 5psi is about 1/3 atmosphere, so should increase air/fuel charge density by about 1/3. Sooooo, .7 x 1.33 = .93. Whould you feel that your engine is making 93% of the power it did on petro?

1 Like

i have no idea yet as i have not run the engine in this configuration yet

1 Like

How are you going to brace it?
Will not take much vibration to cause trouble.

2 Likes

this is how im going to send it it has a brace going down to the old fuel pump boss =)

1 Like