Wood Gasifier 4 cylinder engine

I’m looking to find a truck to convert to wood gasification. I’ve seen many recommendations of the 90s dodges w v8s or v10s… But I’m curious of other builds also.

Needs to be Wood gasifier “friendly” ( I’m new to this and the easiest engine to gasify would probably be best for me)
Efficiency is a big factor.
Reliability is a big factor
I don’t need to tow anything crazy, maybe 4k max at times.
I had a 1984 Toyota with the 22r and I enjoyed it. But I’m not sure how slow it will become after gasification.

Right now I was thinking lower displacement engines for efficiency. But if it proves itd be easier with other engines then I’ll definitely look into them. for possibilities I have:
2nd-3rd gen Ford rangers/mazdas 2.3l or v6
Toyota pickup with 22r/22re
Ford f150 with the 4.9 straight 6

These are my ideas so far. Anyone have experience gasifying these engines? How was the power? I don’t want to win races but id like to be able to keep up in traffic still. Thank you all.

6 Likes

The 4.9 straight six is a good non-V8 candidate. Good low end torque engine.

4 cylinders in a truck you’ll be sluggish. I had a 1986 Mazda B2000 with a 2L inline 4, max speed on flat ground was about 50-55 MPH but any hills slowed me back down. That’s with no weight in the bed or pulling anything. Already a low horsepower engine on gasoline, it felt like a VW Beetle on charcoal gas.

Think in terms of a good Power to Weight ratio. The 92-95 Dakota with a 318 V8 is so good because it’s a mini truck with a V8. If you want to pull a trailer I’d look for a Dakota or a lightweight Half Ton pickup with a V8 or big I6.

9 Likes