Wood supply

This is my woodsupply, crates from the pipes I get delivered. Taking apart is ok. We made a pelletbreaker for it, all done by hand. Then the cutting into small pieces 10/15 inch is time consuming. Dubbing what kind of machinery is suitable for that without using to much electricity.

And we get bigbags Merantie from windows company, already cut in small pieces. Nice for the stove in the house but the Atmos doesnot like it to much. And it depends from my client, if he can miss it or not. Last years around 15 bigbags m3.

6 Likes

I already have almost a year’s worth of dry chunks - BUT the weather was so nice I couldn’t resist the amusement :grin:
About two hours of trimming and another hour of chunking. Eq to about $200 of gasoline. Best payed work I ever had.

17 Likes

If you need to do it fast, this would be one way to do it.

9 Likes

It is what I do . not a good method . last photo what is on tarp I can use for fuel .

5 Likes

I say the same thing, what I do is not very effective.
I saw the pieces of the saw in the background and then split with an ax.
The question is, should I make a cutter like JO, or like Wayne, or is there something else, or stop using gas?

3 Likes

JO’s is great if you use uniform long small sticks, Wayne"s and Bill’s and mine ETC… are great if you have un-uniform and large wood.

5 Likes

I have a gearbox that has been sitting on an old Volvo, with which I drive a large electrical unit (7kva) from the tractor.
Do you think the bearing on the output shaft of the gearbox holds to make a woodcut like yours?

1 Like

Better to use one from a medium to heavy duty truck. over 1 ton, maybe a dump truck, bus, grain truck, etc. Junkyards on your side of the pond are different from here. I think the EU version of an old school bus rear axle might be a surplus industrial 90 degree gear motor box, being mostly 220 Volts, having lots of torque. :grin:

2 Likes

if that can give you ideas, i find this great system for making wood for gasifier.

6 Likes

It all depends on your wood supply.
If you don’t have a lot of young growth and you want to use sturdier logs, maybe making a 9 or 12 way wedge or something, for a hudraulic wood splitter, would be an option. Sawing 2" cookies (discs) with a circular sawblade and splitting a bunch of them in one stroke should be pretty fast.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t this create a lot of sawdust that would have to be sifted out? I have a little sawdust in my wood but my wood is on the larger end of Ideal. I have found what I cut up with a table saw I end up having to sift.

2 Likes

Sawing always does :smile: I just thought that maybe with big dia discs you could afford knocking the dust off of them before you put them onto the splitter.
If I wasn’t already overloaded with chunks I would be tempted to try this myself, as a complement :grin:

4 Likes

Johnathan Linevil (sorry if the name is not quite correct) showed making chunks for his trip with something similar to what you suggest. He had a saw set up that cut pucks which fell down a trough or slot . Below the saw was the crank, rod and maybe piston from a small engine that was driven with an electric motor. The crank would shove the puck through a grate similare to a large meat grinder. As for saw dust, use a chain saw or a cross cut blade for less dust. Sorry I can’t find Johan’s youtube. TomC

4 Likes

Tom, similar to this one, right?

9 Likes

http://www.vedbil.se/dagbok/bygge/22.shtml

5 Likes

JO& Jan; Yes those are what I had in mind. Thank you for taking the time to look them up. TomC

2 Likes

I found the wood-chunking videos I was looking for on vedbil.se, these are just links that will immediately directly download a file (into your downloads folder, access with control+j, click on “Show in folder”, Then double click on the “vedmaskin” or “vedtugg” files, should open a new window and play…), I am able to use Windows Media Player or VLC to watch them. If successful, there are 2. If not, nevermind!! :rofl:
http://www.vedbil.se/dagbok/bygge/films/vedtugg.wmv

http://www.vedbil.se/dagbok/bygge/films/vedmaskin.wmv

5 Likes

High On Wood

13 Likes

Wow. Enjoy. They are big before you know. And spoil them. You dont have to raise them.

6 Likes

May hope for a little better weather, both for the wood and for the hay.
It takes a lot of time to saw small pieces and then I have the chopping left.
@JO_Olsson, do you think 8mm thick gears is ok?
https://www.ikh.se/sv/kugghjul-40z-xwsv004-g40z

3 Likes