Wood supply

Thats on a small size l think… myne are probably like 30-40mm thick…

Allso be carefull, usualy they sell them non heat treated! Goal being they are still machineable and are then hardened.

6 Likes

Ok! Machine them and then redhot into oil?

1 Like

Depends. Some alloys can just be let to air cool to harden.

1 Like

Oh, you decided for a rebak.
What Kristijan said. 8mm gears may hold up for a while if perfectly lined up, but a little wider would be better.
Just remember, with a rebak you will be limited to 2" limbs. Sturdier wood can be cut if you increase the diameter of the gears, but then chunks will get longer than you like. My gears are 12 cm dia.

4 Likes

Where did you find your drives Kristijan?
Can I put doubles?

2 Likes

Found them at a local shop. They sell bearings, hydraulic stuff, pulleys, gears… Myne are 90mm dia and if you build a rebak you shuld go biger! Probably what JO has. Myne is only good for maybee 30mm thick wood. Makes nice short peaces thugh…

Doubles, probably. But in the end it will probably cost you more. I payed something like 15€ a peace. Not much more expensive thain those you found.

6 Likes

Work quite well with the wood splitter.

8 Likes

Looking good. With a box wedge attachment you can start using discs from full size logs :smile:

4 Likes

@Jan
Today I welded a small 12-way box wedge. It’s now possible to split 10-12 six inch discs in one stroke.
Makes one and a half inch cubes, or thereabout.

12 Likes

I imagine with so much rebak chunks acumulated you have made this mainly to satisfy your woodophile fantasys :smile:

8 Likes

Haha, exactly :smile:

2 Likes

Before he went to World War II my father cut paper . To make the Sears Roebuck Catalog . He would also need to change the blade . My wood chipper makes over 60 % waste , clean fill . I think you found a better way .

3 Likes

No goldfever but woodfever. In dutch goudkoorts versus houtkoorts.

4 Likes

JO: you are will have to build another vehicle to use up all these beautiful chunks. How about S a wood gas Fergy? Speaking of that, what did ypu do with your VW and gasifoer? TomC

4 Likes

I run it only a few hours a year and 5 min at the time. It doesn’t justify woodgasing it.

I sold the VW because of rust and inspection, but the gasifier sits in the garage just waiting to be lit. I’ve mounted it on a small car many times before I go to sleep.

9 Likes

I bet this one takes a lot more power then your rebak?

1 Like

I think the electric motor for the hydraulics is only one more HP.
The big difference is chainsaw/blade for cutting discs vs muscle force/vejnic for delimbing limbs :smile:

3 Likes

One more horsepower means 25 or 50% extra power?

I really like your rebak chunker. Perfect fuel for my Atmos. And perfect for the willows on our small land.

2 Likes

I think 4 vs 5 HP, if I remember correctly.
Chunks would probably work good in a downdraft boiler. More work drying and storing than logs, but doable I guess.

2 Likes

I think less. I have bought a lot of IBC’s without the plastic container. Just put the frame under the rebak and let it fill…

2 Likes