Wood supply

I have a lot of dead or down trees that is not worth putting them on the saw mill so I run them though the log splitter. One pile is for home heat and the other is gasifier wood.

Most of the wood is already dry enough to burn. It is tough to chunk when it is this dry.

can you till if you get any more power out of one kind of wood over the other.

Hello Jim,

I have never done any controlled test on different spices of wood performance but for every day use I can not tell any difference.

Once you split the wood as you mentioned you did above, how do you then chunk the portion that is to be used for the gasifier? I was under the impression that your wood chunker was good for use with long dimensional lumber only…not shorter split wood. Am I mistaken? I’ve been splitting wood as long as my splitter will take (around 24" or so) and then cutting those long split pieces with my chainsaw into chunks. It is time consuming but actually faster than chunking them with either my radial arm saw or miter saw. I do not have a chunker like you do because I don’t have access to dimensional lumber. If you can chunk these split pieces with it then maybe I will need to build one. Every time I see a picture of your piles of wood chunks I get jealous!

Hello John,

The wood that I put through the wood chunker comes from the saw mill and is a waste product. It is not dimensional wood but I will cut it down so it will fit in the chunker if needed.

If I have plenty of sawmill waste I will not cut any down or dead timber unless it is in my way. If I can’t get a few good boards out of the log it may not justify sawing on the mill. In this case I can chain saw the logs into fire wood lengths, spit and then chunk.
Some of the pics below show a hickory that was down and in my way.

HWWT

1 Like

Hey guys (n’ gals),
While not interjecting politics into any of this, I supect that interest in woodgas is about to skyrocket !!! The election might have something to do with it.

from New Zeland,carson.

1 Like

Slab wood - Not hard - More like paper!

1 Like

Carson,

Did you say New Zealand ???!!!

Wayne Baker ,

Lot of miles in that load of wood!!

Wayne K.

Hey i’m not actually in NZ, just doin’ some post election daydreaming.
carson

Below is a picture of the wood burner in the woods being loaded with wood.

The next picture is the wood burner at the wood pile where the wood will be run through the wood chunker to make wood for the wood burner.

I wood then use the wood burner for a trip to school where I wood pick up my son.

I also wood like to wish everyone a good day and smile with every mile.

HWWT (have wood will travel)

1 Like

Wayne, you put us all to shame! Now 'm thinking I barely have enough to “condition” mine.

How much wood, wood a wood chuck chunk, if a wood chuck could chunk wood?

You guys are so lucky, you have forests to harvest…Win blownen trees to harvest
big mass to work with…I have only the weeds of the fields to work with…
I press them into pellets only to make them flow though a gasifier…
It is power intinsive; but it is the only thing I have to work with…
I plan on offering a free service; I will vacuum the leaves from your yard
I will be a hero to the people that need my services and I will harvest all the fuel I need
I shale be warm this winter

1 Like

WOW that’s a lota…wood

All you guys in a rain forest; you are so spoiled that you cannot comperhind what we have to go
through in a desert.,…The grass in the fields and the sun beating on our backs is all we have to
work with…
If I want to go fishing; I have to drive fifty miles to find water.
They damed up my river so there is no fish there…

Then they fenced off the river so you can’t even get to it to try and cacth your dinner
I am pocher ;;;I will find my way in this world and teach others to survive

Load of scrap cut offs from a Amish run saw mill, 98 percent oak. I will be sizing and storing until I get my gassifier going again.
http://jamclasses.drbanjo.com/static/dimages/wood.JPG

1 Like

Split wood ready to chunk.

Wayne,
How long would you say those splits are…about 2’? Any videos exist of you chunking these split pieces? Thank you.

Hello John,

Sorry but I will have to catch a video on the next batch. I chunked every piece of the spilt wood that I had. After it is split I try to chunk it pretty quick before it starts to dry.

Yes the splits are about two foot long.

Picture below.
The split pile is gone and the chuck pile is bigger.

HWWT

3 Likes

Good to know you can chunk pieces that short. I assume the longer the pieces the easier. I need to build a chunker…bad! Thanks for sharing.

Hello John,

I promised to make you a video the next opportunity of short wood chunking.

I can make a lot more speed with the long wood but sometime I need to chunk the short.

Working with the short wood make sure you are sober.