Woodgas, lead additive

Apparently a setting somewhere is not allowing the picture captions to appear. That is why I asked as I did about the chainsaw.

I became interested in gasifiers from mr teslonian’s video, and patterned my gasifier from his with modifications. His is a man show. Also from the Farm Show Magazine.

Wayne, thanks for the laugh of the day!

after the beaver comment wayne you should make friends with your local crew put them to work ha

Mr. Wayne; Is there a video to follow of your new Beaver Chipper?? I don’t run “chips” but it sounds interesting.TomC

Good morning Mr. T

For the larger gasifiers I would recommend 40-50 pound beavers . The beaver in the video should work OK with the mini gasifiers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mr. Tessilonion is a cracked pot. He doesn’t respond tto questions that question his work. Not someone I would pattern my work on.

Mr Teslonian rubbed me the wrong way right off when he subtitled one of his video’s “Best info on youtube” or something like that. Arrogant bastard! I refused to watch any of his stuff.

that guy does build a lot of stuff I wonder what the heck is his day job

Mr Tessalonian does not have a day job lts youtubes boobtube that pays him
Look at his subscip numbers
I like to watch him for differant ideas then go other places to refference their feasibility, you guys are right he never follows through with any project

2 Likes

This is an old topic. On the question of what oil to use on old flat tappet motors. Look at the diesel rated oils they should have zinc in them still. Rotella has some diesel rated 10w30 and 10w 40 oil that has zinc.
At to the valves most tractors from the late 50s on don’t actually need the lead additive for the gas. We had several tractors if that age frame here when they switched to unleaded gas and did alot of research. The bottom line my uncles came to at the time is older early 50s and back tractors it probably wasn’t worth worrying about because the valves where already probably stretched enough to need replacing just from the age. He said run them till you loose compression then send the head to a machine shop the new seats and valves will not need lead.

2 Likes

Diesel oils have an additive package designed to deal with soot and carbon.
More so than gasoline rated oils so this is a plus for a gasifier fueled engine ( keep dirt in suspension until the filter can deal with it ).
They are also designed to deal with the heat from turbo chargers and loading of high compression engines.

But since 2007 they all have been reformulated to used less Zinc, the engines since then also have been designed to use the new oils.

Shell says their latest oils are just fine for older engines however so maybe research this on Bob the oil guy and form your own opinion.

Lead cushions the valve seats so the the valve rotors do not lap the valves into the head.
If you do not have valve rotors with old time manually adjusted valves you have nothing to really worry about.

I do like the air oiler for dry engines, some just need that to deal with NG.
Also Brad Penn oils have lots of zink in them if you want to pay that much.

1 Like