Woodgas videos from around the world

20% is about the point where mass adoption starts happening. Because it is no longer a new novel, “scary” thing. It becomes the new hip cool thing.

We have issues with how the government is going to tax and bring in incomes too. It all needs to be sorted out… There are a few things at the federal level, but quite a few states have to figure out alternative funding. A lot of countries have that issue. Net oil exporters like Canada are fighting to keep FF alive.

As the price continues to fall on the vehicles, and more vehicles are reaching the market, it becomes more attractive for a lot more people.

2 Likes

That happened in 2008, the fuel price went up to $5.80 a gal. In the USA. I was driving across the US and had to payed those prices. It didn’t last very long, but the stock market almost crash, the petro dollar is not very unstable. This could happen again and be even worse lasting longer at the gas pumps.
Bob

5 Likes

Yep. Yep. Supply and Demand is a fickled beast.
Us really old,old remember into the early 1970’s ethylene glycol engine coolant anti-freeze always at ~$1.00 =/- 25 cents a gallon.
Seemed over night it jumped to 3-4X a gallon.
We were rumors’ told one of the manufacturing chemical plants had burned down.
True. But later it became apparent the the ethylene glycol manufacturers could make more money selling into the then new bright colored polyester fabrics manufactures.
And that then primary usage never went away. You want vehicle coolants you must out bid pay more.

Areas like ours and the TVA area, BobMac that evolved to heavy use of home electric heating and cooling . . . . will electric cars usages drive up home heating and air-conditioning costs?
The big unknown.
We’re in the gamble now whether we choose to be or not.
I will remain bulk wood heating until I drop dead. My best Brother-in-law did too. He dropped dead this August right after finishing filling his woodshed.
Now this winter my sister heats with her new pellet stove.

How say Hydro-Sweden and Norway? Electric cars adopted going to destabilized your Grid energies? Solar certaily not going to save you. And I read little of Netherland and Denmark levels of wind energy from your areas.
S.U.

4 Likes

Yes, Tesla did that. Nissan Leaf is from the same age , but you don’t want to be seen in that one. With a Model3 you can play with a Porsche Panamera and show him your tail ( as long as it is under 200 km/h). Now every car manufacturer that wants to stay alive has to follow Tesla. They can’t keep up right now, but they will catch up off course.

I think so too, tax has be get paid , left or right.

Yes, some people say wind energy cost more energy then they deliver in their lifetime. Can’t believe that one. We had five here, one had to go for a container terminal. Now there come bigger , 200 m), what an energy they must generate. And where do you put that? I believe in batterypacks like Matt is building and some woodpower generator beside in for the dark months.

3 Likes

Yes, there’s a lot of talk about that right now.
Local city grids are the most critical. Stockholm and its suburbs for example, has been growing a lot and doubled its population in a couple decades. Those local grids are at high stress already as is. The power companies haven’t been able to keep up plowing more cables down.
Also, Sweden is a tall country (1,000 miles from tip to toe) but 90% of the people live in the southern 1/3 of it. More than half of the power is generated in the north, which will put stress on the long distance 400,000V power lines as well.

3 Likes

That is a lot of smoke .

2 Likes

Firewood Bus Moku-Chan Osaka Energy Museum

There are dozens of videos and I have posted these more then once .
There is more then one bus the gasifiers look different both gasifers have stove pipe on gasifier and give off smoke while driving . one video showed gasifer being fueled with wood rectangular blocks of cedar various 1 cm by 3 cm by 5 cm ? One video showed various people kids cranking blower on gasifier while it was parked . shot of glow in gasifier showed gasifier has double wall and there is opening on bottom side through both .
I have buildings with cedar shingles asphalt shingles on top . A whole lot of precisely cut graded dried wood shingles .

2 Likes

If you notice in the picture the truck is parked with tires a inch from touching the curb. More than likely they are starting this one up or it has just stopped and are refueling it. I have seen other pictures like this and they all have vehicles smoking, belching out lots of smoke.
I am sure the peoples of North Korea knows about the WK gasifer and other proven gasifers and know how to build them correctly. They lead the world in the most vehicles gasifers operating in any country in the world. This picture is to miss lead you about there gasifers. More fake news right in front of your eyes. But we are smarter then that, right. They don’t want the younger people to know it can be done correctly with no visible smoke going down the road. The oil lords spend billions of dollars every year to keep wood an charcoal and other gasification methods suppress. Just like this picture is showing.
The good news is they can’t stop people from finding out how to do it. Information is freedom even to the people of North Korea. Freedom from the oil lords of this world.
This does show there is one country that dares to challenged them with a lot of people that is not depending on the petro dollar. They do not have all the crazy EPA, clean air Act agencies and crazy law makers saying they can not do gasification paid by the oil lords. Korea knows the truth, that it is Carbon Neutral and not causing Pollution and Global warming. This might be the only good thing I see coming out of North Korea, but it is a good one. I say good for you North Korea lead the way in gasification and show the world it can be done. Just like in world war 2 when the peoples and countries did it out of necessity. Power to the DOW People in any country they live in.
Okay I am stepping down off my soap box now.
Bob

6 Likes

I thought it was open top fema gasifier running with charcoal…

1 Like

My charcoal gasifer does not smoke like a wood gasifer. In the picture that gasifer with it’s tall hopper and bottom section and clean out hatch sure looks more like a wood gasifer than charcoal. It is smoking out the lid on top of the hopper. The heavy smoke just looks like wood smoke and not charcoal smoke. But maybe this person is using corn cobs soaked in used oil because the price of wood has gone up in North Korea. Still they talk about wood nothing about making charcoal to put into the gasifer.
The other thing is charcoal loses about half of it energy compared to wood. They are driving 20 ton down to 1 ton vehicles here in the Radio Free Asia article. Small cars on charcoal yes. You don’t see us DOW members doing this, now do you. But may be they have found out some secrets no one discovered yet in the charcoal world of powering vehicles that we don’t know. DOW group we drive Big vehicles using wood smaller vehicles use charcoal or wood. Of course you can lose things in translations of languages. Or maybe they have a lot of factories that make charcoal and sale it by the tons cheaper than diesel or gasoline.
Bob

3 Likes

Not arguing fema doesnt use lid??

1 Like

And I am not saying that those gasifers are not some kind of charcoal gasifer in North Korea that we don’t know anything about. North Korea is a closed communist nation to most outsiders. I for one would love to get a good look at their gasifers inside and out. Maybe there is something new under the sun in the world of gasification that we know nothing about.
Bob

2 Likes

Air Force Reserve Lt. Col. missionary. He’d first come to Japan at the end of the war in 1946. He’d often recount the times he’d ride Japanese buses that were powered by charcoal burners.Charcoal-fired_bus_in_Japan

2 Likes

This looks to me like some South Koreans: Jieun Kim, Soo Min Jo and Roseanne Gerin, trying to bag on their neighbors. A very weak attempt. They don’t know what they’re talking about, and haven’t bothered to to do any research. I seriously doubt that any oil company would be associated with anything this stupid.
Rindert
P.S. I never thought of soaking corn cobs in oil. Seems like it would probably work.

1 Like

Looking at the line up of buses in the picture waiting for passengers or the buses waiting to go through the check point ahead, not really sure. But what I am sure of you will notice no smoking line of buses and if you looking closely at the back of the bus, by enlarging the picture I see a wood gasifer more than a charcoal gasifer. There is no need of a flaring tube for charcoal gasifer because it does not produce tar smoke.
The car picture also looks like a wood gasifer for sure especially the bag of wood chunks on the roof. The article even say it is a wood gasifer that makes charcoal and the gas comes out of the charcoal making the engine run. This is what people call a vehicle that burns on charcoal to make the engine run. They are getting it confused with a charcoal gasifer that starts with charcoal, not wood and makes the engine run on the gas it produces.
Bob

3 Likes

Could it be that the smoke is the result of driving on gasoline while starting up their wood gasifier?

2 Likes

That is possible. On my truck from the book @Chris Saenz modified it so you could easily start it up with no gasoline at all. Which does produce more smoke and it takes longer to the get it up to running temp. This is what I think would be done if fuel was really expensive and in short supply, just run it with no petro fuel at all.
Bob

3 Likes

Ernie I.
FEMA’s do use top lids.
Original design the flow resistance past the fuelwood chunks/chips controls (POORLY) the air let in around the lid edge.
Improved/modified “stratified down draft systems” have added lower air nozzles to control air-in and set a defined oxidization zone location. Then do have airtight lids to allow for running the fuel down. NOT IMBERT - rigid internal velocity dependent. Still “FEMA” big-hot-mass-wad.
Creeping upwards zone was an original FEMA downfall. Fixed.

On the North Korean truck system picture lot of What/Whys in the picture. Some more What/Whys in the text. Text writers very obviously not know wood-for-fuel gasification.
The picture:
Look at the hills back ground trees - wood for use sources.
Look at the freshly milled replacement wooden bed on this truck. Milling round logs makes wood ends cutoffs and slab wood strips. Wood-for-power supply by-product. Trucks been restored after sitting into service. The old looking rusted gasifier versus the new wooden bed.
The hood of this truck is visibly UP/Open. Truck is standing parked - cannot be traveling across this bridge.

Now to the text. Says the military is allowed to cut forestry trees for vehicle fuel wood. North Korea has a lousy climate for quick-use wood drying.

Now historical forestry green stick wood-for-power.
The Soviets in the 1940’s, 1950’s developed on-board raw wood gasifiers onto their forestry crawler tractors and narrow gauged forestry rail shunting engines. Even portable electric generators feeding electric motor harvesting chainsaws.
These all used stick and long form splits raw wood forestry harvesting scraps.

Green wood stick/splits were put in. Open top back burnt some. Then after any kind of charbed made and firing the top closed up… The top having “steaming” vents. Systems had multiple rod ramming external “char breaking” ports. Systems efficiency was not a design goal. Forestry scraps were there. Political prison labor cheap. Wanna eat tonight. Make that gasifier work and keep working. Clog-stall the engine . . . fix it fast, or someone else “motivated” will.
These systems were Tech transferred and seen in use in mainland china in the 1960’s.
Betcha’ China transferred this Tech to North Korea at some time.
In these time periods for the Soviets smoking industrial was accepted as must-needs to compete with the West. Just like our 1850-1950’s - more smoke meant more progress.

The smoking truck is cooking down in-place another batch of raw fuelwood. Not to 100% pure wood charcoal. To heavily surface charred sticks. Internal outgassing past the sticks surface hot charcoal. The most charcoal converted lower stick ends, broken down by the rods actions to make the actual gasifier char bed.

Steve Unruh

6 Likes

I see it now blew up pic, hood up pass door open ,new wood plank bed. Looks like it has lid but very leaky…

4 Likes

I watched war era film on Japanese infrastructure , Half hour , in one second of the film a bus driver opened sleek clean hood on back of bus and poured in large straw sack of charcoal and closed hood .

3 Likes