Woodgas videos from around the world

another thread Japanese farmers were growing a type of rice that had more straw so they could have more straw to make more things from straw that they could sell because you do not make enough money to live being a farmer . Now we have self driving tractors . People here go out at night to harvest your grain after their day jobs .

3 Likes

My diesel tractor has a cigarette lighter sized orifice for injecting starter fluid . Never used it .

3 Likes

An old one you may not have seen…

Joost Conijn creation car appears near end.
Pictures from Serbia:
http://freeweb.deltha.hu/zastava.in.hu/wood-gas.htm
:slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

I keep a long gun and plenty of ammo in my old work truck at all times . If any one should ask why I can tell them for rattle snakes , coyotes and just incase the old truck don’t start . :smiley:

11 Likes

I wanted to see everything before I left the planet. Now I think I have. Nice looking metal work on that tractor.

This is a video some homesteading friend posted for me. Finally getting some non-believers to show some interest. Don’t quite understand this gasifier and really don’t know what the thing on the trailer with the circular saw mounted to it. I guess he has other videos that may explain these things.

4 Likes

Hi Tom i think its a FEMA type gasifier

3 Likes

on his youtube channel is his gasifier build up in detail.
Yes as Dave says a fuel stack restricted air from above, so a Jet-less FEMA type. Made to fuel off of commercial wood pellets or wood chips made from his skillsaw powered chipper system you see on the bottom corner of his trailer.

In the past I would have criticized details of a system like this.
Not anymore.
We are going thru another phase of make-wood-energy Dis-Interest.
So anybody actually getting off-butt and doing anything is O.K. in my book.
Once convinced of the possibly they can always evolve to better.
Plus I just like lawnmower build power systems. Same-same. The engine, alternators are lay-about available. Why not use them up for their useable hours, eh?

Jumping into an interactive forum such as this is scary and intimating.
So onto YOU, TomH to make up better more straight-line system.
Regards
Steve unruh

5 Likes

I used to do roofing, tear offs, and recovering. Many, many houses had Cedar shingles under asphalt shingles. We peeled the old asphalt shingles off one house and the Cedar shingles looked so good, that the home owner wanted to just leave it like that. But sadly with all those nail holes, I had to peel the Cedar shingles off. I set the old Cedar shingles off the the side so he could use them for kindling, and a bonfire.

4 Likes

Been there, done that too Jesse. I was always surprised that more of those houses didn’t burn from embers coming out the flue. Especially since every course had a big piece of old tar paper under it.

3 Likes

Not so scary and intimidating if you don’t care if people think you are an idiot Steve. Doesn’t bother me none. Plus everyone here has gone out of their way to be kind. Not like that everywhere. Like you, it only matters to me that people are trying to do something. Everything has a learning curve.

2 Likes

Well here is you simplest small system raw fuel system, TomH.
Any paying attention back on one of Joni’s topics there was a long vertical tube gasifier.
It had a tru from the die single center air nozzle.
It was making good flare gas.
Way back when Ben Pereson put up for a Mechanics Illustrated contest his EPS (Emergnecy Power System) pellet fed tiny gasifier. Vertical pipe with a single up the center air nozzle. Made good gas once heated up to stability.
Now throw some external insulation on this vertical tube.
Trail around with the center jet outlet. And be making good gas.
Hippy-skippy past all of the external froo-fraw. Run that produced gas just up off the bottom of a filter barrel can. Again see Joni. His vehicle system.
That’s it.
The REAL details are on the Operations side of it.
A picture page laminated flip-page manual. DO this. Don’t DO this. If This - Then that.
S.U.

I posted about cedar shingles about the making of wood products and that during WW II there must have been a standard fuel made for wood gas vehicles . I was particularly thinking of England .
The best effort I have seen on drive on wood was to chunk wood and split chunks into 4 to 6 pieces Most here work well with just chunks .

1 Like

Tom , i read the comments from the people who watched that youtube video you posted and it seems there were all amazed that he was able to run engine from wood , so its not a bad thing that it brings more interest into Gasification , its how i started after all and as soon as i saw this black magic being performed in front of my eyes i wanted to have a go , my Fema experiment did not last that long once i realized it made tar and was a hard to walk away and leave running like a charcoal machine .
Still all fun though
Dave

4 Likes
8 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Let’s continue here.

Henry, they sure did.
What I was refering to when I wrote “they didn’t know what they were up to”, was the monorator effect was discovered by accident.

2 Likes

This is another Swede down south running chips. A bit too much complexity for my personal taste though.

5 Likes

Just one more.
Do we know these guys? We definately share the same source of information :smile:
I have to admit though, I get a little worried when they plan on draining tar from the rear tank.

3 Likes
5 Likes