Woodrunner chevy

I would like to see your one pedal gas control set up. I have a Dodge 440 motor home I would like to duel feed wood gas and gasoline to for hybrid driving.
Bob

4 Likes

I am interested too. I made something similar on my Mercedes but am interested how you tackled the problem

6 Likes

Thumbs up Goran. When I build a vehicle I’ll be feeding the gas beneath the carb as well. Unless someone wants to maintain stock appearance and raising the carb to fit a wood gas feed below it would cause interference with the hood I can’t see any reason not to. Pictures from either Jan or Jo’s truck, I don’t recall which, and Marcus’s truck with all the soot in the choke plates is burned into my brain.

6 Likes

It still works good, just a lot more cleaning. But remember I designed my mixer for efi, just running it carbed untill funds are available for the efi swap. Untill then brake clean is bought by my work :grin:

7 Likes

I’ve seen it run good Marcus. I lied anyway. When I do the Dodge I’ll be hybriding with propane anyway. That’s a MPFI engine but I will still be feeding both fuels through a spacer block behind the throttle body. I have thought a little about pulling the injectors and tapping fittings into the manifold to feed gas right outside the ports.

4 Likes

Interesting idea… Like an external spider injection

3 Likes

Yes, using flex copper with compression fittings for the runners, it seems like it would not be hard to do. I have always been curious about how much effect unequal runners has, especially on something like an in-line six. Seems like the outside cylinders have to be running leaner. I always figured that given most equal CFM between a single and dual carb or tri-power set ups that the only benefit was that the gas was fed through more equal length runners.

4 Likes

Hey TomH,
I have personal experiences with the differences in compromised intakes versus true equal delivery runners.
The AMC → Jeep inline 4.2/4.0 I-6’s.
Ford 4.9/300 CID I-6’s.
Spark plugs then all show burning the same. No more rich dark center cyclinders. And lean near white outers.
Measured exhaust HC’s lower.

Can say the same for the Ford 5.0/302 V-8’s any carb/ manifold combo to true, full SEFI by the 1990’s.
A true honest 20 mpg with power and torque in my 94 F150. Mostly the equal length long ram intake that true SEFI allows.
Steve unruh

5 Likes

That would be deserving of its own build thread I think Tom

2 Likes

If you look at the hood, right behind/over air cleaner you see some cut-outs or “remodeling” even with this big and deep engine bay. :thinking:

4 Likes

For Bob and Kristijan, im most take some close-ups, or maybe a video, dont know how to explain it better :slightly_smiling_face:
And to clarify, i cant hybrid with this, or more correct; i havent tried, should be possible to just use a wire to carb throttle lever, ending at dashboard to open it up a little when running on wood.
Anyways i can shift fuel on the run, just have to let foot of accelerator during shift. (And remember to open gasoline valve a little before, if shifting to “dino”)

5 Likes

In the spring Marcus. We are still in the dead of winter. What I really want to try is some sort of jerry rigged boost like MattR has experimented with.

4 Likes

Hi all, as i promised to try to explain my woodgas/gasoline shifting device, i made a little sketch, hope it’s somewhat understandable :blush:

The sideways shifting axle is a standard 6mm allen-key (i hope it’s the right name for it) the little longer type, for the hollow shafts i used some kind of fully threaded brass pipe, i think it’s for some kind of electrical installations.
The “wheel” throttle cable runs around is a used idler roller from a belt transmission, the cable is fastened with a little strip of sheet metal.
Please notice this drawing is not all correct, just to show the principle.
There is a piece of sheet metal bolted onto the roller, with a piece of a 6mm socket to couple with the allen key.
The lever in the right works cross-wise to the other two, it is controlled by a cable attached to the lever at the woodgas shut-off valve, when it is pulled it pushes the key over to control the other lever, otherwise the spring pulls it over.

Side-view.
Please feel free to ask, or correct me if i translated something wrong. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

That is a clever lever!

8 Likes

That is very cool. Really ingenuitive.

6 Likes

I forgot i had this one: a Lion charcoal gasifier it’s hiding under the roll of wire, cooler/filter is visible behind the bucket, under the extension cord, thought i could post it here.

Lion gasifiers was made by: Gustavsson & Gortz in town Örebro, not long from where i live, same town where mr Svedlund run his company AB-GASGENERATOR.
Sorry for the history lesson, i just love the old woodgas related stuff, and like to share it. :crazy_face:

13 Likes

There’s still lots to learn from the old systems, just by looking at where they had wear and tear from heat cycling etc.

6 Likes

Posting some oldies, maybe ligthing up some in this sad world situation.
Visited a friend today, took the opportunity to take a pic of his old charcoal gasifier.

This is a: Rolls K13, charcoal unit, think it’s a nice “design” to put in the front of a car.
Fun history with this one, it once belonged to the former political secretary of Olof Palme, Swedish prime minister, murdered 1986. :open_mouth:
Forgot to mention, this gasifiers as new was painted black and silver, with “speed stripes” in silver.

16 Likes

Hi all, I have some thoughts about building a charcoal grinder/crusher, im thinking about building one like others have done i’ve seen here. Type with a roller with “square teeth” around, seems simple and effective, just wondering if somebody have made a somewhat adjustable version?
Im thinking about just make a long roller with three divided spaces? What i want to accomplish is to make engine grade charcoal and somewhat bigger pieces for my blacksmithing forge, (about walnut size) and maybe a bigger grading (about twice walnut size)
Is there any advices? Youtube videos, or threads i missed here?
Thankful for input :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I think this is a great idea. A adjustable size charcoal grinder and classifier all in one. Large, medium, small, and fines.
Bob

3 Likes