Working toward food self sufficiency

A vegetable garden in poor soil just requires a long term plan. It you think about it, a tomato only needs a one foot diameter hole a couple feet deep even in that clay. Then fill that hole with some kind of amended compost. On a two foot spacing, the next year move the hole between the existing ones and within a few years you have a whole bed of excellent soil. Same with most other plants, Then after harvest, cover crop the area with something like alfalfa and radishes. The area where I had to place my garden to get any sun was like beach sand after I cut away the meadow grass. I had to beat the soil out of the roots of that grass. I think I would have preferred clay. I built raised beds and lasagna layered them with leaf mulch and sand mixed with what loam I dug out of the woods. That was a whole different set of problems when that stuff got sun on it. Unbelievable the number of different flora waiting for some UV. One caveat. Many reliable gardening sites on the web are warning about contaminated purchasedcompost .

11 Likes

Contamination is not just a commercial compost problem. Sadly, we can no longer find manure that is free of herbicides. Animals concentrate these poisons that are widely used on many fields/crops. BTW, an excellent source of nitrogen is urine. Don’t use urine if the donor is on medications.

8 Likes

good way to amend for each plant, instead of a large area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvI1-Yxb5gI

7 Likes

I would boil any meat and bones prior to dumping them in the hole. just to kill off potential pathogenic bacteria like e. coli. I think it is like 2ish hours in a instapot type pressure cooker or 12 hours boiling to get the bones soft enough for grinding into bone meal anyway.

5 Likes

This is kind of a weird question for this group. There is always an off chance someone might have run into it. But has anyone seen anything on whether the aeroponic systems (they spray the solution as a mist on the plant) or traditional hydroponics with nets and an aerator/circulation pump are better for vegetative cloning. I am looking for woody plants and I found out some species in this family of plants can be cloned hydroponically, but the method the guy described said it was really important to keep things sterile and said he kept adding chlorine but that kills the mycorrhyzal fungus I want to grow as well.

3 Likes

in case anyone cares… here is a decent overview of hydroponics and aeroponics (both spray mist and ultrasonic mist). It looks like ultrasonic is better for misting then an actual sprayer especially for root growth because there is more oxygen available to the plant root with the finer mist.

Apparently the lower the ultrasonic frequency the better for aeroponics.
https://www.cabidigitallibrary.org/doi/pdf/10.5555/20203184457

According to this post which is -great- read for semi/passive hydroponics like Kratky or drip. To treat rotted parts of the plant, you cut them off, then soak the rest of the plant for a half hour in 1 tablespoon of alum per gallon of water. My guess it it works for any plant that has like root rot. and since it is a flocculent it will create particulate matter in the water that might plug up filters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SemiHydro/comments/yleefp/for_all_the_people_having_trouble_with/

The backstory is some guy on youtube in a video was explaining issues with rooting and aeroponics. He was saying you can use hydrogen peroxide, or Drops of Balance (which i think is his company) to help control the bacteria. It was a blue solution so I was trying to make sure it wasn’t copper sulfate, which I think it is primarily alum, gypsum and epsom salt, but it also has some copper in it.

2 Likes

Do any of you have tiles like this in the greenhouse, wondering how they withstand the sun and how long they last.

https://www.amazon.se/Kaiser-Plastic-starka-växthuspaneler-storlekar/dp/B0876SM3DP/ref=mp_s_a_1_55?crid=1TAXL6GOKR3SE&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.W6eCLC-mbyPo9UO3nr8MnOsab5-MXet6gK1d0Fx66DO2tDYeUhEGG6_fvskSw6VtxHzZIyyUzbdChrox3V4zHYqAIL9QH_nXd6igZlmPEd8kzq1CK88rD15shNcXYaWsSdQ1LnkqG2SoySFMksQvHU5Fc3YZpV-3L0ozZbrwNLUuNWqZo9OiOzCPsLkTz89oO3T5p0jrSvfXCIKZtrGLpw.whFei13AOvXaMf94KopihD5tLJxYubsLl3OPOV4Z_xA&dib_tag=se&keywords=växthus&qid=1711026590&sprefix=väx%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-55

4 Likes

A little out of my budget but many greenhouse kits are produced with them and they were long used for solar heat applications so they are designed to deal with UV. I also think they are supposed to be better than glass for grow applications.

5 Likes

polycarbonate panels have a lifespan of 10-20 years. I didn’t look that hard but I couldn’t tell whether they added additional UV coating to them, but I don’t think they did.

Here is some maintenance tips.

Maintenance Tips for Polycarbonate Sheets

• Address scratches and minor damages. The best way to remove scratches from your polycarbonate sheet is by buffing them with a soft cloth and Novus or Plexus plastic polish.
  • Manage condensation and algae growth. Condensation is caused by temperature differences inside and outside the greenhouse which can affect the growth of your plants. You can deal with this by properly ventilating the greenhouse with ventilation pans.
  • Ensure proper UV protection. Polycarbonate sheets are UV-resistant, but they can be enhanced with UV-resistant coating to extend the lifespan of your polycarbonate sheets and clean regularly to get rid of debris or dirt that can impede the effectiveness of UV protection.

As an aside, I think Acrylic and Polycarbonate can both be remelted and reformed. And polycarbonate when it is industrially recycled is chemical treated back to it’s monomer. Sometimes ABS is added to the polycarbonate, but I don’t think they do that with greenhouse panels.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m thinking of buying these for the ceiling and using windows I have for walls, think these are better than plastic sheeting.

3 Likes

Definitely the best choice for glazing Jan. I have this tarp on my little greenhouse roof. Going on 5 years this spring and still in decent shape. Not brittle yet. Mine is 12X24 For 72 dollars US.

https://a1tarps.com/tarps/poly-tarps/clear-uv-poly-tarps-14-mil/?page=5

4 Likes

I think they will last for 20 years if you clean them from the inside and outside semi- or just annually. The ones used for the thermal solar I have seen last for about 30 years on a neighbors house. They finally replace it a few years ago. It is a lot easier then cutting up old windows and making a frame for them, and probably a lot more efficient unless you make them double paned which then you blow argon into them and seal them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Polycarbonate panels are very common material for greenhouses. Here is one site with most comprehensive descriptions

There are also retailers selling just panels and fittings for mounting. They provide cutting on demand, so you can choose the size as you wish.

6 Likes

Can anyone tell me whether this method is fake or not?

And about 8m in he does something similar with a kiwi, but he coats it with egg. And if it works, then does anyone know the purpose of the egg?

He also uses the tomato technique on an apple…

3 Likes

I’ve tried putting sliced tomato in dirt and also strawberries because I’m gullible and believe everything I’ve seen on youtube and because it’s like television and my mother told me when I was a kid that they are not allowed to lie on television and so then it must be true. cross my heart, I cannot tell a lie either and never a sprout or hint of one did I see. I believe he got the pot on the right from the same place Jack got the magic beans for the bean stalk. :-1: :-1: :-1:

6 Likes

Apples have to be chilled(simulating winter) for them to even think about germinating. Also it’s usually covered in leaves out in nature and the apple rots away before winter.

3 Likes

Generally true, but. . .
We have an old apple tree beside our driveway, which often has fruit on it until mid-winter. They shrivel some, but when they finally fall, the quail and deer consider them a delicacy. We, in turn, see them as food storage on the hoof, or claw.

2 Likes

The only way it works is if the fruit cannibalizes itself but he is only leaving the cells from what makes up the cores. If it was growing from seed, it would have like 20 shoots coming out of it. and they would be a lot smaller. But you can propagate all those plants from cuttings and fruit does have quite a bit of energy in it…

The actual reason why I was interested in it was more because of the egg. :slight_smile:

I’m surprised those didn’t grow something. :slight_smile: I’m not surprised to see fake anything on the internet, I’ve been seeing fake stuff for the last 30 years. LOL

2 Likes

Apparently they are using aeroponics for commercial potato production now. I don’t think this one is fake. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jan, l got the same problem as you. I got 2 greenhouses to cover but with the hail we have been having recently l dont know what to do. Foil is cheap and will last up to 10 years but insulates poorly. Polycarbonate is expensive but insulative, yet prone to hail damage. I acumulated a lot of windows so l was thinking the same as you. Glass on the side and something else on top.

Cody, we once had an appletree that defied the rules. Every late fall the ground was literaly covered with a tarp of seedlings. It was some bitter ungrafted apple so we didnt pick the fruit, rotted on the ground.
Or maybee was it the previous years seeds sprouting?

How many guys do aqua/hydroponics here? Im curious to what kind of circumstances have to be met to make this a good option. I know for me it isnt but for sure it must be for some

4 Likes