2012 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | May 18-20

Hey y’all, I will not be there at the meet up event, but hope to be working on my project some over the weekend while you guys are there having the time of your life.
Could all of you that show up with dual fuel capable vehicles consider taking a road trip to a nearby drag strip ? There’s two places to go within a 50 mile raduis.

The Woodgas vs Pumpgas Showdown !

We know that gassers are not really race car drivers (well, Mr.Keith is…) but think of the different combinations of gassifier designs (some may even be identical) and vehicle weights and gear ratios and other variations all that will be at the meet and consider this an opportunity to do some benchmarking of your build against its self on pump gas.

You could have a competition for “personal best against petrol” where the build with the highest performance against gasoline wins bragging rights for a year.
This way, the race is not against each other, but rather your gassifier against the petrol from the pump.

To keep things scientific, you will need to find someplace to weigh your ride with you in it. With a timed run over distance like 1/8th or 1/4 mile, you can use the weight to calculate an average horsepower.
Just try to drive it the same way on woodgas and on gasoline if possible … like floor it and let the tranny shift when it wants to for uniformity (no power braking, neutral drops, popping the clutch or other stuff I broke my Daddys car doing). If you all save your time slips and share the results, we could all learn something from these benchmark runs.

Additional information like transmission type , 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear ratios, rear end ratio, tire size, gassifier system specs and any engine mods could be collected and compiled when you get back home to build some kind of database that could show areas to explore for better performance on woodgas…

If interested, give the tracks a call and see if they are open for a “run what you brung” or “street car” race day during the meet up.

Osceola Dragway (~40 miles north)
1/4 Mile Ruth Chizum
56328 Ash Road
Osceola, IN 46561 Track: 574-674-8400

Bunker Bill Dragstrip (~50 miles away)
1/8 Mile NHRA Div. 3
Bunker Hill, Ind (765) 689-8248

No Limit Raceway (formerly U.S. 41 Dragway) (~90 miles away)
1/4 Mile
2695 W 50 S
Morocco, IN 47963 Ken Reed 219-808-9474
[email protected]
Track/Office: 219-285-2200

P.S. I can make the calls if you like.
The tracks I have been to require the use of a helment (like a motorcycle helment) so it would be good to bring one if you have one.

Chris,
Hello, James here. I am going to go Indianapolis in an 92 F-600 with a 17th foot flatbed to pick up my truck for a gasifer. The truck is a 96 Dodge Ram, 4-wheel drive, club cab, with 8-Liter V-10. From their I aim to go to the Woodgas Meetup 2012. Due to getting the truck, I probably will not arrive their until Friday afternoon, and stay until Saturday. Hope to meet everyone then!

I can only make it on Saturday due to work. What time should I plan on showing up? Thinking 9 or 10 AM? Where do I go once I get to the fair grounds? Sorry if these questions are dumb…I am just the type of person who likes to have a plan! Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I made a couple of calls…Looks both of these drag strips have an open Test and Tune session on Friday nights in case anyone wants to compare their performance woodgas to pumpgas.
Racers pay $20 admission, spectators are around $10.

Osceola dragway is open on Friday May 18th starting at 4PM for Test and Tune, Streetbike S/O Cruise Night. http://www.osceoladragway.com/trackinfo.htm

Bunker Hill Raceway has test and tune on Firdays as well. Gates open at 5;30, open test, tune, fun and grudge racing from 6 until 10 pm. http://www.bunkerhillrace.com/dragindex/drgindx.html
Private track rentals available. Call 765.689.8248 for more info.

Hi John and Group; This is a good question,coming into Argos from the west on highway 10 the fairgrounds main entrance is on the right we have a portable sign that we’ll have out by the road, follow the entrance till you have to turn and go left we have the building at the end of the road on the right. Inside the buildlng we will have a table set up to sign in and get a name tag. The fair grounds is pretty small and I think we are going to be the only ones there.
We dont have any schedule yet not sure if we are going to have one.If any one has any ideas let me know? Thanks , Ron L.

Hello Ron L.
Thanks again for putting this event together, I know you have put a lot of time and effort into it and we appreciate it.

If I could buy or borrow some wood from you when I get there I would leave here with enough for a half trip.

Looks like I will be putting about 1500 miles on the truck. This should be a good shake down cruse for it.

Hi Wayne; I am glad you can come to the event, Ill be glad to trade you, hopefully in the near future I’ll be driving down your way and need some chunks to get home on. I have 14 boxes of really dry wood and another 3-4 fairly dry chunks i hope it is enough for everyone. Each box holds about 20 five gallon buckets,how many will you need?I will set enough aside for you. I think Chris will probably be travelling about half the distance you are. His truck probably will use a little more per mile being a heavier vehicle. Ron L.

Hi Ron,

If I remember right a 5 gallon bucket holds 10+ pounds. So you have almost 3000 lbs of wood there, which should be plenty!

If you can set aside about 450 lbs that will do me fine with 50 lbs to spare. Wayne will have to do the calculations on his but I am guessing 650 pounds? Sound right Wayne?

And of course you are more than welcome to load up on wood whenever you come through my way. By then I should have plenty to share.

What time frame do y’all expect to start arriving at the fairgrounds? Being from Indiana my drive is shorter than most, just wanting to get an idea for trip timing.

Hello Ron and thanks for the offer,

I will be glad to fuel you up if you come down my way.

I think about six hundred pounds should get us home.

Chris is bringing his banjo!

We are working hard to finish our gasifier setup to make the Indiana meet up in just a few days! If we can make it, we will pay our way! Talk soon guys!!!

Hi ChrisMO!!
Long time no hear.
You go man even if not completed on DINO fuel. Heck, I sponsor you in. I KNOW you will take a bunch of stills pictures.

This way you would see and benefit from others facing the same basic challenges.
You gonna need all the tricks in the book to stuff any more under the dog house of a full sized van wityh a SOHC V-8 in it! Makes my hands hurt and bleed from the memory of all of those years working on contractors vans, cube vans and mini-motor homes.

Regards
Steve Unruh

wow! it’s starting to look like wife and i may actually be coming.
this is the only time i’ve wanted to leave the state in over 15 years.
looking forward to meeting all of you!

I picked up the keys and talked to the caretaker for the campogrounds last night, they dont allow open campfires on the ground but it is ok to have thoes patio fire places we have one we"ll bring, they are kind of large to haul but if any one else has one they will be nice in the evening. I have a barrel of charred wood and will bring some wood for the campfire.There is no charge for tent camping without electric and there are plenty of picnic tables
I am planning to be at the campgrounds between 8 and 9 Friday morn to open things up.If any one needs to contact me for any thing before then you can call me at 574-646-2707 home or 574780-5039 cell or e-mail lempal AT rocketmail DOT com.
Have a safe trip and ill see you there. Keep on burning wood!! Ron L

I know we look like the Beverly hillbillies but we will enjoy seeing the USA THE CHEAP WAY.

Seeya in Argos.

Can you go ahead and put me on the list? I’m still not positive that I can come, but I am going to try.

Thanks,
Kyle

I’ve got 60, band saws in the trunk. each one will make 9 fins 16" long = 540 “fins” to give away or trade. Be there Sat AM. I’m very excited!

cz

How many people camping?

I was wondering how many people were planning to camp at the fairgrounds? Are there also motels nearby?

Just wanted to comment I heard from Wayne earlier today (Wednesday) and they were somewhere around Nashville at the time and site seeing … I plan to head out Friday morning and hopefully make it by early afternoon … Mike L
I hope Chris Seymour can make it so he can run his hand through another flare … :o) …