2015 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | May 29-31

Hay!! What did you do different. When I saw you flare it you had to hold a piece of paper up and light the paper to show that there was a flame. This time it is very obvious. All in all a very nice build and Terry missed by not coming. TomC

Hey Tom, I think that the camera sees light differently than eyes do. I wondered the same thing

1 Like

There was almost too much to look at this year … I really liked Jeff Davis’ custom rig with the parasol. Thanks to Gary Gilmore for waking our little world up to the charcoal thing … That works sweet with the small engines … There was even a well working fema there on the pellets … My trailer is almost ready again but I think I will use a shorter and lighter piece of Jeff’s tubing when I hook it back up … I just hate cutting things shorter … No railroad tracks here to wreck it again but it has a slip joint on that rear strut just in case … I’ll take and post pictures when I can allot time … Mike

2 Likes

Motor fuel for all . Thanks Ron

8 Likes

Wayne, I still had to bring 6 boxes home. :frowning: maybe next year there will be enough wood gas trucks I wont have to bring any home. :grin:

1 Like

so out of the people that drove to argos on wood what did you get for milage wood/gasoline just curious on my best wood elm I only get 35 miles to a hopper I am running a 4x4 but at that rate I would half to carry a tractor trailer load. maybe a little much but im sure a lot more than ide like

Well Paul, I drove up, 813 miles, on 25 bags of wood pulling 1000# of trailer. That’s about 800#, but I also used 13 gal of gasoline. Not sure how one would like to figure that, but in the old terms, it is about 61-62mpg of gas.

5 Likes

Both chunkers were a big hit.

Don’s little green gem.

Ring of Fire

Ring ON Fire

7 Likes

HI paul M , what is the pounds per mile on your big truck at what speed may i ask,THANKS

Practicing for the circus?

3 Likes

Good morning Paul.

I was doing a lot of experimenting on the trip to Argos . It ended up being just over 1300 miles pulling a small trailer with wood and a lot of camping gear ect. I had planed on using a tank of gasoline going up and one coming back.

I was very satisfied with the performance and speed of the truck . Most of the route was on the big roads and needed to drive speeds 60-70 mph to stay with the flow of traffic.

Because of the long open road I decided to experiment running gasoline and blend in wood to stretch the mileage . I was very conservative on the temps I allowed the gasifier to reach . (450- 500F on the rails , measured about 18 inches from the entrance of the drop box )

The wood was a mixture of oak and pine and the hopper will hold 60-75 pound and would run 125 -140 miles per fill in hybrid mode .

The truck is a 4x4 and about a ton heaver than the Dakotas but the problem on the high speed open road is the wind drag. ( high and wide truck , kinda like having a parashoot tied on the rear of a dakota as far as wind drag )

I think if this truck was driven 100% gasoline it would get 12-15 miles per gallon . Adding wood I was able to average 30 miles per gallon.

I will be taking a look at my fire tube and try to get an idea of where I should draw the line as far as max temp . If I decide I can go another 100 degrees hotter it will increase my mileage a lot.

If not for camping gear and supplies we could have made the trip with just the wood in the truck.

Again , very satisfied with speed and performance :relaxed: Disappointed in the gasoline used :weary: Next year I will be driving a Dakota . :blush:

4 Likes

Which means about 2 miles per pound. Given 16 pounds/gallon, that’s about 30 mpg equivalent wood mileage.

So running hybrid you used 50% gasoline and 50% wood. Not bad, but makes me rethink the whole hybrid thing.

I got nearly the same mileage on my heavily loaded Dakota, less than a mile per pound, meaning about 15-16 miles per gallon. Of course I was running a bit slower and the gasifier was working a lot harder.

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t mention all the names and trucks , hard to walk ,talk and think at the same time . :disappointed_relieved:

I think Marvin gets the award for being able to pass the most gas :relaxed:

5 Likes

HI wood gas WAYNE, NICE VIDIO,and the milege update, that there marvins truck must have a big pusher fan, Is that the wood gas’ers AA torch night light.THANKS

HI wayne,did you mean the wood in back of truck ,or wood in trailer also.I am not for sure what kind of weight you can stack in back of truck with gasifier in the bed.THANKS

Ring of Fire Video

1 Like

Almost home .

Here is another picture of Marvins flare for sure the prize winner!!

3 Likes

Marvin cheated, he was using a leaf blower or something. :stuck_out_tongue:
Here’s the line-up

2 Likes

Bill’s chunker

6 Likes