2018 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | June 1-3

Hello Keon .

Excited about meeting you !

I will be bringing tent, cot , sleeping bag , pillow and towels for you .

If you can think of anything more you need let me know .

5 Likes

Cant wait too meet koen in person allso, along with Wayne Keith and the wood gas happy campers.Hope too meet bob mac in person even if he drives on dino.

4 Likes

Hi Wayne,

Eager to meat you and all the others.
Going to be one of the more memorable things done so farā€¦

I am only wondering if 3 dayā€™s are enough for me to learn so much from you guyā€™s and not only about gasification, but how lifeā€™s getting done over thereā€¦

Now to figure out how to get a V10 Dakota fit in my luggageā€¦

7 Likes

Hey Koen .

Bring very BIG suite case :grinning:

9 Likes

Kevin,
Looking forward to seeing you in person. This is a very informal ā€œfamily reunion styleā€ event. There are many options for ā€œcampingā€ at the fairgrounds, even inside the building we use. The cost for the electric hookup is for RVā€™s or campers that could use a significant amount of power in 3-4 days. You can charge your cell-phone without paying the fee! :wink:
Donations are like Don Mannes said. Just get here and be part of the meet-up!

4 Likes

Thanks Mike Reynolds i am still planning on geting there on petro this year. I hope too make it this year THANKS.

3 Likes

It will be great getting to meet you Kevin :grinning:

3 Likes

Looking forward to meeting you Kevin.
Bob

2 Likes

Kevin, I hope you can make it, would love to meet you in person.

2 Likes

More folks signed up!! :grin:

4 Likes

Paul ā€œDr. TLUDā€ Anderson also just signed up this AM! :smiley:

3 Likes

Where can i get this beauty ?
Never mind the size of the suitcaseā€¦

Does it fit in a 20ā€™ container ?
What is the average age/price of such pieces of art ?

1 Like

Whew, good for Luke. Sorry he will miss the meet-up. My dad got his first hive back around 1973-4. I ended up earning my bee keeping merit badge for Boy Scouts. We figured out why the owner sold the hive. That queen was NASTY. I was messing around with my motorcycle some 75 yds away and she sent a swarm after me. I ended up running 4 houses down the street. They came down the street after me again. I ran behind another garage - they pursued me again. I ended up running between the houses down to the lake. They pursued. Out onto a dock I went - here they came. I ended up jumping into the lake and tried hiding under the dock - they found me. Now I swam under water to the next dock - first under a boat and then hiding under the dock. Peering out I could see the bees flying about the first dock and itā€™s moored boat. At this point I was easily 200 yards from the hive. The swarm scattered after several minutes. I made sure I didnā€™t mess around with my motorcycle as much again out in front of our garage. I still have an active hive at the shop. I donā€™t manage them though. I need to get them a new brood box as the one they have is some 40 years old and falling apart. I have suppers. Just need the bottom box. I left some honey for them back in February to help them through the winter if they needed it.

1 Like

Public speaking can be terrifying. One of the better English classes I had in high school was simply called ā€œSpeechā€. We had to give speechā€™s - some 32 over the semester if I recall correctly. Most were impromptu - your name was called - the topic told to you - and you had 15 seconds to walk to the front of the class and speak of the topic for 2 minutes. Gosh - 2 minutes can seem like an eternity. Being a shy, hearing disabled kid did not help me at all. He needs to realize that people are there to hear what he has to say - not criticize him. Most everyone is nervous in front of others and accept folks who at least try. Iā€™m sure he will do fine.

1 Like

Its probably easier for you to import a US market vehicle than it is for us here to import an interesting European or Asian vehicle due to strangling regulations. A truck as nice as the one in Wayneā€™s photos brings whatever the market will bear. Negotiating skills are important. You would have to ask Wayne!!

2 Likes

Hello Koen.

The truck is not mine but I am in possession of it and expect to have it wearing a gasifier by mid summer . I donā€™t know what it cost but it still smells new inside with only 66K miles . It is a 96 model and for itā€™s age I have never seen a cleaner vehicle except for show cars and trucks.

6 Likes

Hi Wayne,

i have the very big suitcaseā€¦ :grin:

2 Likes

Luke split his hive before our open house and made them mad. They were stinging us all. Yesterday he made splits with new queen cells. I think he got 10 good ones out of one hive. They have calmed down. He fed that hive some kind of secret potion last february and it just produces brood like crazy since then. Itā€™s an extremely strong hive. I hope he doesnā€™t mess up changing queensā€¦

As for speaking, he does really well. He teaches a lot when we have university students here. He usually teaches some of the water purification, sometimes bee keeping, though the universities are shying away from those classes because of liabilities of getting stung.

Also, to keep the number of posts down, Iā€™ll stick this in here.

We made the paper today. Jakob and his tractor made the front page. The rest of us are on page 5A. Hereā€™s a link to it. Maybe you can find the stuff on page 5A (I couldnā€™t).

And here is a copy of what I could copy and paste out of the newspaper website in case you canā€™t get to it without a subscription.:

ADAPTech celebrates appropriate technology in Randolph County

jakob front page tractor 2018

Jakob North stands beside his tractor which uses gasified charcoal and water for fuel.

Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:10 am | Updated: 10:22 am, Wed May 23, 2018.
By Sarah Corson

Hidden among the hills and hollers of Randolph County are some marvels that many people would travel hundreds of miles to see. Yet some of us who live here have never visited many of the amazing places within a few miles from our homes.
One of these places is the North family homestead. Friday and Saturday, May 11 and 12, they invited everyone to an open house of the organization they founded, ADAPTech, short for Advancing Development with Applied Practical Technology. They have built dozens of technology models aimed at meeting basic human needsā€”water, food, shelter, income, health, sanitation, energy, and most of all, hope, in todayā€™s world. The North family also incorporates these technology models they use in teaching into their daily life.
Yes, they produce fresh vegetables in abundance. Many of us have already discovered their neat produce stand. But that is just the beginning. The parents, Billy and Erika North, have been associated with SIFAT for 30 years since their teenage years. They are graduates of SIFAT, former staff members, and continue to have a close relationship with SIFAT as trainers. A model of appropriate technology for daily life is a reality right here among us.
The Northsā€™ home and ten-acre property have become a classroom for learning technologies that are sustainable and ecologically sound. Led by their Christian faith, their four children are as motivated and involved as the parents to change the world for the poor and to teach models of providing our daily needs that protect the earth from degradation for future generations. Each of the children has a different technology they have studied in depth and then built.
Jesse, just turned 9 years old, is already a real expert in pumping water with falling water. He has built different models of a ram pump, one of which is now pumping water from a stream at the bottom of a hill up to the other projects that need water in the yard. No electricity or gasoline is involved. It is powered by falling water.
Naomi, age 12, uses appropriate technology in producing food. She designed a beautiful garden that fills their front yard with plants and incorporates many appropriate technologies such as composting and vermiculture-raising earthwormsā€”to make the very best organic fertilizers. The beautiful border around the garden is a rock wall, with rocks held in place between cattle fence panels. A sidewalk, made of earthen cement, meanders through the garden up to a bench under the shade of a plum tree, a favorite spot for reading.
Jakob, age 14, is captivated with how burning charcoal mixed with water produces a gas that can run an engine. After attending several seminars and much study, he has turned a 70-year-old tractor into a machine that works by burning charcoal in a gasifier mounted on the tractor. The family also has a pickup truck that runs on wood gas by building a wood fire in a heater mounted in the back of the truck.

Like I said, there is more in the paper but I canā€™t seem to find it in the online versionā€¦Also, Itā€™s always amazing how often news people get stuff wrong. I have been in the paper dozens of times and have never seen them get it all right. Makes you think about the news you consumeā€¦

8 Likes

one more weekā€¦ 7 nights sleepā€¦

4 Likes

7 days of lightups until we start getting reports from Argos I hope. Keep your cameras well charged.

2 Likes