Blowers

The rotary-lobe compressor was invented by two brothers, Philander Higley Roots and Frances Marion Roots, who patented their design in 1860. Just wondering if you could reproduce this device with out infringing on a patent . It is not Mickey Mouse

1 Like

Hi Steve,
I prefer a brushed motor, for a fan. CIMs would be the toughest, most adaptable to a metal fan housing. CIMs also work well with pwm. I think they are $20 for a size that would work on a fan.
I use my pwm motor controller to charge my lithium ion batteries. An easy way to buck 12v down to whatever voltage I am needing.

3 Likes

Henry,
I bet we could print a cute lil Roots blower. Make it out of PLA and see how long it lasts.
The funny thing would be the sound it would makeā€¦like a miniature two stroke Detroit Diesel.

4 Likes

Xoie Ichigo uses a micro roots. I think you could probably reproduce without infringing. Just keep a copy of the 1860 patent around. If anyone says anything just tell them there IS a patent on that and its expired. Worked for me with an angle cutting jig I made. The guy thought he was going to sell me a license I think.
Rindert

1 Like

Bounce house blowers have plenty of power.
Used ones come up often. Almost always plastic, so canā€™t handle real hot air:
Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bounce-House-Inflatable-Fan-Blower-Water-Slide-Motor-Air-Pump-Model-W-2L-E230679/383757104374

2 Likes

I am linking to the picture in this post as I think testing this way for gasifier usage this test is invalid.
Blowers need flow to have the speed flung made-dense air-slug to be their working medium.
Static negative pressure testing is a video sales stunt. Invalid as no actual work is accomplished.

We need to pull a volume flow against a flow through resistance.

Observe here:

By the tests done the Harbor Freight Bauer shop vac performed the best overall
The problem for us is that none of these tests duplicate gasifier use conditions.

WayneK and others using his ganged up bilge blowers by accepted testing standards should not work.
Yet it obviously does for him and many others now.

We need testing set up pulling through charcoal beds. The flow restriction of air nozzles and a down stream plumbing, and/or cyclone.

The American Kestrel falcon by winged bird standards should not be able to hover in place, even move backwards a bit.
But they do. I see them do this all of the time.
Often in real life it ainā€™t the revolutionary killer idea or App; but just a change in perspective.
S.U.

5 Likes

Jim Mason used to offer free pitot tube manometers.

1 Like