Bug Reports & New Features

Tom C, you said “Shoot. I lost one of my long dissertations. Maybe it is telling me something” Maybe anyone planning ‘long dissertations’ should consider using Notepad or other word programs to rough out your post during this time when we are having site difficulties. Then you can just copy and paste into your post and if it does not take you can try it later. My 2 cents.

Thanks Don. Might have to do that. I am carrying one “copy” around in my "right click’ thingy and I have “pasted” it in a couple of threads several times and get the same results. I’m trying to tell Bill Schiller that a pin hole usually has slag in it. It won’t cover with more passes so use a hammer and center punch and awl and chip all of the slag out.TomC

Try and break it again folks… See what works. We think we’ve got most of it. Thanks!

A one liner with 30+ puctuations interjected just 403 failed.
S.U.

Normal usage please… that’s a bit excessive steve. :slight_smile:

Thanks Chris for fixing me up. You suggested an updated browser. What do you recommend? I currently have IE 11 update 11.0.15 Set to automatically give me new versions.

IE 11 should be fine. For some reason your browser was not closing the request headers (very suspicious behavior) and very old browsers will do that. Yours is plenty new enough. So, just keep on keeping on. Let me know if there’s any more trouble. Getting a new IP will fix it most of the time, or using a proxy.

Everybody, heads up…

The site is mostly fixed. However there’s still some fine tuning to do. If you get a post that trips the site “Forbidden” error, please do the following:

1. Hit the back button. Copy the exact text you used, and make a note of date/time/timezone when you got the error (use a computer clock); email it to me, at [email protected]

2. If it needs to be posted right away, try to adjust the text slightly until it goes through. Less punctuation, shorter posts seem to work more often than not.

I’ll collect all the errors I hear about, and we’ll fix a batch of them next week.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris, Disk didn’t show up today … Oh well … Too icy and wet to move any vehicles or trailers … I have lost several websites over the years. The gummit tries to make us use it for everything yet they don’t see that the system is stable. There are outfits buying up dialups and disposing of web storage as they go along just like the gummit started buying up all hollow point stuff after that conn thing … It’s always update to this and update to that but it’s just a way to get more fingers in the till … Be careful on the updates fellas … Old Will sent me some linux stuff but I can’t run my necessary DOS stuff on it … Give me 10 grand $ to update … My work computer has windows 98 on it … I just burn a CD each day and transfer the data to a flash disk on my XP machine so I can use it in the field … My field computer has NO drivers installed for the radio in it so can’t get screwed up … YES, I KNOW I am not connected to a wireless network … That has messed up 2 of my machines so I unplugged the radios and re-formatted them … GOOD LUCK fixing all the bugs … Regards, Mike

Chris I just made a comment to Bryan it double post it. only pushed the button once.

Can’t even post on myown blog to update. I know you are workin hard to fix this… 7:24 pm pacific time

I got a “no permission bla bla bla 1755” The time here is 12;24 AM Sunday morning.

I really think this machine doesn’t like me talking about welding.

Chris,

Everthing is working for me this morning. I think the server issues were on my end. I reset my WiFi and it is working fine…Thanks, Bryan

Still forbidden to comment on my blog. “access denied” on premium member info. Is this a west coast thing? I am using “Firefox” browser as recommended by this site. Should I be using a different browser? Help Gordon

Hi back ChrisKY
Well . . . . “normal” for many of us IS at least 30 punctuation marks per post!
MikeL’s above has 50 punctuation. 40+ capitalization’s, numerals ans special characters.

Yuk all you want guys about MikeL and I being “special characters”.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Post sending edit of above was allowed.
Adding my exited about Christmas test line was NOT allowed. S.U.

No access / no upload monday 4:17AM

Hi folks,

Thanks for the bug reports. I really need a timestamp and/or the contents of the failed post (email me) in order to diagnose the problem. Appreciate the ones I’ve gotten. I’m making a list of the errors we get and we’ll have another bug hunt soon.

Give the time as close as you can using a computer clock and include the timezone. For example it’s 9:40 AM EST here now.

I try clicking on photos to “explode” them and instead get a flickering hourglass. So specific timestamp - happens every time I try it. Currently 9:09:15 am CST

Hi, Chris!

“Flame colors” does not accept comments…

Max

Alex, that part is a separate issue which I’m still diagnosing. Should be working in a few days.

Max, telling me “it won’t work” without giving details won’t get us anywhere… as I said above, I need a timestamp and/or the text of the failed post (email that to me).