Bug Reports & New Features

Chris S.: That’s pretty cool to see. Obviously, keeping it up-to-date would be cool. One thing that I figure should be fairly easy to do is standardize the measurements for the known engine displacements. For example, turn THIS:

" Abraham Kari in Finland has a 1983 Volvo 245, 2.3L I4, unit on trailer

Abraham Kari also has a 19XX Chevy Silverado truck, 350 V8, unit in bed"

Into…

" Abraham Kari in Finland has a 1983 Volvo 245, 140 ci (2.3L) I4, unit on trailer

Abraham Kari also has a 19XX Chevy Silverado truck, 350ci (5.7L) V8, unit in bed"

Right. Eventually it should be more of a database anyways, so I’ll hold off on redoing it until I can get time to do it right (and add everything since May '11).

What I’m thinking of is more like this: http://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage.php

Just FYI, a few maintenance fixes happening today, so the site’s been down occasionally. If you’re curious we just added 40GB of drive space and upgraded Drupal to the latest version.

I’ve been having an interesting “bug” that occasionally pops up. About once per day, I’ll have a random old (sometimes up to a year old) comment get marked as “NEW” which brings it back to the top of my list. I’ll have read all the comments after it and as far as I can tell, 98% of the time nothing was editted in the posts.

Something of interest is that this bug seems to have a “favorite”. About 60% of the time it is a Steve Unruh post, about 30% of the time it is a Wayne Keith post, and the other 10% of the time it is just random people.

Any ideas? Not a big issue in the long run but a tad annoying.

They’re all real edits. Steve U as you point out and Wayne too will often be reading an old post, notice a typo and fix it on the spot. You won’t notice a difference if it was a small typo.

On another note, the site should be loading a tad quicker now, anyone noticed a difference? This as of Saturday Apr 27. May not be noticeable on very slow connections, but we’re “responding” quicker to page requests.

Yep BrianH thazt is me alright. Sign my brain is turning to mush. Visual aphasia (sp) (ask the nursie Wife for the correction) and I only see the problem a day or two or three later and then correct.
I have wanted to writing retire now for the last two years.
Some of the fellows here now like Henry Austin give me hope now to be able to kick back and just veg out now with the oldest dog and cat napping away.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Could we set up the permissions to allow users to delete our own comments? I haven’t tested it everywhere, but I know at least the Premium section I get this message when trying to delete my own comments (usually from a double-post):
" Access Denied

Sorry, we can’t let you in here. Some pages are restricted to Premium members only; to sign up for Premium membership please visit the store or contact us.

If you are a Premium member already, be sure you’re logged in. Possibly the page you tried to access was an admin-only page. Please contact us if you need help."

Hi Brian,

There are specific reasons I can’t allow that, especially once people have replied to it. If you want to remove a comment the easiest way is to edit it and just leave a dot or asterisk instead.

As far as double posts, just leave them there and I’ll fix them as soon as I see them.

I think the reply notification section might be broken. Normally when I subscribe to a thread and someone comments on it, I get an email say who commented on what thread and what they said… I now get this:
" Hi [comment-subscribed:author:field-firstname],

[comment:author] has commented on: “[comment:node:title]”

----[comment:body] ----

Unsubscribe from this topic: [comment-subscribed:unsubscribe-url]"

Thanks Brian,

It was a bug in the system, should be fixed now.

The site was down for awhile this morning, due to fiber optic issues.

For future reference, I’ve set up a group to post the site status, plus any small discussions that need to happen whenever the site goes down. Please join if you like. There’ll only be a few posts from this group, so set it to individual emails. If you know the site is down, just email the list and I’ll check it out right away.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/driveonwood

Spammers… some are clever and some are not. ALL are prolific (like cockroaches).

Sam Foelster replied to one today, who promptly deleted the spam links and claimed to not be spamming! And then Sam apologized to the spammer! Sorry Sam, but once bitten twice shy - they were not honest with you or any of us (actually from the Philippines, not LA).

Just FYI, spammers always get deleted, so if you reply to them, your comments will disappear as well.

Well Chris,

I must try to retrieve my honor: I knew she was spamming, because the links were tied to familiar websites. You had removed similar spam posts before, that were linking to the same sites. Located in Europe, I am one of the first observers of the overnight spamming, when I log on in the morning. Some are obviously spamming, like this morning this “popo-guy” (in german, “popo” means a** in baby talk…). Some are smarter, as you said.

But what was really funny, is this: Her blog title was “Find happiness without spending a lot”. On DOW!

I just had to answer … I know one should not, but I couldn’t help it …
I kept it, since I knew Chris would delete it:

"Dear Mrs. Lewis,

you seriously mean to try to tell people on a woodgassing site how they can

“Find happiness without spending a lot”!?

This is the BY FAR dumbest spam posting that one might ever see in his or her entire life!
Ludicrous beyond any words!!
Congratulations!!!
You made my day!

Sam from Germany"

I didn’t expect an answer, not at all! Surprisingly enough, she replied shortly thereafter, claiming “not spamming, just sharing information”. I noticed that she had removed those links in her original post, which now just looked like a “weirdo sect mission statement” … still scary enough!

In my apology, I tried to be ironic, but this didn’t work out I guess!

Anyway, I am still soundly amused that someone tries to tell the people on DOW how to “Find happiness without spending a lot”.

Best regards,

Sam

Sam, I like your sense of humor! You have your honor back in my eyes :slight_smile:
Don

Thanks, Don!

Ha! Ha! Too funny SamF. Too fuel cut and prep to keep a woodgasifier Beast fed is a lot of continuous Work that will never end.
Yes obviously some of these spam posts that filter through are machine generated. Very futile to say anything at all and you might just allow a harmful download.
But . . . some obviously set up with a human crafted “normal” sounding name and a “reasonable” registered location and so do have a real live human at the other end. On my own E-mail account these get extra special attenion I cannot repeat here.
Here, I like to “dead crow”, “dead cyotoe” get a reponse post up myself with that name in it that will remain as a visible warning that hundreds of pairs of memeber eyes are watching for your like scum kin and WE participating members do not appriciate your “free” non-relevent “information”. Crows, and coyotes are smart, and very wary, and move on usually seeing thier dead hanging up rotting in the wind.
Doing this sometimes does sometimes get me extra special attention from one if them. “No good deed goes unpunished”.
Ha! Ha! To one of the last two I tagged I say you will have to try much harder to crash/lock up my system. The more you try, the more I learn of you, and the closer I get to standing at your door.

Washington State Steve Unruh - my door is very searchable with this information. Mind the local Sasquash, the Dogs and my mean feisty Rooster.

Content removed by author

Thanks Wayne for giving him the boot. I was out under a truck…

All new accounts will now be moderator approved. Should slow them down.

How hard would it be to add a link in the user’s photos gallery to the thread where a picture was originally posted? I was just looking back at a user’s gallery and saw some really cool looking… Things… I have no idea what they are because all the context for the picture is probably in the forum thread somewhere. If we had a link to that forum thread, I’d be able to go there and see that the person was posting pictures of their home-made railgun. :slight_smile:

Thanks Brian, that goes on the list. The general photo section already works that way. Just a bit more coding to do… :slight_smile: