Been awhile since I updated this. In the meantime, I got some other springtime work done (more left to do), took a trip to Alabama, did my taxes, even moved a popular website over to a completely new platform… and whaddaya know, the chunker didn’t finish itself, it’s just been sitting there the whole time. Guess I should get back to it.
I’ve pulled out the gearbox for an overhaul. There’s some slop in the pinion shaft, which is not good for a long lived machine. I removed the bearing cover, and had to make a long spanner to remove two bearing locknuts.
After some deliberation, it appears that the only way to access the pinion is from the inside. Meaning the rest of the chunker innards have to be removed, just for access. Yes, this is as bad as it sounds… It’s OK, I think it’s worth doing as a learning process and simply breathing some life into this worn out gearbox. So, next step is to drain the oil and remove the output shaft, center chunk and then (hopefully) the pinion from the inside.
The oil in it is the consistency of thick pudding, I drained it as best I could but there’s a thick layer left in there.
With the oil mostly out, I started pulling bolts off. Soon enough I ran across one of those pesky locknuts again. This one was too much for my one tooth wrench, so I had to build a sturdier “box-end” type.
It took some doing, but I got it off. Unfortunately the shaft is still stuck.
So, I am gathering my tools of persuasion… something’s going to give. Gently. We hope.