3 Likes

A thousand “Likes” to you ! :wine_glass:

4 Likes

yeah, i mean’t one of those… :grin:

3 Likes

some people just have to much fun…

9 Likes

8 Likes

Whoo, wait!!! Need a little more description–especially the last picture!!! :thinking: Is the one picture a fire tube made out of ceramic wool?? TomC

1 Like

2 Likes

4 Likes

Hi Tom,
Its a ceramic sleeve with refractory around it and then ceramic wool to insulate

4 Likes

Post 87: Almost pure CO!! (But how do you get 107%? turn up the magnification / gain??) :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Mike,
No, that is not a gain but merely a not so perfect span calibration ex supplier ( 0 to 100% gas calibration)
my guess is that they used less pure gas for the 100%
Considered that the input in the reactor was Co2 welding gas only, then the outcome is as i expected but anyhow exciting.

3 Likes

Ok i think you covered the ceramic blanket with fire cement, Or Some other coating. Well i need too coat my ceramic blanket secondary burn chamber on my water boiler, due too i can feel the ceramic particles floating around the the heating stove areas. The next ceramic blanket stove or gasifier is getting coated on serface before it go’s intoo Use. too keep the particles from migrateing around, Hope its not as deadly as esbestes. Works good at keeping the heat in though.I am coating the one im useing before next winter.BBB.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Inside the hell hole

5 Likes

The guys building metal forges have a very active community and have lots of experience using ceramic blanket insulation.

The collective wisdom on those forums is that rigidizing and coating your fiber insulation is really important. Coating the fibers help prevent them from shedding silicate dust or a “fume” that can develop at high temperatures.

5 Likes

ITC-100:

It’s not cheap, but that’s what most of the folks around here use on top of 2400°F kaowool for our gas forges. But I don’t think it would stand up well if you have even slightly dirty gas going by it. Even with clean gases, it and the blanket under it needs replacing after a couple hundred hours.
You can see some details relating to our gas forges here:
https://spaco.org/Blacksmithing/PipeForge/PipeForgeAndPropane.htm

Pete Stanaitis

3 Likes

Hi Koen good evening, or its evening now. IT looks as if you poured raw iron strait in your ceramic kiln , no other metal pot,IS THAT HOW IT CAN BE DONE ? I want too melt some aluminum sooner or later.Thanks for posting your outfit forge design.LOOKS NEAT.

1 Like

PEET THanks for posting the rigidizor. think i am going too water glass serface of my blanket, it wont get much over 1000f after i add fire brick over blanket. this unit of mine is not as hot as forge, the water glass i think will suffice for rigidizor top coat dust seal. Koen might want too water glass outside of his forge for dust control measure.I would hate too be stuck in a factory spalwning that ceramic blanket on the machine.

3 Likes

Hi Kevin,

Ooops, no , its not metal, its carbon…

You can call it an “electric gasifier” ?

3 Likes

We’re the 4 students? getting ready to hook up a gas analyzer?

Sorry couldn’t resist :wink::wink::wink:

Oh yeah the pictures of the equipment and readouts were great.

6 Likes