Erawan Energy Solutions

yeah i know, just 1 picture that fits the quote, the rest is just boring work… sorry for that :grin:

2 Likes

Good afternoon pete, did you say somthing about the ceramic fueming from not being coated with rigidizor or coatings, Just woundered if you have any info or explain what is meant by fueming, of the ceramic blanket not coated. IT ALL seems important too the feild of ceramic kilns or burners.THANKS.

1 Like

Kevin:
I didn’t say anything about fuming of the material. But there can be a concern about particles of the refractory material getting into the air and then into a person’s lungs.
Here is a link to some discussion about that:
https://spaco.org/Blacksmithing/PipeForge/OriginalPeotForgeconstrText.htm
See the “Caution” note in the second or third paragraph. I think I also read someplace that the ITC-100 material also helps to keep the particles out of the air.
By the way, if you are shocked at the price of the ITC-100, there is a cheaper product called “Satanitie”;
Here, a guy talks about it as he coats the Kaowool in his gas forge with it:

He applies a really thick coating. With ITC-100, we just paint on one layer, maybe 1/16" thick or less. Also, I don’t thiink the Satanite has the re-radiation characteristic of the ITC-100, but that may not be an issue for you if you are only running at 1000°F or so.

Pete Stanaitis

3 Likes

Hi pete and koen, dont know if you seen this right up about water glass i post here too help the info i just found. ArtMolds Sodium Silicate/ Water Glass or Liquid Glass.

1 Like

hi koen Good evening , i found this other thread on useing colloidal sillica/ or fuemed sillica with water added, it apears its cheaper than waterglass and holds up in heat too at least 3000 f . the forge builders say they have better results with the fuemed sillica. Add water too get coloidal sillica. says works well with ceramic blanket coating forges.Just woundered if you have any experiance useing fuemed sillica as a ridgedizor for any projects, gess its sold on ebay as epoxy filler allso.??THANKS.

1 Like

Hi Kevin,
For my purpose i can not use refractory with “waterglas” contents, the heating coil, kanthal A1, does not like it.
I use a mix of refractory cement with waterglas to make some products, also mixed with fibers from ceramic blankets, depending the purpose and my needs.

the most important piece to understand, is how you cure, dry and bake, temperature rates to apply and so on…
Imagine that i do pulverize, in some occasions, refractory bricks that can withstand 1800ºC and this in matters of hours…
For the purpose as depicted above, i use a 4"by 6" ceramic sleeve, high alumina, loose inserted in the refractory cylinder with the heating coil surrounding the sleeve.
The set is then covered with 2" layers of ceramic blanket.
To make that 2" layer glow on the outside, imagine the temp inside…
Now i made the test setup with extra layers and a new frame to support the whole set.

I try to study/design/analyze per component/function and then combine the required components/functions into a working set.

Not always succesful ( the pictures i don’t post ofcourse :grin: )

5 Likes

Hi Koen THANKS for the info on your mixes, i strive too build too finish projects, and make mistakes as i learn what i am working with, my biggest Quest at the time being is i have a wood burner boiler with a large secondary burn chamber, all working great, except the ceramic blanket if floating around my shop i think anyway as i coaght the flu and my throat seems agitated. Thats why i am looking for the cheapest way too coat my ceramic blanket as soon as this mi winter weather changes to some warmer weather, i will pull my ceramic blanket out of the hole bottom chamer and dipp the blanket in about 1//4" all the way around and then slide it back in place too let set up and dry. Well not enough info gathered yet on useing fumed silica too make coloidal silica rigidizor, so i am going for the sodium silica for now, only about 300 f degree diference any way for now.

2 Likes

Hi Kevin,

i use Sodium Metasilicate that i find in the chemical department. Next a few clips, how to make it by yourselves and what nice thing it can be used for ( DIY )

i boil the sodium silica into a water like liquid and then mix it with refractory cement. ( replacing the amount of water normally needed)

I pay about 2$ for a kg of the sodium silicate

If applied on ceramic blanket and subsequently heated, it has some great effect

Its fun to play with, most certainly if you have a purpose for it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the extra info on sodium metasillicat Or sodium sillicate.many uses There seem too be a large options for ceramic coatings and or fire brick mixes. Now i see more types of coatings, including the satanite pete menchend for a final paste type coat.THANKS For posting the additional coating mixes.:christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree:

2 Likes

Good evening Koen, i see there are several chemicle differences between sodium silicate, is the sodium metasilicate the you use any hotter, and did know what kind the sillica jels desicants are. or is there a type of sodium silicate not too use.Thanks PS. I bought some of the fumed silica today and will post what kind of results i get.

2 Likes

HI THERE koen i backed out on my fuemed silica for now, i may buy sample and test later. is there a on line place too get that cheaper water glass jells. i need about 5 gallon of water glass, desicate gells or the liquid stuff.THANKS.

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

just go for the “sodium metasilicate” powder, mix that with water, boil untill complete dissolved and use it as you intend it. Its cheap and easy, no need to try to make your own unless you want to spent time and effort…

for reference: Sodium silicate - Wikipedia
this is what i am talking about…

3 Likes

getting shape, the new test rig

6 Likes

Good evening Koen what is the new unit testing for, is this unit prototype for building later, One would be hard too beleive how many ways too improve these char&wood fuel mizor machines. I found some meta silicate in the chemicle department, i wounder if 15 pounds of powder for 33 $ free ship, how many gallons of water would that make. not sure how too calculate makeing 40 percent consintrated waterglass.

kevin, my calculations say you would need 3.33 pound of powder per 1 gallon water to make 40%.
Somebody smarter than me can correct if l’m wrong.

2 Likes

i take the challenge :grin: ( i am not smarter but spent my time doing easy things the difficult way )
correct me if i am wrong…

1 gallon water = 8,36 pounds, what have to count for 60 % of the mixture

so; divide 8,36 by 60 and then you multiply by 40 to get the 40% powder weight of the mixture

= 5,56 pounds of powder with 1 gallon of water…

2 Likes

Well, now Koen, l’m pretty sure. You are. Smarter than me BUT, 5.6 is more than half of 8.3 so that can’t be 40 %.

2 Likes

Hi Andy, hence your confusion…
You calculate 40 % from the weight of a gallon, i calculate the total mixture weight.
The mix of the waterglass should be 40%…

so, if you ad 5,56 + 8,36 then you have a total mixture weight of 13,92 pounds
where as 40% is sodium silica and 60% is water…

if you ad 3,33 pounds powder to 8,36 pounds of water you’l have a total mixture weight of 11,69 pounds
where as the ratio then becomes 29% sodium silica and 71% water

only if you deduct the 40% of the water weight and replace that by the sodium silicate powder, then you get
3,33 pounds of sodium silica mixed with 5,03 pounds of water in a ratio 40% sodium silica to 60% water…

3 Likes

Hi Kevin,

To obtain a mix ratio 40/60 you have to ad 2,69 Gallons of water to the 15 pounds of sodium silica.

The rig build is for prototyping gasifier components and yes, there are so many ways how things can be done inside gasifiers.

Each component build and tested always seems to lead me to finding other things to do, to explore other ways how things can be done…

3 Likes

Thanks KOEN AND ANDY much for the help, i did the worst at math and reading.Now i have GOOD idea of how too get started, i have located some powder does this look too be the right stuff too make the water glass type you make.https://m.bonanza.com/listings/sodium-metasilicate-15-lb-consists-of-3-5-lb-packs-9790/414237922?goog_pla=1&gpid=318766195659&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o6&ad_type=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwndvlBRANEiwABrR32HnBgfn6gUmJ-wwg9fMkPbvYa0-ofHlBZMz4lk2snZAcFgVBT-vsZhoCw_wQAvD_BwE#
IS this a fair price.

2 Likes