Gilmore style?

Everyone wants to be seen as a “chopper” rider. Something to do with being manly.TomC

1 Like

Some like it hot…
Almost molten the Thermocouple… rated 1200°C, just a quick in and out…

4 Likes

Good morning Koen .

Inside the gasifier can be considered HOT AS THE HALLS OF HELL

5 Likes

After 100 year of following and studying woodgas, I have a very basic question that I have felt was to dumb to ask. But I’m not accidentally running across the answer, so I ask the dumb question. " How do these women keep from getting CO2 poisoning when cooking with charcoal or even charcoal gas from something like Koen"s gasifier???" So---- there I asked it. Sock it to me for not asking 100 years ago. TomC

3 Likes

Hi Tom,
Guessing you mean CO or Carbon Monoxide. I have a CO detector that I have been meaning to hook to my shirt while cooking spaghetti and pasta on my outdoor stove, and while dumping the char into a container. Last week a bunch of school kids were hauled to the hospital after several passed out in class due to a CO leak. They were describing the symptoms, and I said to myself, “that’s exactly how I feel after cooking on my stove”. I have never passed out, though, at least not while cooking. (I save that for my Siesta, after eating a big meal.) BTW, dear wife purchased a .410 Mossberg Pump shotgun and some special home defence shells, thanks to your recommendation. She also bought me some fresh shells for my 12 gauge…

6 Likes

Hi Tom, Ray,
Answer to the question…
CO2 is “much” more heavy then air so that tend to flow to the bottom, unless vented , it can be deadly but not as CO.
In europe we have some slaughterhouses that uses a deep pit , filled with CO2, to sedate/kill the feedstock before slaughter.

CO however, is “slightly” more light then air and will flow in the upper parts of the room. Even small amounts can pose greater danger. Therefore only in open , vented spaces.

The question was a bit tricky, CO2 or CO involved, coz the fires, used in open space or as in the question, will barely produce unburned CO.
CO2 will be produced in any situation where as Carbon combusted/oxydised or where as fermentation processes take place.

First aid, and in my opinion a must have if CO is involved: Oxygen bottle for first life saving measures

The most occuring symptom for CO intoxication is headache, this is just moments before passing out, more other symptoms can also be related to other gasses, so be aware. It is not always easy noticeable !!!

Try to stay in a room with argon leaking bottle, you will notice some of the symptoms, but not as severe, and no headache.

Trying to keep this short and save: stay well vented… Install CO detection in your house wherever open flame is involved.

4 Likes

Hi Koen
I think I read in some topics in arrears, you Regulate your temperature reactor with a PDI, a thermocouple and a solenoid valve.

Or you find that sort of kit?

I find it reassuring to have a temperature control for my first test.

Thierry

Thanks Koen and Ray. Thanks for tolerating my confusion. I thoroughly understand wood gasification but I guess my confusion is where we get partial burned carbon gases. You and I exhale CO2 and the tree take it in. But in the house when I have a fire in the fireplace I have to watch out for CO cause that can kill ya. And like the fire in the fire place, sniff’n on the tail pipe of a running car is the same. Why didn’t that CO all change to CO2 when it came in contact with air (O2) This is rhetorical just trying to explain how I get confused Thanks again TomC

1 Like

Carbon monoxide burning is a shift reaction correctly displayed like this: O2 + 2CO ←→ 2CO2 so it is inposible for all the CO to react. The reaction is depended on the conditions like presure and temperature.

1 Like

I’m guessing this is why you don’t see any charcoal gasifiers being manufactured or sold by big companies. As simple as it is to understand the importance of good ventilation, you know that if enough people adopted this technology, a few would end up dying of CO poisoning. The liability would be too high.

1 Like

CoryW,
ouch…
isn’t the gas the same as in an wood gasifier ?

1 Like

Kristijan,
for complete combustion, stoichiometric, 1Kg CO + 0,57Kg O2 = 1,57 Kg CO2
normal full combustion is adviced to use 120% of the air needed…

1 Like

Thierry,
Correct, using one defined measuring point for the TC and use it with a PID to control a solenoid to keep the core temperature within the desired levels.
Solenoid for endothermic materials as exhaust gasses or water vapor.

1 Like

Yes. Wasn’t meant to be a jab at gasification, Just reality

Nothing’s perfect. If cars ran perfectly there’d be no CO in the exhaust. Same for woodgas… a little bit goes right through the motor without burning. Better tune up = less CO emissions.

4 Likes

Hi Koen

the solenoid valve operates in all or nothing (open 100% or 100% closed)?

Thierry

Hi Thierry,
Yes in this test setup it does, but with some tricks of course :wink:
Having a minimum pipe and a maximum restriction, the solenoid never closes the minimum (hand valve on secondary pipe )
Imagination is the only restriction in life :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You are absolutley right Koen but eaven with 120% of oxigen it is not posible to burn absolutley every molecule of CO becouse every chemical reaction has a diferent reaction rate coeffitient. That tells the amount of reactants that will actualy react to form products. Unfortunaly l cant find my old textbook with the table of reaction rate coeffitients for most usual reactions. They are usualy guite high meaning most (lets say 99,5% or more) of reactants will actualy convert to products but with a poisonous substance the 0.5% can not be neglected.

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
That is exactly why woodgas is to prefer above gasoline…
Less reactants in the fuel (read producer gas ), much cleaner emissions… lets keep it that way… clean and green…

3 Likes

yup, i am learning how to weld the bigger things …

and she’s happy with it :wink:

Ow yeah, this one is for a huge distill / cooking set (booze) , to provide the heat for the cooking

3 Likes