Gilmore style?

Look here how the flame color went from blue to red and back to blue after startup…

Its the gas quality rapidly changing in the small reaction zone

once a steady constant flow, within its limits, it stays nice colored blue

2 Likes

Wow Koen, that is impressive. Kilograms and kilometers don’t click in my brain until I did the conversions. It looks like that little truck gets 5.3 miles per pound! What size engine is that and what does that truck weigh?
Back when you first started with charcoal you showed your barrel retort with tin over it as how you made charcoal and a hatchet to break it up into smaller pieces. Do you still do it that way or did you come up with an easy way?
Keep up the good work!
Don

4 Likes

Hi Don,

I made some improvements on the charcoal fabrication, someone else does that job at the moment ;-), but i will post some pictures after, how he makes it and how i make it small sized…

The tuk tuk is and 600 cc 3 cylinder, daihatsu, SE200 engine with a simple injection system.
I think the total weight is about 400 kg, coz i can’t lift it wearing flip flops…

The speed tested at the ride was between 60 and 80 km/Hr
Awaiting some good instrumentation for measuring correct rpm and so on.
Not sure about the OBD it has.
As i am doing to much different things at the same time, i have barely enough time to find out things what i would like to do. Going from presentation to next show, almost daily basis…

The good news, it always works :wink:
I have made many progresses, which i would like to share, just finding the right words to write them down, without sounding as a “wise guy” if you understand :wink:

The biggest joy i have is doing these practical experiments and having some people being able to copy the results to put them at their use.

5 Likes

Anyone who can put stuff together and make it work is wise. You are too humble. Can’t wait to see how you do it all.

5 Likes

Koen good evening, going by your 120 km in 2 and 3/4 hour, it sounds like the little truck is made for in town or trail and about 25 miles per hour crues speed or steady speed long haul low rpm,or am i off on my calculations.Thanks,keep the bamboo charing.Excuse my choppy english,i dident fair that well in english,and or reading comprehension.

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

The speed was from the trike with the 125cc engine, drove that to the show in the night…
it consumes about 3kg charcoal per 100 KM
Going to install a speedo meter :wink:

The Tuk Tuk truck , i drive at average speed between 60 and 80 Km/hour, not sure about rpm yet.
Just listening to the engine … i love the torque of that little engine, dough the gearing between 3 and 4 is to long to overcome some hills…
1,2 and 3 are short, 4 and 5 are long…
consuming average 5,3 Kg/100 Km
will install some more gizmo’s to obtain data for using in further development.

4 Likes

OK 45 too 50 mph sounds plenty fast enough for city driving, Thats good economy biomass MP pound THANKS.

1 Like

Cleaning out the gasifier , next mornings…
Don’t try this when hot :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

And refill it…

4 Likes

Hi Koen , Nice looking charcoal you have there looks almost uniform in shape like pellets , was that made from your bamboo and then sized down ? it looks 1 inch long straw’s . sure wish I could grow bamboo here in Australia where I am that fast looks a lot less dusty than my hardwoods when charred
Dave

1 Like

Hi Dave &,

Its made of the twigs and branches of the bamboo, first charred, then put in a shredder with a sieve

Dust blown out during sieving after the shredder :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Koen; Do you ever have to empty just “ashes” from around the nozzle?TomC

1 Like

Hi Tom,

Only few or little, as you can see with the movie in slow motion, in the case with bamboo, due to the high silica content, it gets vitrified quit fast…
Awaiting a thermocouple and some more stuf to find out at what temperatures this happens…

1 Like

Some of the tools for charcoal fuel making …

1: The kiln, capacity around 150 kg dry wood

2: My grinders…

6 Likes

Hey Koen, I’m catching up on my videos… Can you share anything about the circuitry for the spark plug igniter? Would be a nice addition to my flare stack!
Best regards David Baillie

1 Like

Koen, did you empty the charcoal so it could be dried because it was too wet? Thanks for posting this information.

1 Like

Hi Ray,

No, not to wet, but i use this as a part in my training course here to do good maintenance for the farmers to use this.
if the charcoal is dry and clean, they can start it more easy, faster and it produces less smoke.
15 seconds for dry, 3 minutes for “wet”
If the whole content of the gasifier is wet, then it takes time for the gasifier to balance in.

But the whole is showing these effects, for others to understand their own builds.

2 Likes

Hi David,

I am using some other stuff at the moment, but these are what i ordered , hope they arrive soon…
I put them on the same PWM that controls the little fan.

3 pcs for less then 10$ :stuck_out_tongue:

experimenting is fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Koen thanks. So the device acts as a coil? Is there some sort of an impulse generator? Really interesting…

1 Like

its a coil with all inside already, just at the input voltage, and enjoy the sparks…

1 Like