Gilmore style?

Koen,
Impressive! How do you keep up with the languages you don’t use much? I know some german but it’s fading away because I hardly use it any more.

You might have noticed TomC picking on us metric guys for beeing spoiled because we only had to learn to count to ten.
Now it’s pay back time… :smile:

3 Likes

hi Jo,

somehow technic and languages are easy for me,
social skills i am far below average…

daily using 5 languages helps a lot to be a “wise guy”
playing Macgyver every day, helps with technic…

to make the difference between metric and that other stuff more complicated… :slight_smile:
why does an hour have 60 minutes, or a minute have 60 seconds, or a circle have 360 degrees ?
a day has 24 hours… and so on…
Why not 100st or 1000st ?
why 60 ?

2 Likes

Yeah, and then 1/10 s and 1/100 s.
Some of the old dictators should have put an end to all this nonsense :smile:
Maybe you know of our danish neighbour’s numeral system.
They still use the old 20-base:

50 = halvtreds ( 3 X 20 - 20/2 )
60 = tres ( 3 X 20 )
70 = halvfjerds ( 4 X 20 - 20/2 )
…and so on…

Imagine walking into a danish store asking for pricing :dizzy_face:

5 Likes

Hi Jo,

actually its a bit of a trick question, why 60

its a simple reason, imo genius…

60 is the only number that you can divide by
2,3,4 and 5…

Its already very old, but many don’t know why…

3 Likes

Koen, we have a saying here roughly translated as “the more languages you know, the more you are worth”. Ist more poetical in my language but the point is l am inpressed with your repertoar. With that language/technical knowlidge vs social skills we are on the same page.

JO,
Man l sure hope Danish people know English if l ever visit.

4 Likes

It’s because the people way,way, back many, many years ago counted the days it took the earth to go around the sun, and when, divided them up and countulated it all down, they came up with the seconds, minutes, hours, days. They use it in nativigation by dividing the earth up by 360 degrees and minutes. To make a long story short, like TonC says they weren’t spoiled and only had to learned to count to 10.
Bob

2 Likes

Hi Bob,

Yes and therefore the 60… dividable by 2,3,4 and 5

5 Likes

Koen,
I watched the whole video! Your part at the end was great, and I also enjoyed the bamboo charcoal making. Did I see the other folks making waste bamboo fibers into clean fiber for thread and woven cloth? that part was a bit murky for me, English only and some of my 40 years ago high-school German classes! BTW, why in black and white? just for drama? :slight_smile: Back then, we learned Metric, and I use both.

3 Likes

Hi Mike,

Yes, that is the whole thing, using ALL from bamboo, including making the fibers for different products.
a ZERO waste project, where my part is to make the energy and the activated charcoal amongst the research.

The Black and white comes from the broadcasting media, the passing away from the King this week, they will mourn for a year.
It turns in color of you look at it full screen.

3 Likes

Koen,
Thank you for the explaination. My sincere condolences for Tailand.

3 Likes

New project on the way…

2 Likes

You are really going all the way there. Could you describe the process that you will use to catalyze the syngas to produce the methanol or is it proprietary?

1 Like

Hi Robin,

its basically a straight forward process, comparable with a car’s cat…
but with some “twist” regarding how to apply pressure and how to control the heat exchange.

combining the whole setup in one, makes it, far out, very efficient.

Actually, any system would be efficient, if you have a use for all energy evolved from the processes in use…

If i go further, with the above diagram, then how much water from the primary feedstock i can evaporate, with the 80Kwh waste heat, and even may use it to produce drinking water ? or to desalinate sea water ?

Gasification, in particular using your own grown, well managed woody biomass, is well known to be a good, if not the best solution…

Once you can handle it “farmer style” or as i love to call it, the Mc Gyver style, then you can build almost anything …

5 Likes

Thanks Koen. A liquid fuel from wood/charcoal would be very desirable!

5 Likes

I LOVE THIS DESIGN PHILOSOPHY

1 Like

What do you think of this source of information?

Thierry

This is a joke. And a dangerous one too. It allso doesent shoew enough details.

If you are intarasted in FTS l am planing to get to it agen, lll post findings here.

3 Likes

yes, the explanation of the processes FTs could have its own page in my opinion in DOW

Thierry

It has, in the wood gas science category. Gas to liquid. If you have questions it is perhaps best to write them there.
There are at least 2 members on this site with experiances with FTS, one is Koen (he doesent show much details due to a contract l think) and the other is me, and l have forgot a lot about it. But l must say Koen did wake up my interest so l might just make a snall reactor in one of these days :slight_smile:

6 Likes

only in conjunction with a gasifier imho… woodgas as fuel is the goal… driving on wood the name of the game…

The link above might be fun for those who don’t know, but for others a bit disturbing…
Not even understandable what they are telling or describing…

So, anything with flammable liquids or gasses, high pressures and so on… should be performed by skilled or trained personell only… Its not idiots whom kill themselves… its innocent bystanders that gets hurt…

To the point: making your own gasoline DIY ? a kind of hoax… making flammable liquid yes… gasoline? no way… useable liquid to run your engines ? yes, but not for dummy’s…

6 Likes